Disney+ News

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't know about any repeat directors (though I imagine there is one), but Famuyiwa is confirmed to have written Chapter 15 (per WGA), so we think that one will also be directed by him.

If it wasn’t confirmed that any other name was coming in to direct an episode, it’s a good bet it’s Favreau or Filoni directing the finale, and either are completely fine by me. Heck. I’d take any of the directors from S2, or even Deborah Chow for the finale, that’s how comfortable I am with their abilities, even if Peyton Reeds episode was by far my least favorite

Don't know about any repeat directors (though I imagine there is one), but Famuyiwa is confirmed to have written Chapter 15 (per WGA), so we think that one will also be directed by him.

has to be one repeat. They reported there is 7 directors this season and 8 episodes.

My attempt at the timeline to show where everyone is (tried to put locations too) ... let me know anything you would want added
Knowing that Anakin and The Child are the same age has helped me keep things straight, both born 41BBY. Especially across the shows.

So how do you think the rest of the season goes? Feels like no way they can build up to bid stand off with Moff Gideon and get to Tython and wrap up that angle. And Tython is in the Deep Core so I can't see Gideon going there.

Does much of Gideon stuff get pushed to Season 3?
What I could see happen for the end of season and show going forward (or would love to see) is a big confrontation with Gideon wth Bo Katan and the Nite Owls joining. They defeat Gideon and Bo gets the darksaber back, but he gets away. Closing teases show him reporting back to his commander about the attack and defeat with a reveal of Thrawn being in charge. Possibly also end with Grogu on the stone on Tython and a quick shot of Ezra hearing the "call" from him. Setting them up to be part of the focus next season. Think it's too early to get rid of Gideon entirely but he needs a big defeat and a new villain set up. This might make Mandalorian too much of a Rebels sequel but I feel like all these characters tie together really well right now.

What I could see happen for the end of season and show going forward (or would love to see) is a big confrontation with Gideon wth Bo Katan and the Nite Owls joining. They defeat Gideon and Bo gets the darksaber back, but he gets away. Closing teases show him reporting back to his commander about the attack and defeat with a reveal of Thrawn being in charge. Possibly also end with Grogu on the stone on Tython and a quick shot of Ezra hearing the "call" from him. Setting them up to be part of the focus next season. Think it's too early to get rid of Gideon entirely but he needs a big defeat and a new villain set up. This might make Mandalorian too much of a Rebels sequel but I feel like all these characters tie together really well right now.
Now that would be way too much tie in to the cartoons for this show. Having these characters as mentions and pop ins here and there are one thing. But to make them the focus going forward would take away from the characters created in this show.

Possible, though I think this more set up for the Ahsoka let be action spin off, which will function like a next season of Rebels and we really won't see her much more on Mando and we won't see Them on Mando (maybe a cross over at some point but largely kept separate).

I sort of hope Gideon doesn't have a boss and he is the boss, we just haven't seen his full reach/impact yet. Maybe we find more about his financial backers (a crime syndicate or something)

Cool this is a Mando thread now? I'm in. Because I love talking about this, especially after Rebo and I's hour long podcast. Lol Click spoiler for a wall of text/stream of consciousness.

My point of reference, I've never watched the cartoons, but I've read about general character development and have seen a few crucial scenes here and there but do not have the emotional investment that a lot of people have with Asohka. My personal history with Star Wars is big time OT nerd (I'm 40 yo) I read all of the EU books in the 90s. Disappointed with the Prequels like a lot of people and thought the Sequels were god awful. R1 and Solo were much better.

My trajectory with Star Wars was super down. I would still watch any new movie, but man no more excitement.

Then Mando came out. Hoo boy. Best SW since the OT imo. This weeks episode? Best SW with only Empire above it maybe? I have to think about it.

This episode has completely revitalized my interest and love in Star Wars and I can't wait for the future. Here are some of my thoughts on what we'll probably see.
  • Unless the Tython main quest is complete in one episode, I don't see a conflict this season with Din and Gideon. I see a build up for season 3.
  • I don't see Luke or Mace being intro'd in Mando. But I don't feel strongly in that.
  • The intro of Thrawn changes everything.
The future of Star Wars can potentially get incredibly interesting unless John and Dave are short sighted and I don't think they are. I am completely connecting the dots between Favreau and his working with the MCU and Disney's desire to make Star Wars have multi-billion dollar movie profits in 3-5 years. In order to do that after the failure of the Sequels/Spin Off attempts, they need to lay the ground work.

The sequels had almost zero worldbuilding (comics and books backfilled some of that, but that's not mainstream knowledge). Who is the First Order? Why was the Republic so weak and who were they? Where did the Empire go? How did it fall? Why did they ignore the First Order? How big was the First Order? Where did Snoke come from? Does it matter he's dead. If you take a step back and without reference material you could almost say that the three movie took place over the course of a year? Maybe 2? Hell, one movie was just a slow moving chase scene over like 3 days.

My point is that you can almost ignore it.. maybe? Sure we love Han, Luke, Leia but the galaxy doesn't care about them. Luke was a hermit, failed and hidden. Han went back to being a sad broke smuggler running for his life in obscurity as a washed up general. Leia? She left government and is running a rag tag "Resistance" (Resisting whom?). Kinda extreme. Everyone basically ignored her in her time of need.

Third movie tried to change all of that, but that movie had some horrible ideas that made no sense. Palpatine? lol A thousand ship show up in like a hot minute when none would come when they really needed them before the fight?

Anyway. You can wrap up that whole story in a bubble and just kind of put it aside in the whole lore of the galaxy. Some kind of regional hiccup/fight. Obviously the First Order was not much compared to the whole Galaxy if everyone just ignored them. Canto Blight taught us the rest of the galaxy just laughed at both sides selling them weapons and ships.

No need to retcon/get rid of the Sequels from canon.

Now you hear about Thrawn. That sent tingles down my spine. Here's why.

Mandalorian is all about telling small stories. Local stories that just touch on something bigger but then come back down to earth. It's not meant to be an epic story. Ultimately it's a side quest in the grand tale of the galaxy. Do you know what this kind of story is perfect for? World Building. Getting a sense of the shape and size of the galaxy. Introduce characters and plotlines that can later grow into something bigger.

Filoni saved the prequels by giving those characters depth. He connected the prequels and OT with Rebels. He's now bridging the gap between the OT and the sequels and then the future of Star Wars.

Mandalorian and future Disney+ shows are going to set up the First Order as a thing to root it more in the Galaxy more. But he's going to set up a way to sequester the sequels so you can safely call them fun stories and then move on to the future.

You can't have a new epic series of movies in the Star Wars universe knowing that the sequels are happening in the future. There isn't enough room to breath. With Thrawn being mentioned, it's my hope that they are using the next few years to set up the return of Thrawn and be the Thanos of the new Disney Star Wars saga that is coming to a theater near you in 2027 or whenever.

Mandalorian is not the show for greatness, but it's a show for taking a peek at greatness and living legends while we watch someone live the daily life in the galaxy.

Asohka will hopefully get her own show and further set up the galaxy for a return to the big screen because Asohka is all about epic stories. Favreau and Filoni are using D+ as a vehicle to do that. Instead of Iron Man and Captain America movies to set up Avengers they are using TV.

But that's just my guess.

Thanks for reading my Ted Talk.

p.s. Star Wars has an awful timeline just from a narrative point of view and a lot of content is shoe horned in, so you can totally do this.

Possible, though I think this more set up for the Ahsoka let be action spin off, which will function like a next season of Rebels and we really won't see her much more on Mando and we won't see Them on Mando (maybe a cross over at some point but largely kept separate).

I sort of hope Gideon doesn't have a boss and he is the boss, we just haven't seen his full reach/impact yet. Maybe we find more about his financial backers (a crime syndicate or something)
I agree that the Ashoka spin off will most likely be where a majority of the cartoon characters wind up. They’re not even trying to flesh these characters out at all on Mando for more casual fans, which leads me to believe they are just being included as Easter eggs for more hardcore fans. Think about it, for people that have no knowledge of the 2 cartoon series, watching this show they would still have no idea who Bo Katan or Ashoka are after those 2 episodes. No Katan is just another Mando and Ashoka is just a Jedi with 2 lightsabers and some head tails. If they were going to include these characters more going forward, I think they would have given a little backstory for them for the more casual fans. Especially since there are millions more people watching Mando than watched the cartoon series, so there are a good portion of viewers that don’t know these characters.

Even the darksaber, they’ve given no backstory of that in Mando either. To most, it’s probably just seen as a weird lightsaber and people don’t know the history of it. But with that I think we’ll learn more as the lead up to the battle with Gideon.

I agree that the Ashoka spin off will most likely be where a majority of the cartoon characters wind up. They’re not even trying to flesh these characters out at all on Mando for more casual fans, which leads me to believe they are just being included as Easter eggs for more hardcore fans. Think about it, for people that have no knowledge of the 2 cartoon series, watching this show they would still have no idea who Bo Katan or Ashoka are after those 2 episodes. No Katan is just another Mando and Ashoka is just a Jedi with 2 lightsabers and some head tails. If they were going to include these characters more going forward, I think they would have given a little backstory for them for the more casual fans. Especially since there are millions more people watching Mando than watched the cartoon series, so there are a good portion of viewers that don’t know these characters.

Even the darksaber, they’ve given no backstory of that in Mando either. To most, it’s probably just seen as a weird lightsaber and people don’t know the history of it. But with that I think we’ll learn more as the lead up to the battle with Gideon.

Read my previous post, but I think Mandalorian will get people to go back and watch the cartoons. I wouldn't be surprised if Lucasfilm didn't put together some "specials" where they condense a lot of the Clone Wars shows.

I also think that much like the MCU, Filoni and Favreau respect the source material while making the show digestible to the public at large. You don't need to know the backstory of all the characters because they are cool in their own right on the TV screen. But for fans, its amazing because you know them quite well. It's basically what they should have done in the sequels. JJ was too scared to go deep into SW lore and confuse people so he made a terrible set up movies that looked like SW but didn't respect the fanbase and the stories that came before it.

Read my previous post, but I think Mandalorian will get people to go back and watch the cartoons. I wouldn't be surprised if Lucasfilm didn't put together some "specials" where they condense a lot of the Clone Wars shows.

I also think that much like the MCU, Filoni and Favreau respect the source material while making the show digestible to the public at large. You don't need to know the backstory of all the characters because they are cool in their own right on the TV screen. But for fans, its amazing because you know them quite well. It's basically what they should have done in the sequels. JJ was too scared to go deep into SW lore and confuse people so he made a terrible set up movies that looked like SW but didn't respect the fanbase and the stories that came before it.
I love Clone Wars and Rebels. I’d love some more Rebels content. Clone Wars was recently relevant with the final season last year on Disney+. That had great closure, nearly perfect actually.

I definitely think there will be interest in those series tho and obviously Filoni created them. I would’ve been upset if Filoni didn’t direct the episode Ahsoka debuted in.

I don't think it's fair to say the SW fandom or Marvel fandom are gatekeepers and spew hate.

It's just the internet being the internet. There's plenty of hate on most subjects. Just the vocal minority being jerks.

Fandoms can be brutal to outsiders; meaning the individuals in fandoms can either be jerks or nice people, just like everyone else, but there are some fandoms so intense that they err on the side of brutality. lol I could be more specific and say there are some shippers, in particular, within the different fandoms that are nuts. IMO, Mando has done a really good job walking the line between too much "lore" and and not enough... right now, it seems like it is in a sweet spot so that everyone can enjoy it, and it also has it's own fandom apart from the general SW one.

I don't think it's fair to say the SW fandom or Marvel fandom are gatekeepers and spew hate.

It's just the internet being the internet. There's plenty of hate on most subjects. Just the vocal minority being jerks.
Ya its not unique to anything, nor is it new. Fans of any person, place, or thing can and will be ridiculous. Sports, media franchises, cities, brands, methods of cooking food, etc. It’s just human nature.

Doesn’t make it any less toxic. No one said that these things only existed in the world of fictional characters, but Sports, Media franchises, cities, etc have had biases and rivalries between fans long before the internet existed. DC vs Marvel, conversations about the Prequel trilogy, is Die Hard a Christmas movie all really started with the birth of the internet, and have since gotten worse with social media

Started watching Star Wars rebels this week. Someone recommended it here. Just got done the first season. I thought it was ok nothing special until the last few minutes of season one. Looks like it’s going to get pretty good coming up.

Watched black beauty last night.
have some tissues with you for sad times and happy times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter