Discounts to DVC owners...or lack thereof

GadgetRick

DIS Veteran
I love being a part of DVC, however, my main complaint is the lack of discounts for those of us who have invested a LOT of money buying into DVC. We tend to go more often and, when we go, probably spend more money (on average) than most. Why is it so friggin difficult for Disney to just give us a straight discount EVERYWHERE on the property???

Ok, I understand Disney doesn't own all of the businesses there but they have enough clout to bargain for a discount for us. They CERTAINLY can make this happen for the shops in the parks. Why do I have to check to see who offers a discount before heading out and buying things???

I also still don't understand why they can't give us a better discount on tickets. And why do they ONLY give them when you're staying at a DVC property??? Again, it wouldn't be hard for them to offer a straight discount no matter where you stay. If I remember correctly, I believe they used to include passes when they first started DVC. I'm not saying I should get a free pass but how about extending the discounts a little?

I sound down on DVC but I really am not. My wife and I love it, the resorts are great, you get the same great Disney service when you stay and all that. I'm just annoyed about the lack of discounts. We have 230 points so we've invested a few bucks there. We go 2-3 times a year. Of course, we don't have enough points to cover all of our stays so we also pay to stay at times. We're considering buying more points, too. With the amount of money we've invested I feel we're entitled to a little something in return.

Where's the love????

The Rickster

DVC does not control the discounts offered. They negotiate them with the other departments at Disney. I attended a DVC annual meeting and that was their explanation.

The department that controls park tickets probably does not see where it would benefit them to offer more ticket discounts to DVC members. Same thing with the merchandising department. A good portion of the dining discounts are not at Disney owned properties (Dolphin, Swan). On the other hand, I don't know how hard DVC pushes them for it. They seem to be selling DVC properties faster than they can build them.

If you look at it from Disney's point of view we are the last group they would have to give discounts to.
You have fully commited a large investment of your vacation time and dollars to them already. We have to use up our points each year and they know from the last 9 years that they will get lots of dollars from us. Therefore they have come to expect it from DVC members.
I think the only way that we could see some discounts of a serious nature is if all DVC members starting using their points offsite/ trade etc.. or stayed on property and made it clear to management that they are not going into parks, restaurants, shops and if fact are headed offsite to Universal, Seaworld etc...
And not just a few members but large scale. I believe it would take something of that size to make them take notice.
I mean here they have sold out BCV without any new or improved discounts and doesn't look like anything good or sizeable being added to help Saratoga Springs sales, so it looks like they won't be adding anything to help sales and that is usually our best ally.
Please don't take this wrong, I think the measley discounts they offer us are slightly insulting but we all new the score when we bought in. I hope that if enough people communicate and unite that we can see some positive changes.

I totally understand what you're saying. I even understand it. I still don't agree with it. You're correct in people are still buying properties regardless of a lack of discounts. My problem is they could/should be offering more to us since they could. I'm sure they're not pushing terribly hard. If they did, I'm guessing we'd see more discounts.

My main complaint is why give a discount for some things but not others? Ok, DVC doesn't own the other things but how about tickets? I get a discount if I stay at a DVC resort but not if I stay at a non-DVC resort. Doesn't make much sense.

I guess I'm looking for a more standardized discount structure. I certainly feel we've earned the right to get discounts everywhere but if not everywhere how about making it easier to understand where we get discounts and where we don't.

Maybe if we made some noise at the meetings they'd do more. I'll have to try planning trips down so I can make the meeting.

It comes up at every meeting, there have been many e-mail writing campaigns. They are well aware that members are looking for more discounts. Doc recently posted that he head there will be some news coming out soon. But I wouldn't expect much. They paid for the free passes for OKW members from 1992 to 1999 out of their selling budget. When it became apparent around 1996 that it wasn't necessary, they stopped the offer for new members. Bottom line, they are just looking to sell more points and don't seem to be having much difficulty.

I don't agree that DVC members have invested in Disney.

We have actually made a purchase - i.e., bought a pre-paid vacation plan. We pay annual maintenance expenses on the purchase to keep our purchase in good condition, just like we pay to maintain our homes and automobiles. Continuing the analogy, I haven't run into any automobile companies/dealers who offer ongoing discounts on their other products to those who chose to purchase one of their automobiles.

From a business' perspective, the purpose of discounts is to increase profits. Profitable/Well-managed businesses do not offer discounts just because someone wants them or feels entitled to them. If they did, they wouldn't stay profitable for very long!

When/If Disney determines that additional discounts for DVC members are in its best interest, we'll see them. No way would I sell my unique entertainment product for less than the market will bear and it is unreasonable for me to expect Disney to do so.

IMHO, Disney has lots of data on DVC members' current spending habits and has determined that there is no significant profit potential in providing additional discounts on park admission or blanket discounts of any kind.

You have purchased a real estate interest until 2042. That is all we purchased. The bennies are frosting on the cake. If we get them, super, if not, oh well.

Disney has lots of data on DVC members' current spending habits and has determined that there is no significant profit potential in providing additional discounts on park admission or blanket discounts of any kind.

You are certainly correct here in my opinion as it seems most members do what I do which is spend most of their time and money at the Disney parks, restaurants and shops. That is certainly the strongest reason they have do give us no additional discounts.
Our family has been very blessed to be able to afford annual trips to WDW, however I wonder if Disney offered deeper discounts to DVC members if there would be an marked increased in more trips, cash bookings (at a discount when points are used up.
More park visits (with better discount for DVC) etc... I think you (and Disney) could see an intelligent pattern here.
It would seem to make good sense.
But as I previously stated we are an already "sold" customer so I see their reasoning in not offering DVC members better discounts, I just don't like it!
Again if enough members speak with their wallets you would see a change.

Disney, as a corporation, seems to offer discounts to people as an incentive to spend when or where they otherwise would not have spent their money. If Florida residents are not visiting as much as Disney knows (from historical figures) they would with a room discount, Disney offers them a room discount. If DVC members spend more money due to a discount offered for lunches in certain underbooked restaurants, then Disney will offer a discount for that lunch.

What surprises me (and this really is a different topic) is that Disney has not picked up the practice of offering any special privileges to high points members. This kind of thing can encourage sales & profit.

For example, owners of two weeks at one of Marriott's FL beach resorts are allowed to reserve their vacations a month earlier than others. This enables them to book consecutive weeks in the same unit, if they want. It doesn't cost Marriott anything. And since many owners are not able to plan 13 months ahead, it doesn't really negatively impact other owners much either.

Fairfield gives high points owners at various levels (VIP, VIP Gold, VIP Platinum) a modest number of added benefits. These owners have purchased the equivalent of 2 weeks in a high season 2BR. The benefits don't really cost much but streamline their points usage. Little things - like an added midweek "trash & towel," weekday USA Today newspapers, slightly earlier check-in as available, priority in selecting room assignments in advance, the elimination of some of the added fees sometimes charged to FF owners.

Different programs have different reasons for offering added-value benefits to owners who have spent a lot of money with the company. But it seems as if high points members (600+ points?) at DVC would be more likely to be able to take advantage of special perqs. It's curious to me that DVC has not offered any as a purchase incentive.

Funny how so many DVC owners think they have made an investment in the Walt Disney Company. Not true, unless they are stockholders. Stockholders don't receive any park perks, and they do have an economic interest in the company.

That being said, I am all for whatever discounts are negotiated to be consistent, not greedy. Maybe 5% to 10% property wide, with the exception of counter service food (that would hold up the line). I know a 5% discount on ALL multi-day park ticket media (including APs) would probably benefit more DVCers overall than the 10% currently given on UHP passes.

While I agree that it is not truly an 'investment in the Walt Disney Company', I don't think the word 'investment' is outlandish or wrong. It is a pile of money that you are getting a constant return on and can sell at any time, possibly for a profit.....sounds like an investment to me.

I also think that it is shortsighted of them to not offer discounts. We spent more days in the parks and spending money with the "Golden Handcuffs"(free passes) than we do now....even though we have Fl Res passes, our guests and family don't, so we spend more time elsewhere.

I know that this is true of others and I believe it will be more and more of a trend as time progresses.

No matter how you slice it we have made an investment. It doesn't really matter with whom we made it but it's an investment.

I'm sure they'd like us to make MORE of an investment. Offering more discounts would entice people to make a larger investment. I like the idea of having higher point owners getting a different level of discounts. As has been stated here, many frequent traveler/stay programs offer this.

I also understand Disney looks at what they need to offer in order to get more people to buy in. Since they are selling out quickly they don't feel this is needed. This, of course, is one school of thought. This is the same school of thought the phone companies used (cell phones as well) for years. If you remember how phone useage skyrocketed once they finally cut the rates I think you'd agree the same approach would make sense for Disney.

Anyway, please keep in mind I'm not saying I don't feel I've gotten my money's worth for DVC, I'm just saying my only complaint is I don't feel Disney does much for their most loyal fans. Obviously, many other DVCers seem to feel the same way...

In reference to the automobile discount comment: Auto makers routinely give loyalty discounts to repeat customers.

And other timeshare companies give discounts for subsequent purchases. Hilton for one.

I am an absolute Disney Nut--but let's be honest. Disney doesn't offer any particular "group" (except maybe the military--and rightfully so) good discounts. They know they don't have to. We go religiously every year, spending thousands. I would love some discounts!!

If you check out the Resort Board, GadgetRick, you'll find out that AP holders are Disney's most loyal fans! :rolleyes:

We just bought into SSR, and the availability, quantity or amount of any discounts played no role in our decision to buy; that is, except the $10/pt new property incentive. And, at least right now, I can't see how 10% off meals, or tickets, would be a driving factor in buying more points - that would depend on a reassessment of our vacation needs; and how much our Addonitis was acting up....

I think a property wide discount of 10% wouldn't be too much to ask! Heck, they would save money printing all those perks pages and pocket perks pages if they just give us a discount on everything.... tickets, retail and food! JMHO

OK, Does Disney pay to print those things, or do Members pay to print those things?

What's those two sayings?

You don't get something for nothing!!

AND

There is no such thing as a free lunch!!

Those frequent flyer miles. As I remember when the program started, the fares went up. To offset the cost of the program.

The same would happen at Disney. A 10% discount for a meal would raise the base price to cover the cost.

Those free annual passes some people got for buying. Rest assured, the cost was figured into the point price.

My uncle's father had a grocery store. He'd have an item that sold for a buck and it wasn't moving. He had to get a buck for it to make a profit. What to do? Raise the price to $1.11 and sell it for a 10 per cent discount. The item flew off the shelf. Guess what. He got a buck for it.

Those Auto rebates? They raised the price of the car. And to add insult, you get to pay the sales tax on the rebate.

I got what I paid for. A set number of yearly points.

DrTomorrow,

I know we're Disney's most loyal fans. I'd consider myself quite a loyal fan. This is exactly my point. How about taking care of your loyal fans???

Someone else mentioned something about raising prices to cover the cost of various incentives. Although this does happen often enough with other things it's not ALWAYS the case. They do not have to raise prices to cover discounts. The whole point is we'd possibly spend more so they'd more than make up the 10% or whatever they give us.

Also, in reference to another point, I regularly receive discount tickets from the auto dealer I've done business with for oil changes and other things. Do I always take advantage of it? Of course not. But when I do they will typically wind up selling me other things. Of course this more than makes up for the discount they offered me.

In short, as I've said, I LOVE Disney but it would be nice if they did a little something to make us feel special. I understand why they don't but I'm saying they should for a lot of other good reasons. Am I going to sell my points? Heck no. Am I going to stop going? Heck no. But I will continue to complain to DVC about the lack of discounts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter