Disney Resorts to start charging parking fees....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course she can. Just, please, don't let her do it with 50-250 of her friends and ignore requests to stop.

In 2 years, she will be going on her long anticipated chorus group trip. There will probably be 100 students just from her school. Im sure they will be singing their songs while walking along. Its what they do. 16 year old chorus students. Imagine them waiting in line for 2 hours to ride Splash Mountain. Should they stand in silence?

In 2 years, she will be going on her long anticipated chorus group trip. There will probably be 100 students just from her school. Im sure they will be singing their songs while walking along. Its what they do. 16 year old chorus students. Imagine them waiting in line for 2 hours to ride Splash Mountain. Should they stand in silence?

If I'm sandwiched in the middle of them, yes. :rolleyes:

I don't feel like retyping my entire post again so here's what I posted on another web site.
Well.......
I just got off the phone with Luke, a WDW Guest Experience Services Rep.
He thanked me for my three e mails and assured me that George was concerned by the large number of similar complaints that he's received. We discussed the current atmosphere on boards such as this one and he said that they do monitor them closely and have been concerned by the large up swelling of unhappy Disney customers who are commenting on the situation. He said they are particularly concerned by the sheer number of people who have taken the time to write Disney and express their displeasure. (The number of e mails seems to be a trigger for them so if anyone out there hasn't written one yet, do so.)
I explained our family situation insofar as we aren't in the "upper class" income bracket and a trip to WDW is a major financial commitment for us. The conversation went into the background of Boomers like myself who grew up having Walt in our homes every week on his TV programs and having the MM Club on the TV every school day evening. I told him that it has been the long time Disney devotees who have sustained the Disney Company for over fifty years and that I, and I presumed many others like me, were disappointed in the money grubbing attitude put forth by the Company in recent years. I mentioned Mr Igers astronomical income figure and noted that he was likely a valuable asset to them but those of us attending the parks feel like we're giving him large amounts of money and he's milking us dry to maintain that income level.
He assured me that the upper Management are paying close attention to the situation and have been discussing the unusually large response to the new fees. I explained that it wasn't the parking fees themselves that brought this situation on but an overall attitude of the Disney Company that we should just shut up and pay up. I went on to give him my Wife's take on the whole situation and told him that whether we return to WDW in future years or not will likely hinge on if she decides to go one more time, and how she feels about the experience. She, like many others, wants a fair return on our investment and if we have to keep shelling out more, and more, money for an experience that gives us less, and less, enjoyment we will stop visiting.
In closing he told me to keep an eye on the Fan sites, like this one, and the Disney Blogs and to not lose faith in Disney just yet.
I mentioned to him that I'd seen where Catherine Powell, Head of Disney Paris, had been named as the head of Disney Western Region, which includes WDW, and judging by her reputation as a customer oriented leader I was hoping that she could convince George to return to the old policy of "Customer First". He said he hadn't seen the news about Ms Powell but he would share our discussion with George personally.
I've spent a considerable number of years questioning/interrogating people and have developed a very acute BS meter.
This conversation was, IMO, a fishing expedition, and not a "canned response" call, for WDW Management to feel out whether we are serious about our angst over the new fees or if we are just venting for the moment. He was contrite and repeated that Disney valued those of us who spend our hard earned dollars at their venues. My feeling is that they had no idea that this issue would balloon to the proportions that it has and expected it to dry up and blow away in a couple of days.
Perhaps if people continue to make this a talking point the Management will accede to their unhappy customers and take some measures to sooth over our damaged faith in their judgment.
BTW; He never once mentioned the ridiculous "Industry Standard" stance.

I had a similar conversation last weekend with someone from George K’s office. The person I spoke to did not make excuses or attempt to offer any canned justification for the change; he just listened and assured me that the executives are reading messages and have received and unprecedented level of feedback about this particular change. I told him, essentially, that with all of the nickel and diming and negative changes, Disney is becoming like United Airlines for me — a company that used to have a good product but has destroyed it due to short sightedness, imposition of ridiculous fees, and poor customer service. I used to fly United all the time, but after a particularly poor experience a few years ago, I’m now done; I would swim to Australia before I will get there by flying United. And that is where Disney is headed; they will lose people and not be able to get them back. Maybe it won’t matter; that is the gamble they are making. But I have been going since the 1970s, and this fee is the last straw for me.

Consideration for their surroundings, most notably the other people in line/at the resort/in restaurants, will be appreciated. There's a lot to be said about conversing in small groups. Visitors who want to be serenaded can choose to see Disney official music shows and venues.

I had a similar conversation last weekend with someone from George K’s office. The person I spoke to did not make excuses or attempt to offer any canned justification for the change; he just listened and assured me that the executives are reading messages and have received and unprecedented level of feedback about this particular change. I told him, essentially, that with all of the nickel and diming and negative changes, Disney is becoming like United Airlines for me — a company that used to have a good product but has destroyed it due to short sightedness, imposition of ridiculous fees, and poor customer service. I used to fly United all the time, but after a particularly poor experience a few years ago, I’m now done; I would swim to Australia before I will get there by flying United. And that is where Disney is headed; they will lose people and not be able to get them back. Maybe it won’t matter; that is the gamble they are making. But I have been going since the 1970s, and this fee is the last straw for me.

At least they are somewhat listening to the complaints, but I think the bottom line is what they pay the most attention to.

Thanks UncleMike101 for sharing you recent call experience.

For some of you out there..........Even if you originally felt that sending off an email would not have an impact on the decision, please reconsider and send one out. The sheer volume of emails and letters may help move the needle a little bit............if not on this issue........maybe the next one.

I went ahead and emailed George’s email address, and added my voice to the chorus.

I went ahead and booked BWI for October, despite the parking fee. We're drinkers, after much discussion we decided its worth the fee to be able to walk to/from Food and Wine and not designate a driver. The very kind CM I booked with gave me the same spiel, that they are trying to be more in line with fees the other resorts in the area charge. She said all of that in a very sarcastic tone though, which indicated to me that she didn't agree with the charge either, and I have to say I very much appreciated that, LOL. I gave her straight 5's on her survey.

I was just remembering how I used to gladly pay $10.00 each for tickets to ETicket nights. What we got for that expenditure was amazing back in the day. :) 3 hours in the MK after park closing and the last hour was virtually empty, and this was in late June early July! Popular rides were walk ons and if you got on just before closing, you could ride over and over.
So for anyone who thinks this is about being unwilling to pay extra for something, please know that that couldn't be farther from the truth.

I was just remembering how I used to gladly pay $10.00 each for tickets to ETicket nights. What we got for that expenditure was amazing back in the day. :) 3 hours in the MK after park closing and the last hour was virtually empty, and this was in late June early July! Popular rides were walk ons and if you got on just before closing, you could ride over and over.
So for anyone who thinks this is about being unwilling to pay extra for something, please know that that couldn't be farther from the truth.

We did E-Night once. It was awesome. We rode Splash Mountain 3 or 4 times in a row without getting off the ride. The operator would have allowed us to go again, but we wanted to move on to another ride.

If this is true, what I would like to know is why UK guests receive preferential treatment through a longer grace period than guests from the US. What gives?

it has to do with the contractual obligations disney has to their UK partners that sell the UK packages.

you can buy a UK package not just from disney.uk (where i buy mine), but also from virgin holidays, thomas cook, etc.

These agencies have a contract each year with disney - in that contract it stipulates what is in the package - what the fees are etc.

The contracts for the current year run through december 31, 2018 and cover travel to WDW through december 31, 2019.

therefore, disney is precluded by contract from adding any additional fees under the current contract.
Disney can only add new fees to a new contract.
The new contract won't begin until 2019 and that contract would only be applicable to holidays that take place in 2020.

bottom line, because of their contracts with virgin holidays, thomas cooke, etc, disney cannot charge parking fees on the UK packages until 2020.

Consideration for their surroundings, most notably the other people in line/at the resort/in restaurants, will be appreciated. There's a lot to be said about conversing in small groups. Visitors who want to be serenaded can choose to see Disney official music shows and venues.

Trust me, it annoys me too. 100 at a park, or 10 in my family room. But, I have to remember they are teenagers and I was one once too. Its what we did, what they do. They laugh, have fun, break out into song / dance / laughter at any given moment. They make up cheers, do each others makeup, get excited when seeing cute puppies or their favorite Disney character at a park etc..etc.. Without these music programs at their schools and years of fundraising by the students, many of them would never get to Disney. Its an exciting happy time for them. At my daughters school, the high school brings them there once every 4 years, basically every student will have one opportunity to go during their high school years. 2 years ago, our city's HS students won 19 of 22 awards in their competition. They work hard practicing for that moment.

Disney invites these groups from all over the world to compete / perform / have fun in their parks. If guests dont like it, they should write a letter about this too.

it has to do with the contractual obligations disney has to their UK partners that sell the UK packages.

you can buy a UK package not just from disney.uk (where i buy mine), but also from virgin holidays, thomas cook, etc.

These agencies have a contract each year with disney - in that contract it stipulates what is in the package - what the fees are etc.

The contracts for the current year run through december 31, 2018 and cover travel to WDW through december 31, 2019.

therefore, disney is precluded by contract from adding any additional fees under the current contract.
Disney can only add new fees to a new contract.
The new contract won't begin until 2019 and that contract would only be applicable to holidays that take place in 2020.

bottom line, because of their contracts with virgin holidays, thomas cooke, etc, disney cannot charge parking fees on the UK packages until 2020.

This makes sense. :thumbsup2 It's always been different, I suppose, for places with different systems/factors to consider.

I imagine if Disney could bring the parking fees in sooner, they would!!!

At least for a while, I can see UK agencies offering free parking, themselves, to balance how integral car rental has long been in many travel packages .

Now, that's great value in exchange for your $$$! :yay:

Disney finally responded to my email asking for verification that I wouldn't have to pay for parking for my upcoming trips. I felt like they were going to respond after March 21 and I was right. It was a polite email where they assured me those booked trips I won't have to pay to park, but any new trips I would. They thanked me for being an annual passholder and mentioned all the perks that come with that - except for parking at the resort. I'm glad I have this in writing just in case there are issues with the fee when I'm there in November.

Trust me, it annoys me too. 100 at a park, or 10 in my family room. But, I have to remember they are teenagers and I was one once too. Its what we did, what they do. They laugh, have fun, break out into song / dance / laughter at any given moment. They make up cheers, do each others makeup, get excited when seeing cute puppies or their favorite Disney character at a park etc..etc.. Without these music programs at their schools and years of fundraising by the students, many of them would never get to Disney. Its an exciting happy time for them. At my daughters school, the high school brings them there once every 4 years, basically every student will have one opportunity to go during their high school years. 2 years ago, our city's HS students won 19 of 22 awards in their competition. They work hard practicing for that moment.

Disney invites these groups from all over the world to compete / perform / have fun in their parks. If guests dont like it, they should write a letter about this too.

This is totally unrelated to parking at Disney but I'm going to respond to this with a big NOPE. A group of cheerleaders from our school just went to Disney in February for competitions and they also explored the parks. They were specifically coached on how to behave and respect other people and their surroundings. Therefore, no cheering/chanting/sing alongs on the bus, in the restaurants, in ride lines, or in general. Yes, they are teenagers, but they are also capable of having a great time in a way that is not obnoxious or disruptive toward others.

... I'm glad I have this in writing just in case there are issues with the fee when I'm there in November.

Very sensible! ::yes::::yes:: Who knows how smoothly this will be implemented, with some people being charged at the same time others aren't (reminiscent of CBR construction fallout).

Are you getting married at the Pavillion? You definitely don't want to be worried about parking when you're getting married! Have a really special trip. pixiedust:

Very sensible! ::yes::::yes:: Who knows how smoothly this will be implemented, with some people being charged at the same time others aren't (reminiscent of CBR construction fallout).

Are you getting married at the Pavillion? You definitely don't want to be worried about parking when you're getting married! Have a really special trip. pixiedust:
Yes :) It's funny they didn't mention my wedding in the email, I feel like that should be noted somewhere. This new policy did get a few of my guests to book earlier than they originally planned to avoid the fee. I am really excited thanks!!

Sorry for off topic but felt the need to respond. My DD is a chorus director at a school and they perform at Disney during certain times of the year. The kids are told what they can and cannot do and are broken up into smaller groups with a chaperone! They are teenagers who are told that if they act up in lines they will not be going back.

I hope that at least with all the uproar about the parking fees that they will do it on a test basis. As I posted earlier, they could give fast passes to ease the pain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter