Disney Dining Plan Poll

What should be done with the Disney Dining Plan?

• Keep it! It's great!!

• Keep it but make changes to it

• Get rid of it ASAP! It's ruining Disney Dining Experiences..

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DonkeyGreatness

Mouseketeer
So I've seen quite a few comments about it and it seems like you either love it or hate it. So do you think Disney should get rid of it, adjust it, or keep it as is?

I voted keep it. We do the deluxe dining plan and I wouldn't want to ever go to WDW with out it. However, I would like them to add an alcohol option to make it even more all-inclusive. Like the wine option, but including beer and other mixed drinks. I think I may email Disney and suggest that! :goodvibes

Disney has always had some type of meal plan. They do provide a service. but it seems now with the dining plan the emphasis is on cost savings.
The dining plan is only useful if what you are eating is worth the money. So now disney has put the emphasis on making cheap meals that gives them great profits instead of making great meals.

So now the problem becomes you pretty much are forced to do the dining plan because no way would you pay the out of pockets cost for the subpar food they serve.

Don't get rid of the dining plan, get rid of the crappy food.

I like that the DPs make the trip very close to all inclusive.

I like it but I wish they would lower the price and take out the desserts - so entrees and drinks only, no desserts for either CS or TS.

We did the DDP on our trip this past September and really liked it (we actually upgraded to the DxDP). We liked it so much that we are doing it again for our May trip. I don't think my DH can go back to the paying OOP thing again :goodvibes

We just used the DDP for the first time. I think they should keep it because it is very nice to have the food paid for upfront and not worry about it. However, I think it does need some changes.

I found TS and CS meals to be HUGE. We really could have been happy with 1 meal and 2 snacks per day. Since we did the basic dining we only had the option of dessert, however, we don't always eat dessert. I'd like to have the choice of either appetizer or dessert.

Also, DDP doesn't include alcohol but if I am having a margarita or glass of wine with my dinner I won't also order a soda or iced tea. I'm not sure what the "fix" for this would be because I don't foresee adult beverages being included in the DDP...

Also, DDP doesn't include alcohol but if I am having a margarita or glass of wine with my dinner I won't also order a soda or iced tea. I'm not sure what the "fix" for this would be because I don't foresee adult beverages being included in the DDP...

I doubt if they would ever do it, but maybe they could give you a $2-3 credit towards any beverage.

Disney has always had some type of meal plan. They do provide a service. but it seems now with the dining plan the emphasis is on cost savings.
The dining plan is only useful if what you are eating is worth the money. So now disney has put the emphasis on making cheap meals that gives them great profits instead of making great meals.

So now the problem becomes you pretty much are forced to do the dining plan because no way would you pay the out of pockets cost for the subpar food they serve.

I agree. I like the dining plan concept and we have used it many times, in both incarnations. But I do not like the current quality and diversity of the food offerings. I understand the ecomomics of the DDP. But what I would really like would be the basic dining plan menu for all on the plan, and then some higher quality/innovative dishes (like they used to have) availble for an extra fee. I am willing to pay for the higher end that I want. I don't like that it is not even available to me anymore.
Although we have done the DDP for years, I am thinking of upgrading to an AP and buying the Tables in Wonderland card next trip. I can eat what I want, where I want, and I can eat at the Swan/Dolphin, DTD restaurants that are not on the DDP.
With the current offerings and quality, they are most likely loosing a customer.
I voted, "Keep it but make changes" but if that is not possible I would vote "Get rid of it"

DP used to include gratuity. Add that back in. Ability to have appetizer or desert at TS. Get rid of those bad QS deserts and add in another snack.

I don't know if all the restaurants do it, but when we ordered a alcoholic beverage, the server offered us a bottle of water to take with us since we didn't order the beverage that comes with the DDP.

So I've seen quite a few comments about it and it seems like you either love it or hate it. So do you think Disney should get rid of it, adjust it, or keep it as is?

It just doesn't work great for my family. DS (10) is not a big eater and we would lose money for certain with him. Also, while it may save DW and I some money, not enough to deal with it. We don't eat desert at every meal, so we really aren't saving that amount as far as I'm concerned.

Maybe if DW and I did a long weekend of just us we'd do it,I don't see it for us.

Well said.:thumbsup2

Also, gratuity needs to be added back in and allow us to pick either appetizer or dessert.

The first time I used the dining plan was in 2006. Back then it included app, entree, dessert and soft drink as well as gratuity for all TS meals, one CS meal, and one snack. It was also about $10 cheaper than it is now. I swore after that I would never go back to WDW without it. They have slowly done away with the value by first eliminating the gratuity, then the app for the standard plan. At this point, without free dining, the dining plan is no longer worth it for us. This time we got free dining and paid to upgrade it to the DxDP because we are not a CS family as a group, we prefer to eat more TS meals, and several signature meals which are 2 credits. The QSDP is great when it's just me and DS on our shorter trips, especially since we always go during free dining, but the way the basic plan is, we never pay to upgrade to it because you get more food on QS (an extra snack credit) plus the refillable mug, and you don't have to pay any gratuity.

I vote to keep the dining plan, but unless it's free, or they change it/lower the price, we will not be using it.

I've found we eat less without the DP, but spend as much or more. I agree there's too much food on the DP.

A perfect ddp for me would be:

1 CS (no dessert)
1 TS (dessert or appetizer) Also, if you wanted just water (not bottled), you could order that and they would subtract $2.50/3 from an adult drink
2 snacks

Or...I would love also:

2 TS (same as above)
2 snacks

I don't really care what they do with the basic plan. It doesn't work for us, and if the choice were between that or no dining plan at all we'd pay OOP.

We love the deluxe plan as-is. It gives the trip an "all inclusive" feel and takes the guesswork out of budgeting for meals, and it gives us permission to order in ways we never would if we were thinking about costs. I don't want to see anything about the DxDDP change (though of course I'm willing to accept price increases up to a point).

I would like to see a better alcohol plan, though. Bottles of wine don't work for us because DH isn't a wine drinker and I sometimes prefer a cocktail, but we'd love to see a more flexible plan that would allow us to add on one alcoholic drink per adult at our dinners.

The main thing I liked was it took some of the stress out of my trip since my food was prepaid except for tips(Which I already put money aside for.). That was one less thing I had to worry about and any time you can reduce the stress of a vacation the better. Since my vacation was fully paid by the time I checked-in I was able to relax and enjoy my trip more.
We were lucky that our vacation was during the "free" dining period but I had already decided on the DDP before I knew that. Honestly though unless I book a trip during a "free" dining period I will go with the QSDP next time because it was a LOT of food and the CS meals were great and had a lot of variety. It also allows a little more flexibility in your day I would think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter