Disney show gets animated

crazy4wdw

Moderator - Restaurant Board
TOURISM & TRAVEL
Disney show gets animated

Scott Powers and Christopher Boyd | Sentinel Staff Writers
Posted April 9, 2007

A ride through the Mexico Pavilion at Epcot's World Showcase now includes an adventure with Donald Duck, Jose Carioca and Panchito, the heroes of the 1944 Disney film The Three Caballeros.

Walt Disney World just reopened the Mexico Pavilion ride with the new film Gran Fiesta Tour Starring The Three Caballeros, replacing El Rio Del Tiempo.

Riders take a boat tour as a live-action film portrays the beauty and culture of Mexico. The live-action sights are overlaid with an animated story about the reunion of the caballeros for a grand performance in Mexico City.

But Donald Duck disappears to take in the sights of the country, and Jose the parrot and Panchito the Mexican charro rooster must find their missing friend in time to save the show.

Costumed characters of Donald Duck, Jose Carioca and Panchito will mingle with visitors just outside the pavilion.

Elmo's World

SeaWorld Orlando has opened its new Elmo and the Bookaneers show at the Bayside Stadium, opening what Busch Entertainment expects will be a long, close relationship with the makers of the Sesame Street TV show.

The live show features Elmo, Bert, Ernie, Cookie Monster, Abby Cadabby and other characters from the popular children's TV show in an adventure involving pirates and books.

The full-scale production will feature special effects, stage-, lake- and sky-based action, and SeaWorld animals.

Laughs at last

After a trial run in December and January and a reworked show, Walt Disney World has finally opened the Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor comedy show starring the one-eyed monster character Mike Wozowski from the movie Monsters Inc.

In the Magic Kingdom show, Mike and other animated comedians run through an 11-minute comedy routine, mixing jokes and interactive technology to talk with and respond to the audience.

Hotel style

Radisson Hotels & Resorts last week launched an online boutique that allows customers to buy items that are part of the hotel chain's furnishings and products.

The chain, a division of Carlson Hotels Worldwide, is selling high-quality linens, bath products and even beds. The company is marketing the commodities through the www.radissonguestboutique.com.

Radisson joins a growing list of hotel chains selling goods to guests. Some hotels even offer clothing that their staffs wear on duty in lobby gift shops. Radisson says its decision to launch a product line is a way to connect with its guests in a new way.

Coke is it

Southwest Airlines, the dominant carrier at Orlando International, has extended its contract with the Coca-Cola Co. through 2011. Financial terms of the three-year extension were not disclosed.

The company will continue supplying the airline with soft drinks such as Coke, Diet Coke and Sprite as well as Seagram's mixers and Minute Maid juices.

Back in the air

US Airways Group Inc. plans to recall 26 more pilots this month through December to serve as first officers on 100-seat aircraft the carrier is adding to serve smaller markets. US Airways, which was sixth in market share at Orlando International in January, also intends to call back about 90 laid-off flight attendants to fill vacancies caused by attrition, spokesman Philip Gee said last week.

The flight-attendant recalls aren't related to the growing fleet of Embraer 190 jets, he said.

US Airways said the pilot recalls are in addition to its January announcement that it would call back up to 274 pilots during this year's first half.

Information from Bloomberg News was used in this report. Scott Powers can be reached at spowers@orlandosentinel.com or 407-420-5441. Christopher Boyd can be reached at cboyd@orlandosentinel.com or 407-420-5723.

Saw Monsters Laugh Floor last Monday and enjoyed it and hope someday they can make it longer (after the crowds lessen and the standard joke catalogue grows).
Was surprised to find Mexico ride open on Friday, having not read anything about its opening. It was very enjoyable. Basically the same show with a few updates, but with the 3 characters flying through and around the scenes (and a hanging Donald pinyata). Now instead of a boring documentary, it is a lighter happier trip through Mexico:wizard:

not a fan?

Not at all. There's really no replay factor there. It's the exact same jokes each and every time. If it were more like Crush in that it's mostly improv'd, it'd be much better. I understand you'll still get crap shows. You'll also get some great shows too. That's the nature of improv. What's the point in hearing the same jokes each and every time? Someone in another thread compared it to the Jungle Cruise. However, with the Jungle Cruise you at least have things to look at and different skippers. Plus, the jokes are SUPPOSED to be corny, or as a friend of mine puts it: "punny." A handful of jokes told by a screen just doesn't seem like it will bring people back. Some freinds of mine have young nephews coming in a week. I'm going to be very interested in how kids feel about it. I imagine, they'll probably find it funny the first time...but I'm curious if they're still laughing during another performance.

If anyone has some "kid reviews" on it, I'd be really interested.

Not at all. There's really no replay factor there. It's the exact same jokes each and every time. If it were more like Crush in that it's mostly improv'd, it'd be much better. I understand you'll still get crap shows. You'll also get some great shows too. That's the nature of improv. What's the point in hearing the same jokes each and every time? Someone in another thread compared it to the Jungle Cruise. However, with the Jungle Cruise you at least have things to look at and different skippers. Plus, the jokes are SUPPOSED to be corny, or as a friend of mine puts it: "punny." A handful of jokes told by a screen just doesn't seem like it will bring people back. Some freinds of mine have young nephews coming in a week. I'm going to be very interested in how kids feel about it. I imagine, they'll probably find it funny the first time...but I'm curious if they're still laughing during another performance.

If anyone has some "kid reviews" on it, I'd be really interested.
I assume you've seen it multiple times. I have only seen it once, so I can't verify that jokes are re-used. Many of the jokes used in our show would have been difficult to work in to another show. I thought it was VERY similar to Crush, only with a much larger theater. Sort of like a mix between Crush tech and Jungle Cruise style humor. If the jokes are indeed being re-used, I still think it has the potential to be a very replayable attraction, because they only need expand on their "jokebase".

On the nature of the jokes, to be kid-friendly, they are probably going to be corny to most of us. Humor spread across generations is a tough thing to do well. I actually thought they pulled it off better than I expected. I would have given the show we saw a B.

I assume you've seen it multiple times. I have only seen it once, so I can't verify that jokes are re-used. Many of the jokes used in our show would have been difficult to work in to another show. I thought it was VERY similar to Crush, only with a much larger theater. Sort of like a mix between Crush tech and Jungle Cruise style humor. If the jokes are indeed being re-used, I still think it has the potential to be a very replayable attraction, because they only need expand on their "jokebase".

On the nature of the jokes, to be kid-friendly, they are probably going to be corny to most of us. Humor spread across generations is a tough thing to do well. I actually thought they pulled it off better than I expected. I would have given the show we saw a B.

I have seen it twice. I assume you heard the jokes about the Eiffel Tower, asking the kid in the audience what grade they were in, the same insults toward Roz, etc. etc. ad nauseum. The only thing was was different in our shows were the one joke they picked from an audience member. That was actually cool. Not funny, but cool. :) I was next to the guy in the queue as he texted his joke. I was worried all of the jokes would be coming from Glendale.

I also don't mind the corny jokes. I was a Kindergarten and 1st grade teacher. I've got an arsenal. I would have assumed, with it being linked to Pixar, the jokes would do a better job of closing that gap. My big complaint is the repetitive nature of the show.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!