Disney News, Discussion & an Element of Fun - 2023 Edition

If it wasn't for the heat, I am seriously thinking about planning a last minute summer trip... especially if the crowds are as low as they appear to be/ forecasted to be... I usually go in Dec/Jan/Feb/March time frame as the heat is a smidge more bearable... I have an annual pass and I really need to use it more. (Live in NC).

To change topics. Here is an article I found that may explain why the parks have been quiet this weekend and into summer

https://planneratheart.com/vacation-spots-besides-disney/

"But the disillusionment doesn’t stop there. 68.3% said rampant price increases and nickel and diming have made it feel like Disney World has lost its magic. So parents across the country are making other vacation plans. From wanting to show their kids the world now that borders have re-opened, to showing them the wonder of mother nature, families are saying bye bye to Mickey and Minnie and hello to these vacation destinations."

From people I have talked to WDW is very quiet compared to SeaWorld and Universal.
Sea world has some great prices, especially if you hit their sales. I just booked Sea World's Howl-o-Scream for my Halloween WDW week birthday bash.... on sale this weekend $37 each(adult) for the event. It will be a nice compliment to our MNSSHP night.
Now Universal, not so cheap and they do get their $$ out of you for sure lol ... yes I know they have a ticket deal, but to be fair we have no desire to spend 5 days there in a row, and we just had a fab time on our recent April visit... 1 day, park to park (though I booked a ghost room as those damn ride express passes cost so much)

<edited>

To change topics. Here is an article I found that may explain why the parks have been quiet this weekend and into summer

"But the disillusionment doesn’t stop there. 68.3% said rampant price increases and nickel and diming have made it feel like Disney World has lost its magic. So parents across the country are making other vacation plans. From wanting to show their kids the world now that borders have re-opened, to showing them the wonder of mother nature, families are saying bye bye to Mickey and Minnie and hello to these vacation destinations."

From people I have talked to WDW is very quiet compared to SeaWorld and Universal.

I can definitely see this, I think taking away Magic Express was a pretty big blow to the Disney bubble and then adding genie+ on top of it...ouch. We tried Universal for the first time last fall and I was shocked at how much smoother their rides felt compared to Disney's.

Last edited by a moderator:
<edited>

I can definitely see this, I think taking away Magic Express was a pretty big blow to the Disney bubble and then adding genie+ on top of it...ouch. We tried Universal for the first time last fall and I was shocked at how much smoother their rides felt compared to Disney's.
I do wonder what is going to happen when Epic Universe opens. Outside of people on this board, many are fed up with Disney.

Honestly if I weren’t a passholder/local I’d be looking into doing more cruises with DCL if you have a character loving little defiantly would recommend

These articles that love to point out how tickets were $3 in the 70s and how that was so easily affordable on average wages are focused on shock value and not reality when they also don’t point out that $3 was gate admission only, so did not include ride costs, and there was only a not fully developed MK to lure families down to central FL.

It’s clickbait shock value.

Yes WDW is expensive today. No question. Yet each year millions of people figure out more reasonable ways to visit WDW than NJ family of 4 paying $1700 for 2 day tickets. This NJ family of 4 is paying $2400 for 7 day hoppers during one of the most expensive seasons, right before Christmas. Not cheap but getting 350% the experience for 50% more money. Considerably changes the value proposition especially when taking into account the range of unique experiences WDW offers. We could repeat nothing over 8 days and still not cover it all. The quality and massive array of experiences is what makes the high costs of WDW worthy.

Honestly if I weren’t a passholder/local I’d be looking into doing more cruises with DCL if you have a character loving little defiantly would recommend
Since you're a local maybe you can explain why many are choosing Universal and SeaWorld over WDW. I seen someone post how locals are talking more about SeaWorlds new coaster than Tron.

These articles that love to point out how tickets were $3 in the 70s and how that was so easily affordable on average wages are focused on shock value and not reality when they also don’t point out that $3 was gate admission only, so did not include ride costs, and there was only a not fully developed MK to lure families down to central FL.

It’s clickbait shock value.

Yes WDW us expensive today. No question. Yet each year millions of people figure out more reasonable ways to visit WDW than NJ family of 4 paying $1700 for 2 day tickets. This NJ family of 4 is paying $2400 for 7 day hoppers during one of the most expensive seasons, right before Christmas. Not cheap but getting 350% the experience for 50% more money. Considerably changes the value proposition especially when taking into account the range of unique experiences WDW offers. We could repeat nothing over 8 days and still not cover it all. The quality and massive array of experiences is what makes the high costs of WDW worthy.
Disagree. This weekend is a good indicator. It's a long weekend and WDW parks are not crowded while Universal and SeaWorld are.

Since you're a local maybe you can explain why many are choosing Universal and SeaWorld over WDW. I seen someone post how locals are talking more about SeaWorlds new coaster than Tron.
It all depends on the crowds you’re around. Can your friends only afford the cheaper season passes that Universal and SeaWorld offer? Then that's what your friends will talk about.

Universal was a one and done for me. Won’t go back there until Epic Universe is open.

We live about an hour away and everyone with young kids that we know choose to go to seaworld because they offered a preschool pass up to like 5 years old that’s free this year. The majority of them don’t like the planning that goes into a day at Disney. I don’t know very many going to universal but that’s because of the age of our kids

Since you're a local maybe you can explain why many are choosing Universal and SeaWorld over WDW.
At least part of it has to be that until a month ago, Disney wasn't selling anything but a highly restricted weekday pass. When we bought our Universal APs, we got a survey that included lots of questions about whether or not "availability of passes at Disney" was a reason we bought.

At least part of it has to be that until a month ago, Disney wasn't selling anything but a highly restricted weekday pass. When we bought our Universal APs, we got a survey that included lots of questions about whether or not "availability of passes at Disney" was a reason we bought.
I get a lot of surveys from Universal too and many of them ask to compare their parks vs. Disney in terms of spontaneity and the level of stress for planning a trip. Also lots of questions about Epic Universe.

Price increases + “revenge travel” being over + some of one political side labeling Disney as “woke” + some of the other political slide avoiding Florida.

It’s not surprising to me that WDW will have a summer slump.

Last edited:
Price increases + “revenge travel” being over + one some of one political side labeling Disney as “woke” + some of the other political slide avoiding Florida.

It’s not surprising to me that WDW will have a summer slump.
The thing is they aren't avoiding Florida at all. There is a report that MCO is projecting over 1 million travelers this weekend and yet WDW is quiet and yet the other parks are busy. It's strange to me.

We live about an hour away and everyone with young kids that we know choose to go to seaworld because they offered a preschool pass up to like 5 years old that’s free this year. The majority of them don’t like the planning that goes into a day at Disney. I don’t know very many going to universal but that’s because of the age of our kids

I am 2.5 hours away and very few people I know go to seaworld. Most are Disney then another chunk Universal.

SeaWorld has always been a heavy locals park, especially with younger kids because it is much cheaper to have a non blocked AP for there. It is beautiful at Christmas, included Halloween fun for kids and has great food festivals. Universal at present is a reasonable AP and many locals especially adults use it for their hang out place, meet up with friends, have a few drinks, few rides, Mardi Gras, concerts and enjoy all the AP extras. It reminds me of living in NYC area. Expensive cost of housing means smaller spaces so you do all your socializing at a neutral location, Universal is one.

It all depends on the crowds you’re around. Can your friends only afford the cheaper season passes that Universal and SeaWorld offer? Then that's what your friends will talk about.

Universal was a one and done for me. Won’t go back there until Epic Universe is open.
For some it makes more sense to get SeaWorld and Universal with one or the other with Water Park .. and you can be in a park any day you want as opposed to spending the same for a Disney pass that has block outs. Unless they are hard core Disney there is more value in doing the other two IF it is their thing. We enjoy Universal BUT they are apples and oranges, both fruit but totally different. Universal isn't for everyone and even for me we do an AP once every couple years.

The thing is they aren't avoiding Florida at all. There is a report that MCO is projecting over 1 million travelers this weekend and yet WDW is quiet and yet the other parks are busy. It's strange to me.
I don't believe this at all. There are reports from all over FL tourist destinations that their income is down around 30% due to tourism drops. I have home in high tourist area and was just there a few weeks ago. SHOCKED by the lack of people, the ease of parking and dining ......... normally you wait at least 30 minutes for a table and eating out every day all week we were seated immediately everywhere. Most restaurants never got busy. As a non-tourist there I enjoyed it but it doesn't pay the businesses bills. Note that airport travelers doesn't always translate into folks who stay, many are just transferring to an international flight or getting on cruise ships.
<edited>
Disney has been nickel and diming for a decade! Maybe during COVID folks forgot but nothing has changed there. If they aren't going to Disney it is likely for other reasons, and maybe one of those is being restricted due to COVID maybe some are just choosing to travel overseas and elsewhere. The environment in Florida is problematic, even for someone like me who owns there.

I am 2.5 hours away and very few people I know go to seaworld. Most are Disney then another chunk Universal.
I'm ~1 hr away and literally don't know a single person who goes to Sea World. Anyone with young children like us have either Disney or Busch Gardens. But... Sea World is a pain to get to from our area and traffic is 🥴

In our circle, there are only 2-3 families without Disney passes and they do Busch Gardens for financial reasons. We have a dozen or so families we do day trips with to WDW because we all have passes (though a handful of them have weekday passes).

Universal isn't our market yet (our kids are all young). I have some DINKS friends w passes there, though!

I'm ~1 hr away and literally don't know a single person who goes to Sea World. Anyone with young children like us have either Disney or Busch Gardens. But... Sea World is a pain to get to from our area and traffic is 🥴

In our circle, there are only 2-3 families without Disney passes and they do Busch Gardens for financial reasons. We have a dozen or so families we do day trips with to WDW because we all have passes (though a handful of them have weekday passes).

Universal isn't our market yet (our kids are all young). I have some DINKS friends w passes there, though!
Seaworld is actually closer for us and a lot easier to get to since we’re on the eastern side. We do Disney way more than Seaworld but I only have one friend with Disney passes while the rest all do seaworld

I'm local too. I don't think "many" are choosing Universal and SeaWorld over WDW. At least no more than ever have been.

I'm local too. I don't think "many" are choosing Universal and SeaWorld over WDW. At least no more than ever have been.
Then explain why wait times and crowds are packed at SeaWorld and Universal and WDW is quiet this weekend?

This was last evening at MK. When was the last time anyone seen it this empty on a long weekend?

Attachments

• 1685227068823.jpeg
    1685227068823.jpeg
    100.3 KB · Views: 76

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter