Disney After Hours Q&A and Experiences Thread

scrappinginontario

Disney After Hours (DAH) events are hosted on various dates throughout the year at the 4 parks plus Typhoon Lagoon.

DAH events are open to all guests who purchase a ticket for the event. The experience is 3 hours in length and generally offers lower crowds during these events. Ice cream novelties, popcorn and select beverages—included with the cost of the ticket.

This thread is intended to ask questions and share your experiences!

Last edited:
I understand DAH starts at 10 pm, but you can enter as early as 7 pm. (I'm not sure if those hours are set in stone for each event; it is the case for the HS event I am considering).
I also know that I can enter HS before 7 pm ONLY IF I have a separate day ticket for that park. If I have that ticket, and I'm already in HS, I saw some YouTube videos that showed different places inside the park to get your DAH wristbands.
So my question relates to Genie+.
If I have a day ticket, and am already in the park, I could have some rides scheduled between 7 pm and park close, correct? (based on availability of course, or stacking, etc.)
If I DO NOT have a day ticket, and enter only at 7 pm when permitted with my DAH wristband, is it possible to still purchase G+ to get some rides between 7 and park close?
I understand that would be a pretty poor use of the G+ fee. But, I will be going with someone who is NOT a crowd or line person and I'm trying to build an enjoyable afternoon.
Thanks!!!

I understand DAH starts at 10 pm, but you can enter as early as 7 pm. (I'm not sure if those hours are set in stone for each event; it is the case for the HS event I am considering).
I also know that I can enter HS before 7 pm ONLY IF I have a separate day ticket for that park. If I have that ticket, and I'm already in HS, I saw some YouTube videos that showed different places inside the park to get your DAH wristbands.
So my question relates to Genie+.
If I have a day ticket, and am already in the park, I could have some rides scheduled between 7 pm and park close, correct? (based on availability of course, or stacking, etc.)
If I DO NOT have a day ticket, and enter only at 7 pm when permitted with my DAH wristband, is it possible to still purchase G+ to get some rides between 7 and park close?
I understand that would be a pretty poor use of the G+ fee. But, I will be going with someone who is NOT a crowd or line person and I'm trying to build an enjoyable afternoon.
Thanks!!!
Based on how things are working for current AH parties, to be eligible to purchase G+ you must have a ticket and park reservation for that day. I would anticipate it will be the same for AH events. If it works the same, if you only have an AH ticket you will not be eligible to purchase G+.

If a guest has a ticket on their MDE that they intend to use the following day (or later), they may be able to purchase Genie+. I guess only time will tell.

Some of these scenarios we won't really know how they play out until Jan 9, 2024 or later.

Last edited:
Based on how things are working for current AH parties, to be eligible to purchase G+ you must have a ticket and park reservation for that day. I would anticipate it will be the same for AH events. If you only have an AH ticket you will not be eligible to purchase G+.

If a guest has a ticket on their MDE that they intend to use the following day (or later), they may be able to purchase Genie+. I guess only time will tell.

Some of these scenarios we won't really know how they play out until Jan 9, 2024 or later.
thank you!

Any chances of there being any more dates added to April? If so, how soon do you think they will be announced (all guesses I know). We are trying to make our trip plans now.

Based on how things are working for current AH parties, to be eligible to purchase G+ you must have a ticket and park reservation for that day. I would anticipate it will be the same for AH events. If it works the same, if you only have an AH ticket you will not be eligible to purchase G+.

Park passes won’t be required for dated tickets by the time these new AH events start so if you have valid day guest tickets as well they have no way of knowing whether you’ll use them for park entry before 7pm.

And if you have an AP you can enter after 2pm and they’ll let you purchase G+ and ILLs for return times after 2pm without a reservation.

We are doing the first two DAH next week at MK and HS, this will be our first trip since Tron opened. Do we still need to do VQ during DAH? Is it possible to ride more than once? TIA!

Pleasantly surprised to see that I can get a discount on tickets with my annual pass. It's not listed in the buzz section of the app under discounts but when I compare the price without signing into my about and thru my account, poof, it's cheaper! Hubby only has 7 tickets to use so this will let us have an extra day in MK, fun way for us to spend leap day 😀

Were these available in July last year? We are taking advantage of free DDP offer and since we are saving a money on food, it might be the perfect time to add on an AH or two. We did the Very Merriest After Hours one (before they brought back MVMCP) and enjoyed it. Our next trip after this one will be sometime during MNSSHP and MVMCP season, so no MK ones for sure.

DH and I are going for 4 days, Feb 1-4. He has a park hopper, I have an annual pass, so I still need to make park reservations. I have my reservations set and our tentative plan for park hopping. However, looking at the After Hours calendar, it looks like MK and EP have After Hours on the nights that we had planned to hop to those parks. Plus a special ticketed event at HS on the 4th (not sure what event, doesn't appear to be After Hours) and of course our plan was to hop there on the 4th.

My question is, any idea if the crowds will be significantly higher at MK and EP on the evenings of the events? Looks like you can enter at 7pm with the special ticket. Wondering if I should rearrange my plans?

My question is, any idea if the crowds will be significantly higher at MK and EP on the evenings of the events?

There are a lot less tickets to DAH than there are for the holiday parties. So those do have a noticeable increase in crowds once they can enter the parks. Not so for DAH. There aren’t enough tickets sold for DAH to significantly impact regular park hour crowds. At least in the past that has been true. However, the most popular rides like 7 Dwarves & Remy will still have those higher number of people who jump in line ant the last minute. So those lines may be impacted. Then there are people like my husband & me. We have APs so don’t need the extra park time. We’re older, so we tend to relax & have an easy day when we’re going to DAH. We usually enter just before park closing & steer clear of nighttime entertainment like fireworks. So we don’t impact the crowd before closing at all, lol.

There are a lot less tickets to DAH than there are for the holiday parties. So those do have a noticeable increase in crowds once they can enter the parks. Not so for DAH. There aren’t enough tickets sold for DAH to significantly impact regular park hour crowds. At least in the past that has been true. However, the most popular rides like 7 Dwarves & Remy will still have those higher number of people who jump in line ant the last minute. So those lines may be impacted. Then there are people like my husband & me. We have APs so don’t need the extra park time. We’re older, so we tend to relax & have an easy day when we’re going to DAH. We usually enter just before park closing & steer clear of nighttime entertainment like fireworks. So we don’t impact the crowd before closing at all, lol.
Thank you for your reply! That makes sense, and is the answer I was hoping for. Also, never been in early February before, we usually go during much busier times. Hoping for lighter crowds.

I've done multiple after hours events:

Typhoon Lagoon event is AWESOME!
MVMCP been 5x or more. Not worth it unless you want to stand in loooong lines for seldom seen characters. The park is PACKED and lots of ultra tired cranky people and children. LONG lines for food and restrooms.
MHSSHP been 2x and enjoyed both. Much lighter crowds than Christmas event. Parade crowds deep.
There were 2 events at AK and both were terrific and more "adults only"
HS - 2 events one was Christmas and the other was a single event during food and wine. I didn't pay for either so can't really complain but not worth the $100+ tickets.
These After Hours events are a different experience from the parties you went to. Very limited tickets are sold so there's minimal if any lines for rides, free unlimited frozen treats, popcorn and drinks throughout the park with no lines. No characters once the regular hours were over but that isn't important to us. It looks like there will be fireworks this year as well. It was like we had magic Kingdom to ourselves, can't wait to do it again just for that exclusive feeling. Here's a few pictures, notice the line for jungle cruise we had our own boat!
20230307_000349.jpg20230306_231018.jpg20230306_230042.jpg20230306_222058.jpg

I've done multiple after hours events:

Typhoon Lagoon event is AWESOME!
MVMCP been 5x or more. Not worth it unless you want to stand in loooong lines for seldom seen characters. The park is PACKED and lots of ultra tired cranky people and children. LONG lines for food and restrooms.
MHSSHP been 2x and enjoyed both. Much lighter crowds than Christmas event. Parade crowds deep.
There were 2 events at AK and both were terrific and more "adults only"
HS - 2 events one was Christmas and the other was a single event during food and wine. I didn't pay for either so can't really complain but not worth the $100+ tickets.

You’re talking about MVMCP & MNSSHP which are holiday parties, not Disney After Hours Events. They are 2 very different things. As @Donald - my hero said, the DAH events are ride focused events. Except for a few rare times, they do not include character meets, stage shows, parades or nighttime entertainment. They cost more than holiday parties because so few tickets are sold. The Disney Studios Jollywood Nights party was a holiday party, not a DAH event. There were 2 stage shows, several music stages, character meets & Jingle Bell Jingle Bam fireworks. There were no , specific party foods & beverages, no included snacks or sodas & rides were not the focus of the party.

I wonder how you can state they are “not worth the $100+ ticket” when you haven’t been & aren’t clear on what they are. We have APs but been to many DAH events at MK & 1 at Epcot. We find they absolutely are worth the money & have already bought tickets to go in February & March. In fact, we’ve planed trips & flown 2 + hours just to attend DAH.

Last edited:
Pleasantly surprised to see that I can get a discount on tickets with my annual pass. It's not listed in the buzz section of the app under discounts but when I compare the price without signing into my about and thru my account, poof, it's cheaper! Hubby only has 7 tickets to use so this will let us have an extra day in MK, fun way for us to spend leap day 😀

It is listed in the buzz but you have to scroll over. $30 off is a great price.

Hope they release more dates soon. We arrive 4/13 for 11 nights and hoping to catch one or more. Would like to know before we have to make our ADR's and finalize our plans.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter