Disney Dining Plan Price Increases

I just can't believe the price is $70 per adult.

That means I'd have to eat a $40 dinner (not including alcohol) and a $20 lunch (not including alcohol), and $10 for breakfast(not including alcohol :) )?

That's a big commitment. But if that's how one would normally eat, and you could bump your $40 to $60 every night, I could see it.

Since that's not how I roll, I don't see it ever saving me money, unless it worked out where I was booking a package, and got free dining without adding any additional costs (except for a higher tip than I'd normally pay).

$70/day in food. Definitely going to have to buffet it up. Only way to get there.

I'm not quite sure I understand your question.

I had saved the amount we paid for the dining plan in my records. Then this morning, I sat down and wrote down everything we ordered and meals we had and added up everything. We returned less than a month ago, so I used the online menu pricing. Then I averaged the snack to $5.00 for reasoning above, and added that to the OOP cost. It added $350 to the OOP as there were 5 of us there for 7 nights (actually 6, but I obviously didn't count the baby).

I didn't factor in the refillable mugs (at $17 apiece, I believe, but I could have, as the last time we went we bought enough souvenir mugs in the parks for our family & the cashier at SSR actually gave us one for our baby free so she'd have one too which was amazingly sweet).

What I am trying to ask you is where you saw the savings. Did you find that you guys ordered the most expensive thing on the menu as a general rule? Did you all get expensive counter service meals? Did you have kids that you paid kid pricing, but did a lot of character buffets? I am trying to find where you were able to save $600. I am not disputing the fact that you did, but I am wondering what the family dynamic is and what that family must do to save that kind of money on the DDP as it currently stands.

To your point, they've made the character buffets in essence DDP only.

I mean, $40 per person for the Cape May breakfast buffet, with at least a $4 per person tip on that? That should be the new official definition of insanity.

From members of my misguided family, I hear it all the time. If they are planning on any character buffets, they get the DDP. Because for some unwarranted reason, they feel as if its better to pay the bill 6 months in advance, and then pretend that the meal only cost them 1 credit. They need time to mentally convert that cash into a credit. They need time to bury that cost in the package and in their minds.

I wonder what the percentage of OOP and DDP are at places like CRT and Askerhaus? It would also be interesting to know satisfaction level after the meal using both payment methods.
I paid OOP in 2014 for Akershus. It was easily our best meal of the trip. I was pregnant and going through morning sickness and I wasn't sure anything would sit well, but that blueberry gastrique was amazing.
I was a smidgen less satisfied this past trip, but only because they don't make the blueberry gastrique anymore. The food was still good IMHO.

What I am trying to ask you is where you saw the savings. Did you find that you guys ordered the most expensive thing on the menu as a general rule? Did you all get expensive counter service meals? Did you have kids that you paid kid pricing, but did a lot of character buffets? I am trying to find where you were able to save $600. I am not disputing the fact that you did, but I am wondering what the family dynamic is and what that family must do to save that kind of money on the DDP as it currently stands.
We did all character TS dinners. We didn't decide it TO save money, but rather because we knew the kids would love it.

QS, we ate at Wolfgang Puck Express (2x), Backlot Express, Flametree Barbeque, food stands in Epcot, Columbia Harbour House and Cookes of Dublin. We did not seek put the most expensive QS, and ordered what we wanted there.

I sat down with my girls on the computer and had them pick our TS. Then we went with the flow for lunches. Whatever everyone was in the mood for. We ate whatever we wanted whenever we wanted without stressing about maximizing the value.

@MamaBelle4 "I am going to assume $5.00 a snack since our snack credits were mostly redeemed in Goofy's Candy Co. (the MTO rice crispies, and about 10 trail mix bags) and Starbucks."

If you didn't have those snack credits to use up, would you have bought all of that overpriced trail mix and rice crispies during your trip oop? Just curious?

@MamaBelle4 "I am going to assume $5.00 a snack since our snack credits were mostly redeemed in Goofy's Candy Co. (the MTO rice crispies, and about 10 trail mix bags) and Starbucks."

If you didn't have those snack credits to use up, would you have bought all of that overpriced trail mix and rice crispies during your trip oop? Just curious?

I would've bought all the Starbucks for sure (Did I mention we have 4 kids aged 8, 5, 4 &1). And while I may not have bought all the snacks THERE we are still eating the trail mix and enjoyed it for the ride home. So it has saved me from buying snacks since we've been home.

@lockedoutlogic and @Madonna3:

I believe that it is more complicated then looking back at how the DDP used to be (I loved it back then!!) and comparing it to today. I feel that while the DDP factors into the overall increase in Disney Dining, the use of bulk purchasing would have been implemented. I also fully believe that Disney has continued to use DME as a means to trap families onsite in order to avoid a car rental, leaving them with few choices if they decide not to dine onsite. I firmly believe that the increased cost of dining in general cannot be placed solely on the feet of DDP because we continue to see how many people refuse to use them, and still dine onsite, and dine at AYCTE meals and character buffets. Personally, I think that their is a business plan in place that encompasses a variety of methods to increase revenue, and that the DDP is simply one of those methods.

I always remove alcohol when I look at the cost of dining, I am going to order my lass of wine with or without a plan.

I never consider the tip. I tip no matter what I order and we do not order more when we are using the plan, other than add in a few more appetizers or not splitting desserts. I let the difference go because I do not need to factor taxes on our meals and snacks.

I think that is why I get so frustrated when some folks get all worked up over tips and alcohol. DO you drink? If so than it is what it is. Do you tip? Then why does that matter? Unless you are changing your habits, these things should be a non issue. IF you are changing yoru dining habits to fit a plan, well that is the problem.

It's not 100% the reason...there rarely is...but it's a huge reason.

I also don't think that people would have continued to get rental cars like they did in the 80's and 90's anyway...for more reasons than just magical express.

First, airlines aren't cheap at all anymore...and neither are rental cars...I think the amount of money invested upfront turns people off to rental cars anyway. Since the airlines were allowed to start merging into monopolies and federal subsidies fell...there is an aversion to spending to have the flexibility of a rental car in that market.

Also...Disney paints off property as "seedy" and always has...so do a lot of Disney specializing travel agents. That has a psychological impact.

Last...cars aren't as useful on property since hard reservations and bands...my car misses beach club greatly :(

But no strollers anymore so at least there's that ;)

That means I'd have to eat a $40 dinner (not including alcohol) and a $20 lunch (not including alcohol), and $10 for breakfast(not including alcohol :) )?

That's a big commitment. But if that's how one would normally eat, and you could bump your $40 to $60 every night, I could see it.

Since that's not how I roll, I don't see it ever saving me money, unless it worked out where I was booking a package, and got free dining without adding any additional costs (except for a higher tip than I'd normally pay).

$70/day in food. Definitely going to have to buffet it up. Only way to get there.

That's why the math never works out for me.

I already have to fast weeks before and after a week trip just to handle the food and we eat no more than 2/3 what the credits would be.

$70... for what? Which plan. I'm not following what you're saying and I really, really want to.

The adult standard dining plan is $69 and change now...

So if you don't order right to left it's a hard number to get to

Seriously? I must have misread something.

So.... since the regular plan only includes 2 meals, and we can subtract $4 for a snack, that means you need to spend $65 per person/per day to make it break even??? OMG.

Well that's probably it right there.

If I went to the character places - which are way the most overcharged - then I would go ddp too.

As it stands...I'm more likely to skip those, go to two signatures (which the dining plan penalizes) and end up well ahead.

The contrast is on the second floor of the Polynesian: you get the tonga toast for 1/3-1/2 the price of Obama and it's simply better.

Or get it in captain cooks for $12 bucks and skip the schtick altogether.

There are many ways to eat better, be more than full, and avoid the credits.

Similar question, would you dine the same way if you weren't on the plan? For example, if you went to Akershus, would you do it out of pocket? I know when we get the free plan, we completely change our normal eating habits just to accommodate it.

So.... since the regular plan only includes 2 meals, and we can subtract $4 for a snack, that means you need to spend $65 per person/per day to make it break even??? OMG.

For adults, yes.

This is why you really need to understand how your family is likely to eat.

If you have children under 10, and you take them to character meals, the DDP generally works out

That's what I can't wrap my head around.

You have to get "creative" and use a snack credit for a quick grab breakfast, otherwise the DDP doesn't even give you all your meals for the day.

ETA: Or for some reason you want to throw your credits at a character breakfast, I guess you eat a Chocolate dipped Rice Crispie for lunch? All that money and they can't guarantee you three meals?

For adults, yes.

This is why you really need to understand how your family is likely to eat.

If you have children under 10, and you take them to character meals, the DDP generally works out

I am not a DDP'er. I am against it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter