Dishwasher Died! Any Suggestions for Replacement?

aka-mad4themouse

<font color="blue">Budget Board Co-Host</font>
Well, my dishwasher finally kicked the bucket and I'm in the market for a new one. The old one was the cheap GE that the builder installed when we built the house 11 years ago. I'd like something a little more energy efficient and much quieter. My DBro has a Bosch and SIL loves it but I'm not sure that it's worth spending the money for the name. My previous house had a KitchenAid but I'm not sure that they're still the quality company that they were back then. Any suggestions?

This happened to us last week! We ended up buying a Kenmore Elite. It was about $800 and is super quiet! Our old one came with our house (we had our house built) and it was so loud it sounded like a truck was going through the house when we ran it. This one is supposed to be energy efficient and it has a "tall tub" and "fold down tines". I love it. It also has a stainless steel tub. Good luck.

Ah yes just last year our builder included GE died.... after leaking water all over the floor for too long. We replaced it with a Bosch(we had one in our last house) and we love it. Quiet doesn't give it justice. It is REALLY quiet. In fact we run it during parties and people are touching it to feel it running because they don't believe us. I will say that it took about a week of trial and error to get the cleaning just right(which detergent to use-powder vs.liquid..how to load the dishes ect) Also the Bosch does not have a garbage disposal built in so you need to clean out the food trap on the bottom about every 3 days.(or less if you are good rinser I guess) But I vote Bosch. My Mom was raving about her "quiet" Kitchenaid top of the line(which wasn't that much cheaper by the way...) and it was so loud!!! compared to ours. So I guess it depends on how quiet do you want it? and is your kitchen an open floor plan with the family room - then I say go all quiet!

We installed a Kenmore just a few months ago, and are very happy with it. I think this is the model we have, right now it's $319.99. It's so quiet I can't hear it running unless I'm in the kitchen, and even then it's not loud. It has a ton of features, and I like the push-button settings, no dial to twist and try and line up to get the right cycle. It even has a feature wear it will was the top rack only, like if you are having a party and just need to run a load of glasses, I guess this saves water, time, and energy. I'd buy it again in a second!

White Kenmore 24 in. Built-In Dishwasher with Electronic Precise Select Controls
Sears item #02216192000 Mfr. model #16192
This stylish, [HA_ENERGYSTAR]®-qualified built-in dishwasher features the 5-level Precision Wash system and a towerless design with removable upper and lower racks that provide flexibility in washing varying sizes of dishes, pots or pans. Smooth electronic dial movement delivers precise cycle selection.

We replaced ours with a mid-price GE. Sorry I don't know the model number. It was supposed to be quiet. It was supposed to be a good appliance.
It is now two years old and I wish it would break beyond repair so I could ditch it. Just as loud as the original cheap one the contractor put in the house. Inside is cheap. Gets off the tracks all the time. Parts fall apart.
Glad you are doing some research. I just listened to the salesperson (likely she wanted to get rid of it, IMO).
If I could do it again, I would not hesitate to spend more money and get quality.

We got a Bosch when we remodeled our kitchen 4 years ago. You can't even hear it WHEN STANDING NEXT TO IT! It also had a stainless steet tub. We got one with the controls ON TOP, so we could cover it to match our cabinets. It was $800, and well worth it. No regrets here! :thumbsup2

aka-mad4themouse said:
2 teenagers - DD15 and DS14 (aka: the human eating machine). We were doing a full load of dishes everyday.

Sounds like you've got two built-in models, although these probably aren't the quiet kind...'specially when they have to do the pots :rolleyes: One thing about it, when they start doing the dishes it's amazing how they stop using every dish &cup in the house. :smooth:

I'm loyal to Kenmore & have never had any repair issues with any of their appliances. However, when we replaced our dishwasher, I went with a tall tub model Soundproof 4 (whatever term they use) and it really is not noticeably quieter than the 3 we had in our old house. Not bothersome loud but you do hear it running. Regardless of the sound, I like the dishwasher overall & would buy the brand again.

tallpkb said:
We got a Bosch when we remodeled our kitchen 4 years ago. You can't even hear it WHEN STANDING NEXT TO IT! It also had a stainless steet tub. We got one with the controls ON TOP, so we could cover it to match our cabinets. It was $800, and well worth it. No regrets here! :thumbsup2

I have the same Bosch! I LOVE it! It is WELL worth the price!

My GE Potscrubber is about 20 years (or more) old and it has needed two repairs. One time it turned out that if you put sharp knives in upside down they were catching on the blade that turns round in the bottom of the machine. I figured that one out myself after paying for two service calls. :confused3

About five years ago it totally quit working. As I am hoping to move to another house in the near future I sure did not want to buy a new one for new owners. ;) I found a website diy.com and was able to find a troubleshooter and discovered it was just a faulty latch that would not allow the machine to work. Simple fix and it is still working.

I put the most disgusting pots and pans in there and they still come out clean after all these years. I never could understand having to wash the dishes before putting them in and that is why I bought a mid range dishwasher instead of the very cheapest. I also research any purchases using Consumer Reports and have often found that the most expensive is rarely the best choice.

I have to admit that I cannot hear worth a hoot so my dishwasher is probably noisy as all get out so it might not work as well for those who CAN hear. :listen:

BTW, I have a dd who can dirty every dish if she is just boiling water and has not changed a bit now that she is married and does her own dishes. She also uses a different bathtowel for each body part. It is not my problem any more. I merely smile when dsil complains. :rotfl2: She has many more good qualities so he should learn to cope. ;)

Slightly Goofy

Dishwasher Died! Any Suggestions for Replacement?

Whew! At first I thought this was a thread about your husband...

tallpkb said:
I have this same dishwasher, however we only paid about $500 for it. We bought it at the Sears Outlet store for a cash and carry price. There was a small scratch on the side, but when DH installed the dishwasher the scratch is not noticeable. I guess it was a $300 scratch.

We are a "load a day" family also. I am on my second Kenmore and have not had any problems at all. My newer one is much quieter than my previous one.

While I've also heard Bosch is a good machine the price tag scares me. But if you've got the dough.........just remember that'll be less Mickey Bars for your next trip!!

DianaPrincessofWales said:
We are a "load a day" family also. I am on my second Kenmore and have not had any problems at all. My newer one is much quieter than my previous one.

While I've also heard Bosch is a good machine the price tag scares me. But if you've got the dough.........just remember that'll be less Mickey Bars for your next trip!!

It is so worth it for a Bosch. It is so quiet and it gets the dishes incredibly clean. My FIL and SIL both have Boschs and love them! Using your money analogy, Mickey bars melt... a good dishwasher you will have for many years!

We are building a new house and we took the "credit" on the appliances so I could get what I wanted. Well I really wanted a Bosch but they didn't have 1yr same as cash and well when your buying everything.... Anyway keep in mind that a Bosch doesn't us heat dry so it cost less to run and it's safe for your good china! (at least in my world)

Must be the season because my dishwasher just died too! It was almost 19 years old!

DH went to Sears because they are always rated well. He found that the Whirlpool's are what make the Kenmore's. He found a nice Whirlpool that he liked, Quiet Partner III.

Then he went to Lowes and priced them and ended getting it a little cheaper there. He got a deal that they were running at that time, no payments for interest for a year.

I cannot believe how quiet it is! It has a really nice big rack on the top and the bottom. The racks fold away and you can have several arrangements. The silverware holder is on the door.

It works a lot better than the old one too.

Hope this helps! Good Luck!

:tink:

Another vote for the Bosch. In Canada we have little stickers on all appliances (called Energuide) that tells you what the cost to use the appliance is per year. When we got our Bosch, it used the least amount of water and energy. It will save you $ for years to come and is very quiet, even if it may have a higher price tag.

We thought our dishwasher had died as well, but luckily DH is mechanically inclined and was able to replace the motor himself. It works great now. It had been making really horrible noise for quite some time before...so I have a feeling our dishes may not have been getting as clean as they should've been (ugh!).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter