Disney Dining Plan -- Are you really saving that much?

Family of 4 here - and the DDP costs much more than we spend on food/snacks.

When we go during free dining, we break even - the cost of the tips and meals eaten at places that do not take DDP get us to where we would have been had we paid out of pocket on our usual budget. We eat better, but spend just as much money.

IMO, the DDP is not worth it when you calculate the additional cost of tips and other things not covered - especially if your family enjoys CS meals...

We're on the fence regarding DDP. We paid for DDP once before when appetizers and tips were included. No complaints, other than the rush from meal to meal and my need to encourage the family to order in a way to get the most bang for the buck.

For our upcoming June trip we haven't added the DDP yet. At home we almost always order (tap) water with our meals and rarely order dessert. If on the DDP, I'm thinking maybe coffee with each meal to go along with all the desserts would be a treat.

We'd also like to try ESPN (not on plan), breakfast at Whispering Canyon, the Giddyup and Go chicken meal at the Trail's to Go and lunch at the Grand Floridian Cafe. All something new and different for us but probably not the best way to use credits on the DDP.

I just recently got back from Disney and found some flaws with the Dining Plan. Don't get me wrong, I liked the plan and it was very convienient, but I found that you don't really save a ton of money. You order food that you would have never ordered in the first place, such as a dessert for lunch (which I and most other people would never order without the dining plan). This really leads you to believe that you saved hundreds of dollars, but when you really look at it, it isn't that big of a savings. Does anyone else feel this way?

Also, the childrens servings are incredibly small. They are fit for 5 and under, definitly not 10 and under.

Just some thoughts I have, although I did find it very convenient, but hey, saving money is saving money, no matter how much it is :)

We do the deluxe plan, so the math is a little different for us, but in general I think the DDP is a substantial savings if it matches the way you eat and a slight savings but substantial convenience if you tweak the way you eat to fit the plan. The same is true of the deluxe plan, just on a bigger scale. We wouldn't do the basic plan any more - we don't like CS every day and we're appetizer people, so the plan just doesn't make sense. The deluxe plan fits the way we eat much more closely, and is still a good deal when we skip/share desserts.

I didn't think the children's portions were too small at all. My DS is a big eater and he was fine with the quantities on the kids' meals at 7 & 8. At 9 he was doing a lot of sharing off our plates in addition to his kids' meal, but that was as much because he prefers adult foods as because the kids' meal was too small. My DD is 7 and still can't finish a kids' meal at Disney.

We'd also like to try ESPN (not on plan), breakfast at Whispering Canyon, the Giddyup and Go chicken meal at the Trail's to Go and lunch at the Grand Floridian Cafe. All something new and different for us but probably not the best way to use credits on the DDP.

ESPN Club is on the plan. We've eaten there twice with the DDP, and it was really good sports bar food. It might not be the highest value use of credits, but it is worth doing.

If I had to pay for the DDP, It wouldnt pay for us because we dont' eat that way. By doing the free dining, we really are saving LOTS of money. I figured it out both ways, we are saving over $200 just on the package and that doesn't even include the savings of the food we would have ordered including lunch and dinner. For the 9 nights on the package it's over 1500 savings for the 4 of us.

ESPN Club is on the plan. We've eaten there twice with the DDP, and it was really good sports bar food. It might not be the highest value use of credits, but it is worth doing.
Good to know. Thanks!
I must have assumed it wasn't on the plan after I read reservations were not accepted.

We'll be doing the Deluxe Dining Plan for the first time in June. We like TS meals and will be doing several character meals. With the extra dollars charged for summer surcharge for buffets, the DP becomes more attractive. Otherwise, that would be extra dollars spent OOP.

I sat down and figured up what we would likely eat while we are at Disney (we would probably do 1 CS and 1 TS meal every day anyway) and compared that to the DDP. For us, the DDP is saving us probably about $30 for the entire week.

I kind of fall into the camp of doing it for the convenience. It was not going to cost us any more to do the DDP than paying OOP, so I liked the idea of having the costs paid up ahead of time and being able to sit down and order whatever I want on the menu without worrying about the cost of the item.

For us, the cost was essentially a wash.

I did the same thing...had a cute little spreadsheet and everything (yes, I'm a dork:)). I planned what I would order if NOT on the plan (basically a cheaper meal), no desserts for me and DH, but desserts for the kids. It pretty much came out even. BUT with the DDP, I can order a filet (YUM-only do that on vaca), I can get a soda at meals and not worry about the $2+ it costs, and we get the desserts thrown in for a snack later! At any TS meal that wasn't a buffet, we'd take the desserts home for a midnight snack! PLUS, it's prepaid, I don't have to worry about blowing our meal money budget in the first night (we're known to do that) and I just don't have to worry about the costs. MUCH less stress for me which makes my family much happier all the way around! :cloud9:

Sure, when you are trying to decide whether or not you are going to pay for the dining plan, and you are interested in the savings aspect rather than just the convenience, it is useful to figure in your calculations what you'd eat if you did not have the dining plan and whether just going about your regular dining behavior would save you more than actually purchasing the dining plan. If you're into the plan for the convenience factor, or because you want to splurge and try restaurants you'd never go to if you had to pay for them, it isn't a factor - but if you are looking into using the plan as a money-saving device, that's a calculation that should be made.

This is our first time on DDP & 12th trip to WDW. We're not big eaters, and noticed last trip that it would probably work in our favor. We can easily share a lunch, save dessert for a snack later. We don't eat full breakfasts - yogurt, fruit & coffee is perfect. I think it really depends on your habits!

I analyzed it and it seems it is a wash for us. If you eat a CS meal and a 1 credit TS meal every day it probably makes sense.
We like to mix it up with a lot of TS meals for lunch (but not enough to get DxDP) and a lot of 2 credit TS dinners. I figure Disney is charging about $26 pp for the TS meal (subtracting out snack and CS lunch) and that is too much if you are using it for, say, lunch at Liberty Tree Tavern. 2 TS meals at Cali Grill, for example would equate to around $52 for entree and dessert, which is a little on the high side compared to actual cost.
I went thru every meal that we would use credit's for and included dessert for everyone for a TS meal and the snack's and it came out to a $10 difference, which in my book is a wash.
The main "problem" I had is that I was figuring in dessert w/ TS meals--if I was on DDP I know we would each order dessert; if not--we will probably split it since we try to watch what we eat. I just discovered I lost 5 lbs and that helped me make up my mind - why tempt myself if I am happy with less food. I expect to spend less than the DDP cost given we are not big eaters.
Plus, my DH does not want to "deal" (although I don't think it is a big deal) with watching/counting credits. I think, in his mind, it kind of cheapens the vacation, but I don't feel that way.
I do think it is nice not to worry about prices if you have the plan, and that is worth some $$ to me, and just go with the flow, especially, like I said above, if you eat a CS and 1 credit TS meal every day.

well... heres my 2 cents. im receiving the dining plan for free this year ... last year i paid for it. it all depends on you. for me, the dining plan was terrific. it was the peace of mind knowing that i had my food already paid for. the money i brought paid for alchohol and souvinirs .. and for me, i preferred it that way. :thumbsup2

We had the basic dining plan last trip and plan to do it again in November. We enjoyed having our meals pre-paid and being able to go into a restaurant, look at the menu, and order what we want. Generally, when our family of 5 goes out to eat (3 adults, 2 children), yes we look at the prices and buy what we think we should spend at that time based on what's in the bank. When we are on the dining plan, it adds to the vacation to order more expensive items than you normally would - I probably wound not order that $35 steak at LeCellier if I was not on the plan. And really, who doesn't like to have dessert - even if you don't eat it all. The kids thought it was great having cake/ice cream/other goodies for lunch and dinner every day because that's not something that would ever happen at home. And then to have an extra treat everyday as well.

And most important, my dh didn't have a heart attack the nights we ate at Coral Reef and LeCellier when the bills were laid on the table and they were over $250 (this was when appetizers/gratuities were included).

When we started planning our upcoming trip, dh's only request was that we do the dining plan - and yes, he knows we won't have appetizers every night and we have to pay our own tips but to him it's still worth it.

We did save over $500 last trip over what we paid for the plan.

I made my ADRs today for our August trip. We're on the deluxe.

We've done the basic DDP three times before, but this time, we upgraded to deluxe because my kids like breakfast buffets, we have some favorites, and we wanted to try some new places.

We are spending $2000 on the deluxe. I estimated based on menus posted online, that we'll have about $2400 in meals at the TS places I reserved--and that's not counting the mugs, any snacks or the meal credits (two each) we'll use at CS places.

I'm planning on using snacks for breakfast four mornings of our trip, and then a combination of CS lunches and snacks for three days of lunches. So I'm already $400 ahead, and that's not counting the value of those snacks and CS meals we'll use.

So really, if you are eating at TS meals, you do get your money's worth and even save money when you use the DDP. And if you eat at least two meal credits per day at TS places, you get your money's worth with the deluxe.

Of course, if you don't use your credits, you won't benefit.

Once they took away the appy and tip I thought it wasn't a good deal anymore. Then I went on a 3 night trip in March and we didn't use the DDP. I have to say I probably spent just as much money. I did have appy's instead of dessert, and tried to pick things not ordinarily on the plan. But at Sunshine Seasons I thought it would be great to try some of the a la carte items, it ended up being $12 bucks!

We are on the DDP for our trip coming up in a few weeks and I'm looking forward to trying some new places and I made sure our ADR's were at restaurants that had expensive entrees! :thumbsup2

We do the deluxe plan, so the math is a little different for us, but in general I think the DDP is a substantial savings if it matches the way you eat and a slight savings but substantial convenience if you tweak the way you eat to fit the plan. The same is true of the deluxe plan, just on a bigger scale. We wouldn't do the basic plan any more - we don't like CS every day and we're appetizer people, so the plan just doesn't make sense. The deluxe plan fits the way we eat much more closely, and is still a good deal when we skip/share desserts.

I didn't think the children's portions were too small at all. My DS is a big eater and he was fine with the quantities on the kids' meals at 7 & 8. At 9 he was doing a lot of sharing off our plates in addition to his kids' meal, but that was as much because he prefers adult foods as because the kids' meal was too small. My DD is 7 and still can't finish a kids' meal at Disney.

We're similar here - our trips are now me, DS (will be five when we go this year) and my parents (both in their 70's) --- poor DH can't go since he has to work :lmao: ......for us, the deluxe plan made the most sense when I looked at the DDP and DxDP when planning our trip last year. We all like to start our meals with an appetizer, whether it's a simple salad, cheese plate or something that looks interesting....so DxDP scored ahead just on that inclusion for us.

I wouldn't say we're necessarily dessert orderers - sometimes we do, sometimes we don't....even with the DxDP we didn't always order dessert - or we didn't order one for each of us, but split one or two amongst us.....and we still saved money at the end of the trip purchasing the DxDP - I don't think there was much we ordered that we wouldn't have ordered and perhaps the reason we saved money is that we tend toward higher price meals anyway - at home or while on vacation. I look at it that when I'm eating out, I'm going to eat what I like regardless of price since we don't typically eat out frequently....I like cooking, so make most of our meals at home.....when we travel, even when we have a full kitchen, I prefer to be waited on for a change - so we're much less likely to eat meals in...even at home, our meals almost always, I'd say like 90% of the time, include a starter - salad or soup or cheese plate or something I think sounds good and want to try. So for us the DxDP aligns with our eating habits well and isn't more than we'd spend if we paid out of pocket, even if we occasionally have something in the room, or if we have a full-kitchen and grab breakfast before heading out to the parks and aren't eating breakfast out, but having a TS luch and a 2TS dinner.

What I do think is perhaps the downfall of the DxDP is the quantity of food - three full meals a day on the plan are very difficult to eat, even when you're accustomed to eating a dinner each night that includes some sort of appetitzer - I doubt many actually eat three course meals for every meal, and that's the one thing that we thought was a bit over the top! Not complaining - it was sorta nice to have dessert after lunch, something we don't normally order after lunch.....but it's A LOT to try to eat, day in, day out when you're there for a week or longer!

Trying to use the snack credits on top of all the food - really difficult....if not impossible - we just wound up buying up a bunch of stuff to take home, so it's not like the credits went unused.....but they weren't used on-site while there, for the most part!

I wish there were a way to customize the plan a bit - maybe offer a way to set up your meals and what's included and then you have what you really want! Like instead of having it be an all-or-nothing proposition - DDP that lacks appetizers and has only 1TS, 1CS and 1S per day --- OR --- DxDP that has 3 complete meals and 2S per day....maybe have a way to say, yeah, I like having table service, so in a week, 7 appetizers, 7 entrees....and well, let's say 3 desserts for the week....that way you're a bit more customized? Just a thought!

What I do think is perhaps the downfall of the DxDP is the quantity of food - three full meals a day on the plan are very difficult to eat, even when you're accustomed to eating a dinner each night that includes some sort of appetitzer - I doubt many actually eat three course meals for every meal, and that's the one thing that we thought was a bit over the top! Not complaining - it was sorta nice to have dessert after lunch, something we don't normally order after lunch.....but it's A LOT to try to eat, day in, day out when you're there for a week or longer!

Yeah, 3 meals a day every day would be tough! We only had 2 days on our 11 night January trip where we ate 3 meals, and the one where we actually ate at all three was a LOT of food. We're not breakfast people, though, so only one of our 3 meal days was because we wanted to eat at all three restaurants. The other was because we wanted to do the Ohana character breakfast, where the kids ate but DH & I just sort of grazed on the fruit bowl and had our coffee/tea.

How we do the deluxe plan is mostly TS lunches in lieu of a midday break and then signature dinners in the evenings. If we're staying at a deluxe resort, we use some credits for room service, and on our next trip we're trying our first dinner show. On our January trip, we had 7 two credit meals over 11 nights. My plan for Sept is to do 7 two credit meals over 9 nights. That really cuts down on the "too much food" factor but doesn't cut into the overall value of the plan.

Who are these people you speak of? The people who would not have dessert at lunch? I would always have dessert at lunch if I could. And since DH cannot take the sight of me whining and trying to choose between two desserts for a half hour, he can order the other one and I get to have my cake and eat it and then have his creme brulee and eat it too.

Who are these people you speak of? The people who would not have dessert at lunch? I would always have dessert at lunch if I could. And since DH cannot take the sight of me whining and trying to choose between two desserts for a half hour, he can order the other one and I get to have my cake and eat it and then have his creme brulee and eat it too.

:thumbsup2:rotfl:
Great post.

On the ddp, we ordered what we wanted. No more, no less. We didn't eat only dinner adr's to maximize the plan, etc. and we saved $200.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter