DISMEET 2022? Is Anyone Interested?

tigger92662

They're more like guidelines than actual rules
Well, I'm gonna throw this out there.
While at the Dismeet in the Smokies, I threw out the idea of a Dismeet at Hershey PA.
I realize it's kinda early, but with the surge in RV sales, I'm concerned it's gonna be hard to book for next year.
If there is enough interest, I will take the lead on this one and start getting intel for campgrounds and the such.
Let me know how y'all feel.
Yikes, short time in The Smokies and I just said y'all. :rolleyes:

2nd post!

I got a very short glimpse of the area during our recent trip. I'll admit, Randy and I have long discussed a trip out west to Yellowstone or Glacier NP possibly next year but we are still planning that out. If it doesn't work out, or if timing is different we'll certainly be interested.

I have to second Kris G. We heard rumor of Hershy - Harrisburg I also expanded my search to include Gettysburg as a potential location and j have been checking out a number of locations. I will admit I have expanded my search area to include Gettysburg.
Beyond Location we need to consider the WHEN question. For those with School aged children when will their schools let out.
Hopefully during his treatment period we can impose on PaHunter to offer his expertise on campgrounds in the area . Maybe we can 2 fid 2 or 3 more volunteers to transport Him, Jenn and Reba along with their rig so they can join us .

Depending on when you're planning Harrisburg is a day's drive for me. I'm driving through there in September of 2022 but could be possibly persuaded to extend my vacation if the dates work out.

If you stay at the Hersheypark Camping Resort (owned by Hershey) you get into the park early and there was (not right now, due to COVID) a free shuttle that would take you to the park. I THINK there is also free parking at the park for campers. We stayed here once-nice enough but very tight.

Hershey to Gettysburg = 53 miles

Now, if there is more interest in Gettysburg, there are quite a few nice campgrounds in the area.

And, just to throw this out -Gettysburg to Lancaster is 55 miles and Hershey to Lancaster is 38 miles. Lancaster is also a great place to visit.

I'm interested, but details need to play out more. I might even be able to swing it that I'm working nearby and could stay in the rig instead of a hotel (that smells like chocolate inside all the time).

I've hiked about 20 miles of the AT in that area (closer to Lickdale / Jonestown), when on a work trip. Such a pretty area when you get a little north of Hershey.

I'll give a tentative "in". Devil is in the details. Donna will likely have to work part of the time, so good wifi/cell service will be a must. The rest depends on timing. We are going to Europe July 30th to mid-August. Taking a 12 day tour and ending with a few days at DLP.

May/June would be best. I have never been to that part of the country, so I don't know enough to have a preference on where. We do like to explore the area, so a location with different things to see and do for a week would be great.

j

Tentative "IN".

Hersheypark and its campground is within an hour's drive of Gettysburg, Lancaster (Amish?), the Strasborg Railroad (steam) and Pennsylvania Railroad Musuem (across the road from Strasborg). We did a tour up that way 20 years ago and stayed at the Red Caboose Motel near the Strasborg RR.

Early-mid June is our preferred time. We have other "bucket list" plans that are an outside possibility hence the "tentative". But that area of the country is of interest

Ed

I am just going to put this out there Fathers day is June 19 2022. So whose Fathers I am going to assume those with Fathers still with us will want to be home to be with them..
I will speak in the coming week with a friend that just stayed at Hershey Park's Campground and will get his impression.
Just for kicks and giggles our Pa Hunter has in the past had good things to say about KOA 5 miles from Hershey Park.
Ed for information purposes The Amish are big Makers of SCRAPPLE

Last edited:
I would be willing also. Hersey campground, the offical one isnt exactly great. So the benifits for the park are good, the sites are mostly small and require more sewer hose then most. Like 35 feet. Lol. I would prefer mid june, so the kid is out of school. Some of the other resorts in the area look real nice but i never stayed there. I think ( havent been in a spell) the national cival war museum is like an hour drive from there also.

@Sjm9911 I guess I heard all the stuff about the Hershey campground from you. Looking at the pics though I do think too close. I am good with early ish June. Good internet would be helpful though. We may stay longer but work. Again not sure depends how details come out. Right now though we will definitely try and make it. Plus I can go back to State College. We are Penn State.

I'm not sure staying directly in Harrisburg/Hershey is the best bet.

@garneska and I were looking at campgrounds south of Harrisburg, but north of Gettysburg, one that came up was Gettysburg Farm RV Campground. This may be a good option, depending on internet & cell connectivity.

One thing is for sure, I need @SouthAlabama5er and @tiggerdad to see PA in the daylight.

Bert

Last edited:
I just looked at the Harrisburg East Campground. It is close to interstates, so cell service should be good and has a decent location (from somebody that has never been to the area). The place looks big enough and the pics are nice. Then I saw the rates. They are quite proud of their campground. Not a deal breaker for us, but that may impact some others.

j

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter