Disney Fantasy- January 14, 2017- 7 nt Eastern Caribbean

Ptarmigan6

Mouseketeer
Hi! Our family of 3 is booked for a 7-night Eastern Caribbean cruise on the Fantasy leaving port on January 14, 2017. We're looking to see if any other families are interested in participating in Fish Extenders for this vacation.

Hope to hear from you and to get the FE list going!

The Kelly family

Hi there! Our family of three plus two cabins with grandparents and a nephew will be on that ship! Although we have been on one past Disney Cruise (Wonder), we are looking forward to the FE participation on the Fantasy.

The King-Letzkus Family

Hello again fellow DCL cruisers!

Unless someone in the very near future wants to step up, I am happy to organize the FE program for the January 14 cruise on the Fantasy. This is my family's first time cruising DCL, so I'm also new to Fish Extenders. I've read enough about them through Trip Reports to know the basics, and I know that it takes organization and a lot of patience!

To get the ball rolling, if you are sailing this cruise and interested in participating, please either PM me or reply to this thread. I'll maintain a master list of rooms, family names, and allergies/restrictions/favorites etc if that is okay. When we get closer to the sailing, we can look at total number of cabins/individuals participating and decide how we want to break up the list. Ideally, it would be nice to have FE groups of 10-15 rooms, so we're not having to schlep 60 mini keychains onboard!

For now, if you are participating, please include number of cabins who will have FE, a family name as contact for each cabin (for my recordkeeping), ages/gender of those participating (optional), any dietary restrictions (optional), and any favorite Disney characters/movies (optional). Keep in mind that aside from a general name and number of people participating, any additional information is TOTALLY optional but might allow participants to better personalize gifts. When we get within the cut off range (maybe a month or two out), I'll send out a confirmation request for all participants-- which is when you reply to me with your room number to ensure we have an accurate listing for the sailing.

I'm happy to send out a monthly check-in private conversation to all those participating just to update you all on number of rooms participating if you'd like.

Does this sound okay to you? If so, all aboard!

Kathleen Kelly

We just booked this cruise when we were on the Fantasy last week. This one will be our4th, unless i can convince my husband to slip a short one in this fall LOL. We will be cruising with our 26 year old son and one of his friends. We have 2 staterooms on the 12 floor. I am not sure if w'll be joining the FE on this cruise. I always love to comeback to our room and see what amazing creative gifts are in the FE, but over half the cabins we gave to last cruise never gave us anything. We did the Eastern Caribbean NYE cruise on the Fantasy 2 years ago...I love the Fantasy!!!!!!!

My family of 4 will be cruising for the first time with Disney on this sailing! Excited to learn more about FE, and are looking forward to participating in the FE too!
The Cannon Family

Hello again,

To answer nrexxma44's concerns about the FE program, my goal is to create smaller FE trading groups of 10-15 cabins max. Although that might mean fewer surprises per stateroom, I think that it'll be much less of a hassle to make 10 gifts and find the corresponding staterooms. I will get confirmation of participation from each cabin before releasing their info to trading groups about a month or so out, so I'd like to think that if you commit in December, you're not going to flake for the sailing. Also, I think it's good to make a disclaimer that each cabin participating only needs to provide 1 gift per cabin (vs per person), but how many items you want to include is totally up to you.

As a reminder, if your family would like to participate, please PM me or post to this thread with a contact name for each cabin participating, names/ages in the cabin(optional), and any extra info you'd like to share, like allergies, favorite Disney characters, etc (optional). As soon as I have this info, I'll add it to FE spreadsheet. As soon as I reach 10-15 staterooms participating, I'll close the first group and send out info to those cabins. Then, I'll continue filling groups in a similar way. Make sense?

For those new to Fish Extenders, here's a brief summary:

The Fish Extender (FE) program is a fun, totally unofficial way of spreading a little extra Disney magic and pixie dust on fellow DCL families. Those participating create little mailboxes that hang from your stateroom door number starfish/seahorse where DCL tucks official messages (Get it? It extends your fish....) You can make your own, buy one from Etsy, eBay, or any number of vendors, or just google Fish Extenders and see what comes up. Many families make/buy one that includes a small pocket for each family member. If you sign up for a FE program for a cruise, you'll receive a list of names/cabin numbers before your cruise-- this is your chance to deliver a small surprise to each cabin at some point during the cruise. Some families like to share small gifts/postcards/magnets from their hometown, I've seen pictures of homemade ornaments, notebooks, water bottles, even slippers! The sky is the limit! Many participating also like to include small toys/stickers etc for the younger FE cruisers. There's really no rules when it comes to what to deliver to your fellow cruises, but do consider the golden rule-- What would you be surprised and excited to receive? Examples of really practical but great gifts are highlighters for marking up your daily Navigator, lanyards for your keycard, or even handiwipes for staying healthy :) For this cruise, because the FE groups will be smaller, I think there will be a greater opportunity for slightly more personal FE gifts-- hopefully that will reduce fears of teenagers receiving coloring books, adults receiving temporary tattoos, and your toddler from getting a tiny bottle of Jack Daniels...

Because our cruise has plenty of at sea time, we could even plan a FE Meetup if there is enough interest, but we can deal with that later.

Hope this helps anyone who is hesitant to join in for this cruise. Looking forward to further corresponding, and hopefully meeting you all!

~Kathleen

Hi. My name is Vicki and we are on this cruise also. We just got off the Wonder on Sunday and love sailing this time of year, as it it a nice break from winter here in Wisconsin. :) This will be our 16th Disney cruise and we too would love to join FE. We will have 2 connecting staterooms and there will be 8 of us. 2 adults: DH Marty and DW Vicki and 6 children DD Adriane 18, DS Zach 14, DD Stephanie 12, DS Isaac 9, DS Vincent 6 and DS Elias 4. No allergies for us and I will check with the kids on their favorite characters. You will love cruising with Disney! As you can tell we are addicted. :sail:Thanks for starting this thread and the FE group.

Welcome aboard, everyone! Looks like we have at least 7 cabins participating in FE! Looking forward to chatting with you all! Aside from Vicki, if you're interested in participating, please either PM me or reply to this thread with your family info so we all can start brainstorming ideas for FE gifts.

Hi all! This will be our 4th cruise with Disney. We're a family of 5 with three teenagers! We've sailed to Alaska on the Wonder in 2012. We sailed the Western Caribbean itinerary on the Fantasy in 2014. We just disembarked from the Magic last week. Mid-January is definitely our preferred Disney Time.

We've done the FE for the past three cruises and may take a break from it this time. It's loads of fun, so I might Pixie Dust a few FEs that I randomly find in the hall. I think instead of an FE, I'll make a banner to hang from our stateroom fishies. It will certainly make finding our stateroom easier in those long, long corridors.

The Fantasy is a fantastic ship. We are all in for a treat.

Last edited:
We'd love to be included! This is our 2nd cruise and we are looking forward to a longer stint then when we took the Dream (and escaping the utter chaos of the Presidential Inauguration that week). We have two kiddos - they will be 9 and 5 when we go and are already counting down the days - it's going to be a LONG year!

My family of 3 will also be on this cruise. Our DD will 9 the day before we depart :) I sent a link to the wife to see if she would like to fish extender, she seemed to enjoy on our first Disney Cruise last year.

Family of 3. Loved our first cruise so much we booked a longer one. Hope it is just as special. Little girl will be 6. Beth and Kyle

Hello again fellow DCL cruisers!

Unless someone in the very near future wants to step up, I am happy to organize the FE program for the January 14 cruise on the Fantasy. This is my family's first time cruising DCL, so I'm also new to Fish Extenders. I've read enough about them through Trip Reports to know the basics, and I know that it takes organization and a lot of patience!

To get the ball rolling, if you are sailing this cruise and interested in participating, please either PM me or reply to this thread. I'll maintain a master list of rooms, family names, and allergies/restrictions/favorites etc if that is okay. When we get closer to the sailing, we can look at total number of cabins/individuals participating and decide how we want to break up the list. Ideally, it would be nice to have FE groups of 10-15 rooms, so we're not having to schlep 60 mini keychains onboard!

For now, if you are participating, please include number of cabins who will have FE, a family name as contact for each cabin (for my recordkeeping), ages/gender of those participating (optional), any dietary restrictions (optional), and any favorite Disney characters/movies (optional). Keep in mind that aside from a general name and number of people participating, any additional information is TOTALLY optional but might allow participants to better personalize gifts. When we get within the cut off range (maybe a month or two out), I'll send out a confirmation request for all participants-- which is when you reply to me with your room number to ensure we have an accurate listing for the sailing.

I'm happy to send out a monthly check-in private conversation to all those participating just to update you all on number of rooms participating if you'd like.

Does this sound okay to you? If so, all aboard!

Kathleen Kelly

Hi! Our family of 3 is booked for a 7-night Eastern Caribbean cruise on the Fantasy leaving port on January 14, 2017. We're looking to see if any other families are interested in participating in Fish Extenders for this vacation.

Hope to hear from you and to get the FE list going!

The Kelly family
Hi
We are a family of 4 and were on the dream last year. Our groups were of 15 and really nice sized. We had a blast and are looking forward for the fantasy and a star wars cruise.
Amanda

Hello all, we are a family of 4 and just reserved a spot on this sailing. It'll be cruise # 3 for us. We've got 2 boys age 7 and 10 (turning double digits the week we set sail). We've done fish extenders before and would love to do it again. Also wondering if anyone is interested in pre cruise pen pals. Would love to have our boys meet kids their age in advance of the cruise. Look forward to sailing with everyone!

This will be our family's 5th Disney Cruise. 3rd on Fantsy. We have 2 teens, DD15 & DS16, at time of sailing.

We plan to do FE again. We delivered to 60 cabins last cruise. There were 3 groups of 20 but we had the option of being on more then 1 group. We also could choose how to give, whether it be 1 cabin gift or to individuals in the cabins. It was nice having the flexibility and resulted in giving and receiving some very special and sometimes personalized gifts. We were amazed at how the FE participants embraced the program.

We also had a mixology class...3 groups since so many signed up! A meet and greet, informal happy hour meets and other holiday groups (we sailed near Christmas) like an ornament exchange. Seems we are only limited by our own creativity.

Looking forward to sailing with everyone.

Hello again, everyone! Hopefully you've all received the exciting news that our sailing will have a special Star Wars theme. Did anyone else give an extra squeal when they read the email?

So far, we've got a tentative list of 15 cabins. Our family is starting to brainstorm ideas-- if you are feeling crafty or starting to amass little surprises for cabins, plan on no more than 15 cabins worth of individuals per group. I am happy to share the full list with families who want to be superstars for all participants, but feel free to budget for 1 gift per stateroom in your group.

Unrelated to FE, have you started doing anything special to get ready the cruise? I scored some adorable pirate costumes for my son and our friends' son. Do any of you plan on bringing costumes for either Pirate Night or Star Wars Days?

Hi! We took our first Disney cruise in January (5 nights on The Magic out of Miami) and were hooked! We cannot wait for this one, and this time, Grandma is coming!

We will be bringing our 5-year old son (the cruise is for his sixth birthday trip, though!) and Grandma--so three of us in our room and Grandma across the hall. Were thinking to only have one FE and have Grandma at the bottom. Thoughts? SO excited about this--we didn't know about Fish Extenders this time, so can't wait for January!

We have costumes for Pirate night (after the first cruise, my husband said we needed to up our game!) and are working on Star Wars costumes! Grandma, for some reason, is refusing our suggestion of Princess Leia in the bikini. Ha ha.

Thanks for organizing groups! Very excited!

Hello! Is this group closed yet? How many cabins do you have? I am looking to join a group, but don't want one that is too large.

Hello! Is this group closed yet? How many cabins do you have? I am looking to join a group, but don't want one that is too large.
Hi amwhitaker,
No, this FE group is very much still open! I am organizing it into smaller groups, with a max of 15 cabins in each. If any individuals want the entire list, I'm happy to provide it, but otherwise I will be sending out lists of 10-15 cabins for each household participating. I'll just keep opening, filling, and closing smaller groups so that everyone has a reasonable number of staterooms.

If you're looking for specifics on this FE exchange, check earlier in the thread regarding details to send me/post here. Hope you can join us! We'd love to have your family participate!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter