Disney ending Magical Express bus service

I don't think it will impact DCL because DCL already charges for the transfers, unlike ME which was "free." Of course, if there is more behind the scenes such as Mears and Disney parting ways, it could impact DCL.

I don't recall when ME began, but it's been within the past 20 years because on our honeymoon ~20 years ago there was no ME and we paid for a Mears shuttle to the resort. I don't remember if it was the next trip or the 2nd trip after that which we first encountered ME service to the resort.

I love the Magical Express and am very disappointed to find out Disney is ending it.

I'll predict an increase in price for DCL transportation being announced when cruising resumes.

I don't think it will impact DCL because DCL already charges for the transfers, unlike ME which was "free." Of course, if there is more behind the scenes such as Mears and Disney parting ways, it could impact DCL.

I don't recall when ME began, but it's been within the past 20 years because on our honeymoon ~20 years ago there was no ME and we paid for a Mears shuttle to the resort. I don't remember if it was the next trip or the 2nd trip after that which we first encountered ME service to the resort.
I think it was 2005 it started.

So are the geniuses on the board seeing true Disney buses in the future, or a giant boom in the UBER capacity at MCO?

I could see changing, but taking away Magical Express is a big deal to us, even if it is only a $100 difference for the trip. Transportation and the old taking our bags was a giant perk with little ones.

So are the geniuses on the board seeing true Disney buses in the future, or a giant boom in the UBER capacity at MCO?

I could see changing, but taking away Magical Express is a big deal to us, even if it is only a $100 difference for the trip. Transportation and the old taking our bags was a giant perk with little ones.

I suspect Disney is still hemorrhaging money.** Charging for things that used to be free increases their revenue stream.

**Disney parks at very reduced capacity. Disneyland closed. Cruises closed. Movie theaters closed. The revenue from Disney Plus doesn't make up for it.

Not yet. Suposedly ME is only ending due to the new train line that will go to Disney Springs around the same time. There is talk of the train going out to the cruise terminal - eventually - so MAYBE Disney would stop with bus service at that point if it is an effective system. Since we already pay each way though, I dont see why they'd stop offering it. If they DO, then likely Mears will keep doing it anyway. I don't see what Disney loses by slapping advertising on the buses and passing the cost on to us though.

Honestly we have stopped taking magical express on the way back to the airport to allow us extra time. I have started thinking about a direct route to the resort as well to avoid waiting at the airport and avoid the extra stops on the way to the resort. I did love the extra magic hours but hated waiting to see which park had them which days, so 30 minutes each day seems like an okay compromise there. As long as they keep the monorail, boats and resort to park buses free, I can find a silver lining.

I love the magical express and losing it will be a big loss for the whole Disney experience. Didnt Disney also do away with luggage transfers too? Not sure if this is Disney trying to cut cost or what but this is disappointing. I doubt Disney will do away with the DCL bus transfer because the distance to the port is much greater and you have to pay for the bus.

We loved the ME for our Disney trips. Once you were checked in at your home airport, for us, that was it. You were on vacation. Ride to the hotel, bags delivered. Straight on to fun and relaxation. Not sure how this will look going forward. So many utilized this service. Time will tell. But I agree with others on this thread that DCL will probably continue to provide transfers. Not sure what their cost is, but you pay $$ for that transfer if you are a party of 3 or more. We tend to come in early and rent a car. We shall see...

I love the magical express and losing it will be a big loss for the whole Disney experience. Didnt Disney also do away with luggage transfers too? Not sure if this is Disney trying to cut cost or what but this is disappointing. I doubt Disney will do away with the DCL bus transfer because the distance to the port is much greater and you have to pay for the bus.

If I am not mistaken, most luggage came with Magical Express so I wouldn’t be surprised to see that ending as well.

This makes me a little bit sad. With Magical Express, it felt like the vacation was starting right there at the airport.

Wouldn’t be surprised to see it exist but differently... with a cost... A little bit like the Minnie Vans.

I love the Magical Express and am very disappointed to find out Disney is ending it.

I'll predict an increase in price for DCL transportation being announced when cruising resumes.

The first of many DCL increases im sure.... im actually scared to look!! 😆😆

Didnt Disney also do away with luggage transfers too? Not sure if this is Disney trying to cut cost
The MCO/WDW luggage service was contracted with a 3rd party, BAGS, and I believe they either went out of business of laid off most workers. The service ended back in the summer when the resorts opened. I suspect the current cancellation of ME is due to a contract with Mears that likely didn't renew with the terms Disney wanted. I agree it was convenient and will be missed. It was nice to not have to think about planning transportation as part of the vacation planning.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter