Disney ending magic bands?

LCoulter

Whoah Mouse
I knew Disney was stopping the complimentary magic bands but according to another podcaster, Disney is ending magic bands in favor of going back to a card. Is this true?

I knew Disney was stopping the complimentary magic bands but according to another podcaster, Disney is ending magic bands in favor of going back to a card. Is this true?
No. They’re just stopping free magicbands. So if someone doesn’t elect to buy magicbands, they would be issued a card at the front desk. Otherwise you can continue to purchase and use bands.

Yes, why pass out bands when nearly everyone has a phone.

Your phone can do everything a band can -- and won't end up in the trash or sitting on a shelf after the trip.

I don't think they will completely go away for a while, but the move to smartphone everything is coming.

Yes, why pass out bands when nearly everyone has a phone.

Your phone can do everything a band can -- and won't end up in the trash or sitting on a shelf after the trip.

I don't think they will completely go away for a while, but the move to smartphone everything is coming.
1. Waterproof (most phones are not)
2. Won't go dead while you're in the park
3. Convenient. It's always on your wrist. You don't have to pull it out purse/pocket while carrying kids/luggage.

Now, if they made an app that worked on a apple or android watch, they may answer some of these concerns.

People buy limited edition bands, different colors, etc. Cards would be less convenient and less profitable, so I cant see it happening.

I'm just guessing, but I don't see them getting rid of Magic Bands any time soon. They will be a profit center for a while. I mean $25 for one? Do that all day long. Park entry, fast passes, hotel room keys, credit cards are all tied to that device. With how much people reacted to the upgraded bands in 2019, I think they can easily get people to buy $10 bands when they book a package.

I'm a big fan of MagicBands. I don't have an issue purchasing one (or reusing one.) Even people who get free ones 'upgrade' to another design. It seems like a good money maker for Disney.

So, you can use old magicbands from previous trips? I haven't read through all the comments.

You can, as long as it hasn't died. Shelf life is about two to three years. :)
It’s worth noting that the only part of a magic band that dies is the longer range RFID chip which is used for on ride photos. The shorter range chip which is used for all of the touch points does not have a battery and will last much longer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter