Disney ending Magical Express bus service

I’m actually more nervous if this is Disney’s plan going forward- cuts to services. DCL comes at a premium price point. One I am mostly happy to pay for a premium product- however if you make drastic cuts to services then I can no longer justify the cost.

I am less worried about the cruise transfers than what this says about Disney’s plans going forward.

I'm weird for an American in that I basically don't drive. I put off learning for a long time which I think in large part was due to some childhood trauma involving a car accident. I have panic attacks that are triggered by driving on a highway. I spent my college and young professional years in cities with ample transportation, and even though I now live in a more spread out city, I deliberately bought a home in a location that is a short (non-highway) drive to work, kids' school, and shopping.

Recognize this is not normal for most folks, but MDE was hands down the best perk of staying on-site for me. Ubers are not super practical for us because we have three car-seat-aged children. Without MDE, we would definitely book a limo/SUV service, which does add considerably to the cost of the trip. We also would be much more likely to try something non-Disney like Universal, since the "bubble" MDE created was largely what kept us onsite.

Sadly, I do suspect this will affect DCL transfers when they restart since it sounds like they terminating the contract with Mears entirely.

I really do not get what Disney is thinking. It seems very short sighted. I expect most people will just a rent a car, which makes it so much easier to stay off-site, buy groceries, visit other nearby theme parks and otherwise not spend money at WDW.

I really do not get what Disney is thinking. It seems very short sighted. I expect most people will just a rent a car, which makes it so much easier to stay off-site, buy groceries, visit other nearby theme parks and otherwise not spend money at WDW.

We never used the service for the parks or cruises. But, it is ridiculously shortsighted. The more you keep people in the Disney bubble, the more money you make. We rent a car, which means we are more willing to visit other parks, eat offsite regularly, spend days away at the beach. Those things are much less likely if you have the bus service. Not to mention that you can't coast on your reputation forever. If you start cutting many little things, people eventually notice and don't think the price is worth it anymore. I can't image what they are thinking. If anything, it should have been a suspension until COVID ended.

We never used the service for the parks or cruises. But, it is ridiculously shortsighted. The more you keep people in the Disney bubble, the more money you make. We rent a car, which means we are more willing to visit other parks, eat offsite regularly, spend days away at the beach. Those things are much less likely if you have the bus service. Not to mention that you can't coast on your reputation forever. If you start cutting many little things, people eventually notice and don't think the price is worth it anymore. I can't image what they are thinking. If anything, it should have been a suspension until COVID ended.
Agree a suspension would make more sense. Which makes this all the more confusing, because it does not take effect until 2022.

We never used the service for the parks or cruises. But, it is ridiculously shortsighted. The more you keep people in the Disney bubble, the more money you make. We rent a car, which means we are more willing to visit other parks, eat offsite regularly, spend days away at the beach. Those things are much less likely if you have the bus service. Not to mention that ryou can't coast on your reputation foreve. If you start cutting many little things, people eventually notice and don't think the price is worth it anymore. I can't image what they are thinking. If anything, it should have been a suspension until COVID ended.
Right, brentm77, I agree with the quote, "you can't coast on your reputation forever" They seem to think they can, and they've gotten away with it so far.
However, with all the "little" things being taken away, people just might start to realize that disney is losing the magic. It's sad. My husband and I decided we have had alot of great years at WDW, and due to all this, it's time to stay offsite and spend time at other places in Florida, and go to other sites around the US. Thanks Disney for helping us to make that move!

I'm sure disney will be adjusting thier resort prices to reflect two benefits being removed 😆🤣😆🤣

Well, actually, from what I understand it will affect those with DVC dues. I don't know if this is true, but I heard somewhere that the cost of the transportation was part of DVC dues.

I suspect Disney is still hemorrhaging money.** Charging for things that used to be free increases their revenue stream.

**Disney parks at very reduced capacity. Disneyland closed. Cruises closed. Movie theaters closed. The revenue from Disney Plus doesn't make up for it.

If you are referring to ME, it was never "free", just included in the room rate (not sure if Disney charges a separate resort fee at WDW). Cutting a service that one already pays for does improve the bottom line for Disney.

LAX

If you are referring to ME, it was never "free", just included in the room rate (not sure if Disney charges a separate resort fee at WDW). Cutting a service that one already pays for does improve the bottom line for Disney.

LAX
I dont agree with your logic. The price is not more or less for your room if use the ME. Case in point go thru the booking site for your Disney package. Do both ME and non ME. The price is the same. I do agree with there is no such thing as a free lunch but perception means alot. If you think Disney is going to lower room rates when they eliminate ME, think again.

I dont agree with your logic. The price is not more or less for your room if use the ME. Case in point go thru the booking site for your Disney package. Do both ME and non ME. The price is the same. I do agree with there is no such thing as a free lunch but perception means alot. If you think Disney is going to lower room rates when they eliminate ME, think again.

I think you misinterpreted my post and actually agree with what I said. People already "pay" for ME when staying onsite at Disney whether they use the service or not. Since Disney will NOT discount room rates after removal of this amenity, it will pocket the cost of a service that it would have had to pay.

LAX

I think you misinterpreted my post and actually agree with what I said. People already "pay" for ME when staying onsite at Disney whether they use the service or not. Since Disney will NOT discount room rates after removal of this amenity, it will pocket the cost of a service that it would have had to pay.

LAX
Sorry. I stand corrected. I reread the post. We do agree that Disney will pocket the savings a n.v d continue to erode guest services. Im wondering when they remove coffee makers is coming.

Sorry. I stand corrected. I reread the post. We do agree that Disney will pocket the savings a n.v d continue to erode guest services. Im wondering when they remove coffee makers is coming.
Maybe they'll just remove the coffee. 😜

LAX
Don’t forget that many resorts are not open and some have lower guest attendance than pre-covid. So Disney isn’t making the same revenue from hotel rooms that it used to to offset the ME cost.

Not a disney apologist, what they are doing sucks, but I don’t think the math works out the way it used to for Disney.

Don’t forget that many resorts are not open and some have lower guest attendance than pre-covid. So Disney isn’t making the same revenue from hotel rooms that it used to to offset the ME cost.

Not a disney apologist, what they are doing sucks, but I don’t think the math works out the way it used to for Disney.

COVID-related downturn is hopefully temporary, just like recessions. I understand that the math needs to work for companies to survive, but this move doesn't come into effect until 2022 and supposedly permanent (unless Disney reverses course). Do you think Disney will still offer deeply discounted rooms once the recovery is in full force and our daily lives are back to relatively "normal"?

LAX

Do you think Disney will still offer deeply discounted rooms once the recovery is in full force and our daily lives are back to relatively "normal"?
I haven't noticed that the current discounts are any deeper than their pre-Covid discounts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!