Disney+ News

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh I think there’s a ton they could do with the Imagineering series. Just go through each individual park and explain why theming is done the way it is in certain parts. Show some secrets, some not easily identified stuff. Basically bringing the “Imagineering Field Guide” books to life.

As good as those six episodes were, it definitely left me wanting more, as much of it was pretty broad themes and topics, not a whole lot of nitty gritty detail.

Oh yeah, I mean they devoted, what 6 minutes to the cruise line? You could do at least one full episode just on the ships

I think more topic based episodes could be cool, even if overlap a bit on what already covered. Like one on evolution of animatronics, one on plant life and the role that okay, one on expanding existing parks and challenges that brings, one just in attraction maintenance, etc

There is a whole lot more Imagineering could be done on Cruise Line, not just the ships themselves but Castaway Cey and what about a little tease on the new port of call in Lighthouse Point (Joe Rohde is the head of this project so I am really excited to see some concepts). What about expanding to do some Bio's on some of the Imagineering Legends like Marc Davis (my first name is Mark and when you go thru the que of the Haunted Mansion there is a Head Stone to Grand Pa Marc which my grand kids get a kick out of my future gravesite).

I just can't imagine Disney will let some of their big movies go to a competitor in 6 years. Granted, in 6 years, I doubt anyone will be super interested in streaming "old" movies (especially if Netflix only has "some" of the Disney catalog) but I feel like Disney will renegotiate a new contract or something.
In 6 years Disney will probably own Netflix.

In 6 years Disney will probably own Netflix.
Apple will probably own either Disney or Netflix in five years. Apple has to fix their content problem in someway. Apple has enough cash on hand to buy Netflix outright and almost enough to buy Disney outright too.

I really could see Apple buying Disney then Apple selling the local TV stations to Fox Corporation and the theme park/resorts to the Oriental Land Company.

I’d be willing to bet big that would never happen under Cook’s leadership.
Cook continues to hold on to that cash for some future purchase. A media company will obviously be bought with some of the cash. The only question is how big Cook wants to go. You can spend all the money you want on show runners and stars for new projects, but that doesn’t buy you a library of content that people want with a subscription.

3 months in and still no way to force logout devices on your account. I still have someone watching my Disney+ that must have bought my password when the accounts were hacked at the beginning of service and completely clogs up my watchlist and continue watching section. Changed my password as soon as I discovered this, but after 3 months not even a ”handshake“ is required from Disney+ to try and correct this. If I hadn’t signed up for the 3 year plan, I would cancel and start again.

Cook continues to hold on to that cash for some future purchase. A media company will obviously be bought with some of the cash. The only question is how big Cook wants to go. You can spend all the money you want on show runners and stars for new projects, but that doesn’t buy you a library of content that people want with a subscription.

what in apple‘s history suggests to you that they are a company that likes to do big splashy purchases? Jobs was paranoid about cash flow, and Cook seems to be happy leaving large ex-patriated sums of money all over the globe, and using big chunks of ongoing cash flow for share buybacks.

Apple buy technologies not products.

3 months in and still no way to force logout devices on your account. I still have someone watching my Disney+ that must have bought my password when the accounts were hacked at the beginning of service and completely clogs up my watchlist and continue watching section. Changed my password as soon as I discovered this, but after 3 months not even a ”handshake“ is required from Disney+ to try and correct this. If I hadn’t signed up for the 3 year plan, I would cancel and start again.

this is nuts. I’d be furious if I was hitting my concurrent stream limit because my account was being fraudulently accessed and Disney could do nothing to resolve it.

what in apple‘s history suggests to you that they are a company that likes to do big splashy purchases? Jobs was paranoid about cash flow, and Cook seems to be happy leaving large ex-patriated sums of money all over the globe, and using big chunks of ongoing cash flow for share buybacks.

Apple buy technologies not products.
Apple has already spent $6 billion on content for Apple TV and Cook has made it clear that Apple’s future is as a digital service provider focused on selling subscriptions to generate revenue. While that means more than just selling subscriptions for video streaming, video streaming is the largest market for subscription services. A library of content is the key to selling subscriptions on the video streaming part.

Cook could decide to go smaller with a Sony or even smaller with MGM. My bet is he decides to go big with a Disney or a Netflix before Bezos decides it is time to purchase one of them.

Apple has already spent $6 billion on content for Apple TV and Cook has made it clear that Apple’s future is as a digital service provider focused on selling subscriptions to generate revenue. While that means more than just selling subscriptions for video streaming, video streaming is the largest market for subscription services. A library of content is the key to selling subscriptions on the video streaming part.

Cook could decide to go smaller with a Sony or even smaller with MGM. My bet is he decides to go big with a Disney or a Netflix before Bezos decides it is time to purchase one of them.

I had iapple tv for two months. Not even worth the low price of 4.99 a month imo. Only great show they had on there was see. A couple good shows but nothing to keep me around. I know it will get better but they wasn’t ready at launch. Someday I will get Apple again probably not until see season 2 comes out.

Buy netfix, maybe. Apple buying Disney is not likely. Financially Netflix has monster debt and could not fight off a take over from the likes of Apple. But Disney, they have already bought back a ton of stock since the buyout of Fox. It would be a long and costly fight that very well would fail. Plus the value of Disney keeps increasing due to the tremendous response to Disney + (already over 20mm subscribers and could be as many as 30mm-the numbers will be disclosed with the results of the end of December quarter earnings report sometime in February). A very good quarterly report will likely cause the stock to increase significantly making the cost to acquire even more difficult.

Buy netfix, maybe. Apple buying Disney is not likely. Financially Netflix has monster debt and could not fight off a take over from the likes of Apple. But Disney, they have already bought back a ton of stock since the buyout of Fox. It would be a long and costly fight that very well would fail. Plus the value of Disney keeps increasing due to the tremendous response to Disney + (already over 20mm subscribers and could be as many as 30mm-the numbers will be disclosed with the results of the end of December quarter earnings report sometime in February). A very good quarterly report will likely cause the stock to increase significantly making the cost to acquire even more difficult.
Most of the largest Institutional shareholders of Disney are the largest institutional shareholders of Apple. The Jobs Trust and the Murdoch Family Trust have no emotional attachment to Disney. Disney management doesn’t control enough shares to put up a fight. If Apple approached with a deal that makes financial sense to the institutional investors, Lauren Powell Jobs and Robert Murdoch there would be no fight regardless of what Disney management thinks about the deal.

You are correct, but they do not own enough to swing a deal by themselves. Lets agree to disagree, since I still think a takeover of Disney by apple would be very difficult.

Anyone have issues with disney+ on a new fire stick? It works on an older firestick but not on the newer 2 I bought

The Japanese government would never approve the sale of a company like Sony to a foreign company. Sony’s product line is also far too big for it to make a logical fit for Apple and Sony doesn't make anything that they use. Their last major purchase was Intel's modem line, which they got for a substantial discount. Intel lost billions on the deal. Apple isn't going to buy a company like Sony, Netflix, Apple or whomever when the market is at its highest, they'd wait for a fire sale.

Apple has a history of saying stuff about new products/services. Apple's most profitable product right now is the iPhone. I consider Apple TV+ as just being another thing used to help sell more iPhones.

While there were rumors of an Apple-Disney merger, it’s proven to be largely fiction. Personally, I wouldn’t consider it a good fit for either.

the FT article that was the original source for that 6B number doesn’t say exactly that. They spent 1B in 2018, 2B in ‘19, and are predicted to spend another 3B through 2020. That number is also contested by other industry insiders, so.. Either way, 6B over three years is table stakes. Netflix has been burning through >10B per year for the last few years, on top of their huge 3rd party library.

Again though, what in Apple‘s history makes you think they do splashy purchases? They really only have one which was Beats, and that seemed to be as much of an aquihire for Iovine as it was the brand. Their other big (and small) purchases are all technologies, I.E.: NeXT (natch), PA Semi, Quattro, AuthenTec, Anobit, Shazam, VocalIQ and Intel’s wireless division.

Apple could have bought both Netflix and Disney a few years back when they were both much cheaper, and didn’t. They didn’t buy Tesla, Owens Corning???, Fitbit, Netflix again, Toshiba, Japan Display, Hynix, TomTom, Nintendo, Sony, Netflix yet again, or a number of other companies that Business Insider, Forbes, Gene Munster, et al have been confidently telling us they’ll make a play for.

if I’m betting on unexpected acquisitions for the next few years I’m thinking Apple are going to pick up a health care company or two, and not just in the research field. Seriously, they‘re not buying Disney.

Anyone have issues with disney+ on a new fire stick? It works on an older firestick but not on the newer 2 I bought

I have been having nonstop issues with Disney+ on the one tv I have the fire stick on, but it’s a fire stick that’s maybe 3 years old. Got so fed up with it that I pulled a Roku from one of the bedroom TVs and used it instead. Have not had any problems at all on my Roku TV or the three Roku devices. The fire stick has been nothing but problems though - dropping signal, glitching, freezing, taking forever to load. Probably won’t reconnect the fire stick ever again. Can get the Amazon Prime app on the Roku anyway.

I was having issues on mine tonight, but I unplugged the power and plugged it back in and that seemed to help. It was still struggling a little, which might have been a wifi issue due to the location of the TV (it was in my bedroom, not near the router). Otherwise, it has worked well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter