Disney changing T&Cs - important

drdes

Mouseketeer
Not sure how closely people follow these things but I received an email from Disney amending their T&Cs.

Right at the end of the email, there is a change that states that by continuing to use Disney (I assume that means going to their parks in particular), we agree that we lose our right to participate in any class action lawsuits. I am not a lawyer but this seems like a cynical attempt to absolve responsibilities for their own actions post-COVID.

Not sure if this has been picked up elsewhere...

Not sure how closely people follow these things but I received an email from Disney amending their T&Cs.

Right at the end of the email, there is a change that states that by continuing to use Disney (I assume that means going to their parks in particular), we agree that we lose our right to participate in any class action lawsuits. I am not a lawyer but this seems like a cynical attempt to absolve responsibilities for their own actions post-COVID.

I’m not sure I follow. What grounds would there be for a lawsuit at this point anyhow? Disney is still offering full refunds if people don’t want to go now in light of these changes. People have the option to be made monetarily whole, which is all that would be required from a legal perspective.

I’m not sure I follow. What grounds would there be for a lawsuit at this point anyhow? Disney is still offering full refunds if people don’t want to go now in light of these changes. People have the option to be made monetarily whole, which is all that would be required from a legal perspective.
No idea either. For once I decided to read a "Change to T&Cs email" - I'm not a lawyer but would be interesting to hear from someone who knows this better. My guess is the aim is "if loads of you die due to a mistake of ours (e.g from catching coronavirus because we are not cleaning things properly), you can sue us, but only individually (which you won't be able to afford!) and not via a class action lawsuit)"

Are they offering full refunds? If I could get a refund for my tickets, I’d take it and go somewhere else. My understanding is that tickets that are not part of a package are still non- refundable. Yeah, I can use their value towards the purchase of new tickets at a later date, but in the meantime, Disney still has my money.

Are they offering full refunds? If I could get a refund for my tickets, I’d take it and go somewhere else. My understanding is that tickets that are not part of a package are still non- refundable. Yeah, I can use their value towards the purchase of new tickets at a later date, but in the meantime, Disney still has my money.
The tickets are not refundable but the value can be used towards ticket purchases in the future, so you do not lose the value. It’s not what people want to hear, but that’s always been the policy and it’s enough that a class action lawsuit would not hold up.

The tickets are not refundable but the value can be used towards ticket purchases in the future, so you do not lose the value. It’s not what people want to hear, but that’s always been the policy and it’s enough that a class action lawsuit would not hold up.
I know the policy, and I'm not looking to join a lawsuit. I was responding to your statement, 'Disney is offering full refunds if people don't want to go in light of these changes." My point is that offering future credit that can only be used on tickets is NOT a refund. Refund means I get my money back. I can't pay my mortgage with a Disney ticket credit. I can't take my family on a different vacation this year with a Disney ticket credit. Disney has my money and I'm not getting it back.

Now, if at some future point, I decide to purchase new Disney tickets with my credit, I will have the option of paying Disney MORE money or buying a ticket with reduced entitlements, since I purchased my tickets before the most recent price increase.

I doubt it is covid related. Many many companies are including no class action lawsuit clauses even before all this. Im surprised they didn't already have it. If I had to guess they were planning to do this way before covid.

They also have new pop up terms that you have to agree to before buying ticket media. After seeing them suspend new ticket sales for WDW, I went ahead and bought my husband a Disneyland AP. He has been serving overseas since last summer, comes home in a couple weeks, and his AP was not renewed last year. I didn't want him to get shut out of the parks this summer when they reopen, so I bought the pass while they are still for sale.

I did not screenshot it, but it was saying that the ticket in NO WAY guaranteed access to the parks, that access to particular rides, shows and experiences may be temporarily or permanently unavailable due to "enhanced safety protocols" and that the company holds no liability for the inherent risk involved in visiting the parks "at this time."

Pretty sure tickets that were purchased as part of a package from Disney are refundable to original form of payment.

The tickets purchased separately are not. Although undercover tourist ones are

This is not entirely true - I was granted a full refund for my tickets (not part of a package) and not purchased thru a third party . Disney has relaxed the "no refund" policy.
My tickets were for July 14, but I called and explained that due to the new guidelines, I did not wish to go at this time. I had an extremely nice cm - she asked me if I wanted to use the tickets for a date up until 12/20 - I explained that I would not be back until next july, the earliest, and she said to expect refund in 7-10 days .

I know the policy, and I'm not looking to join a lawsuit.
The original post was specific to the terms and conditions being amended to preclude people from joining class action lawsuits. Hence, my response.

I was responding to your statement, 'Disney is offering full refunds if people don't want to go in light of these changes." My point is that offering future credit that can only be used on tickets is NOT a refund.
Yes, if you'd like to split hairs, I could add an asterisk to say if you've purchased tickets directly through Disney outside of a package, you'd only get a credit. Or I could say you would be reimbursed by Disney in some form of refund and/or credit depending on what you've booked/purchase. But that's all beside the point - staying on topic of this thread, I can't think of any legal grounds a person would have to drum up a class action lawsuit because Disney already has measures in place to make people whole. Its not about whether you get your money back or a credit - either way, a person will not be out their money which would be the only avenue to some kind of lawsuit as referenced in the original post.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!