Disney and Pixar

and they, as any company with a successful product would, started to explore their options.
AV, please clarify your position. It seems you are saying that if ME allowed TS2 to count toward the five Pixar would have extended the deal..........to 7?, 9?, 20?, indefinitely?...........and wouldn't be exploring their options for when that extended contract (if it materialized) ended. Is that what you are trying to say?

Thanks DancingBear...

It's been awhile since I perused that filing. Great reference.

It states Dreamworks and Fox have in-house capabilities and there are many competitors in the works. If that link you provided is accurate, then Disney is also involved with developing certain techniques. I agree the animation bridge seems to be gaping right now which is a concern - but given the options, what would it take, really?

Hi Matt...surely I know not everything is about the sky falling but this argument seems to be painting that picture, IMO. I think Disney can and will do whatever they need to do... form other profitable alliances or develop on their own.

I don't necessarily see how a Disney-Pixar breakup can automatically be considered a mistake of Disneys. From reading all of this it seems to me that a likely probability was of the breakup's inevitability. In this case what could Disney do? If Job's despises Eisner or thinks he can do better elsewhere or only offer's Disney a relative pittance of an agreement what else can Disney do?

In the end, this seems like it was a great deal for both companies with Pixar knowing they'd be seeking greener pastures (with or without Disney, given success) and Disney full aware that big Pixar success would mean a good possibility of splitsville...This is why it was absolutely correct and smart for Eisner to get what he could from the original deal (and the TS2 conflict). If a Disney acceptable agreement can be renewed, that'll be great but Disney doesn't need to make a bad deal here...

Almost every job in Hollywood that is involved in actually making movies is freelance. People are hired for a specific movie. They work on that film and then have to go find other jobs. Animation was unique because people were actually employees and not contractors. It made sense – an animated films takes years to make and it's more skill driven than most other film occupations. Becoming a good animator requires years of practice, being a grip or gaffer just takes a union card.

One of the big changes that started at Disney, and accelerated by Katzenberg over at Dreamworks, was to run animated films like "regular" movies. The concept was to hire/fire animators on a project-by-project basis, just like everyone else in town. As both Disney and Dreamworks quickly found out, that process doesn't make a lot of great movies.

Companies like Pixar and Blue Sky are kind of a middle ground. They employee animators, but the company as a whole can be contracted to work at one studio or another. Pixar makes the movies it does because they have a strong team of people who work well together.

I suppose if Disney wanted to rebuild their in house group they could. Jobs hard to come by in any field about town. The real question would be the caliber of people you’d get. What happened to The Secret Lab, Disney's treatment of the traditional animators and the labor camp CGI training routine are all well known. So yes, you'd get people applying but the applicants would show the same loyalty to Disney that Disney showed to them the first time around.

My instinct tells me Eisner was hard nosed with Pixar over Toy Story 2 because a) The Secret Lab was going to blow them away and b) Pixar without a Disney contract would be a shell of a company so that c) Eisner could buy them for pennies on the dollar in the future.

Except Pixar produced a string of mega hits and made them a major player. Disney's own efforts misfired and then were completely abandoned. All Pixar has to do is sign a deal that not's worse than the one they have with Disney and Wall Street will love them even more. Any deal will certainly be financially better, and there are much better distributors around (say GE/NBC/Universal with theme parks, movies, and a prime time series on the #1 network…but you didn't hear that from me). Instead of Eisner having the upper hand, Pixar does.

"AV, please clarify your position. It seems you are saying that if ME allowed TS2 to count toward the five Pixar would have extended the deal..........to 7?, 9?, 20?, indefinitely?...........and wouldn't be exploring their options for when that extended contract (if it materialized) ended. Is that what you are trying to say?"

At the time I think both groups wanted an extremely long term relationship. Pixar wanted to make movies and not worry about distribution and stuff; Disney found a tremendous source of new characters for the parks and merchandise. There was also a great sense of respect between Disney Feature Animation and Pixar. The guys up north wanted Disney's expertise in character and storytelling (like understanding the core of Toy Story isn't "toys come to life", but the relationship between Woody and Buzz), the guys down south wanted all the technical marvels that could make their animation even more spectacular (like the ballroom sequence from Beauty and the Beast where the animation soared).

The relationship soured at the top and spread down. An interesting exercise is to watch all the extras on the DVDs for Pixar movies. There are a lot of Disney people in the material for Toy Story. But by the time you get to Monsters, Inc. Disney is represented by the already fired President of Feature Animation doing a separately filmed in a broom closet far away from Pixar. And the chimp…does the phrase "monkey on our backs" have any relevance?

I think the reason the relationship is so bitter is because everyone had so much hope for it. The worst divorces are always between people who were the most passionately in love with each other when they got married. The same thing happens to companies.

That I much prefer reading posts like that one more so then some of your other - shall we see - less then flattering posts aimed at all of us wearing various shades of rosie glasses.

Second: I personally believe ME has learned from his recent string of failures. I see more investment into the parks then I thought I would. I know there are still park hour issues to deal with but I believe that as crowds increase,so will the hours. Financial institutes are looking favorably on Dis again. I'm optimistic. Deep down, personal animosity aside, do you think Disney can and will rebuild the Secret Lab and produce a hit flik in the next couple years ?

If Disney does build a secret lab again to produce CG films, they will have to fill it with PowerMacs, and not try to botch it substituting PCs. Cut your affliation with HP Disney! HP is a fat, non-innovating corporate crap pile!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter