Discovery Cove Dolphin Swim vs. Blue Lagoon (Nassau) excursion

Discussion in 'Sea World / Discovery Cove' started by RllngRckBrw, Jul 8, 2017.

1. RllngRckBrw

RllngRckBrw DIS Veteran

So my family is taking a 5 day trip on the disney Dream (not sure if this is better suited for the cruise board or here) next summer. We are currently planning 2 days at Disney but have an open day before we get on the ship. One of the requirements of our family is to swim with dolphins. The 2 options that we have is at the Blue Lagoon in Nassau (our only port other than Castaway) for about $950 for a family of 4 or going that open day to Discovery Cove for about $1,350 for the same 4 of us.

So, I am interested if anyone has feedback on either but preferably a compassion of both. The extras at D.C. certainly are a plus for us, we are excited to see the rest of the park and it would also give us an extra afternoon to explore the Disney Dream but our main focus is the dolphins. I have seen reviews that lead me to believe the one in Blue Lagoon may be more engaging. What would you do if in the same scenario? Any thoughts or feedback is much apppreciated.

2. Starwind

Starwind DIS Veteran

We absolutely loved Discovery Cove and it is something we will do again when timing and budget allows.

We have not done the dolphin experience at Blue Lagoon, but we walked past the area when we did a day at the beach there as part of a Disney Dream cruise. Seeing that area, and the forlorn dolphin just swimming in circles, to be honest, there is absolutely no way we would do a dolphin experience there. YMMV.

SW

RllngRckBrw likes this.
  3. Avatar

Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  4. Starwind

Starwind DIS Veteran

Consider, aside from the dolphin part:

Discovery Cove is a whole day experience, if you want it to be. We really enjoyed swimming beside the shark tank, lounging on the lazy river, swimming with and handling the stingrays (first time we had done that), swimming in the various themed pools (not sure what else to call them), relaxing on land, walking through the aviary. Meals were also good and they accommodated our food allergies. Even JUST those things, Discovery Cove was amazing. Add in the dolphin experience and it was even better :-) Made some great memories and we plan to go back.

We did the beach day at Blue Lagoon. It included lunch -- the meal was ok, but not good or great. We arrived with one of the first groups, and we had had our fill by lunch. We left on the first boat leaving after lunch. Basically, it is a beach. Well, a couple beaches, but a beach. They do have some nice hammocks in the shade. But the swim area is small, the water not all that clear, there is an extra fee to use the slides and such [we didn't]. Castaway Cay was a much nicer "beach day" experience. We are glad we did it, because we had heard good things, but we won't go back.

Bottom line: you get a LOT more for your money with Discovery Cove.

SW

RllngRckBrw likes this.
  5. Corbie

Corbie Mouseketeer

Yesterday I read that DC has added a swim with sharks and feed rays option.

We're going in October and doing the Seaventure but not the dolphin swim.

DC is expensive, but it includes all your food and drinks, towels, free parking. Mainly (our thought) is it sounds super relaxing, which we will need between our Universal/IOA time and Disney. I'm afraid I can't comment on your other choice. I'm sure either one will be fun!

RllngRckBrw likes this.
  6. RllngRckBrw

RllngRckBrw DIS Veteran

Thanks for the feedback. As of now we are leaning toward Discovery Cove because of the extra time that it allows us on the boat and it just seems like a much more relaxed way to swim with dolphins and snorkel. When factoring how this day will change the original plans we had (a third day at WDW) and not doing the Nassau dolphin swim, on snorkeling at Castaway, we just about break even.

Corbie likes this.
  7. Corbie

Corbie Mouseketeer

We're really looking forward to our time at DC. Did you see they recently (like this weekend!) added a "swim with sharks" and a "feed the rays" encounter? We're doing the Seaventure ourselves. I'm sure you and yours will have a terrific time!

8. MrsDuck

MrsDuck DIS Veteran

DC is the most magical place in Orlando - seriously. I'd opt for DC and then take your day to explore the ship. You will never regret DC!

9. andyw715

andyw715 Mouseketeer

Does "summer" include Sept? I ask because DC tickets are usually around $100 cheaper in Sept than July/Aug. Gets you closer to price as Nassau.