Discount for Veterans???

Deb & Bill said:
Retired military wouldn't have anything either if the Dept of Defense and the Armed Forces Recreation Center hadn't worked out an arrangement with Disney to lease the old Disney Inn.

They actually bought it outright about five years ago.

My BIL (AF Reserve, currently on active duty) and sister and their kids are staying there again in November. He reserved a second room for a few nights of their trip for me as well because my neices and nephews (the "cling-on's") get very upset when I leave, so I told them I'd spend a couple of full days/nights with them. Plus maybe I can have the three older kids share the room with me one night so DS and DBIL can have some time to themselves... :love:

Anne

Retired military wouldn't have anything either if the Dept of Defense and the Armed Forces Recreation Center hadn't worked out an arrangement with Disney to lease the old Disney Inn.

As someone already stated, the DOD owns SOG, it is not leased.

So, sad....I think that anyone who has served (and honorably discharged) should be honored. My DH is a veteran, even if he only served 4 years--much more than me, and most of us, have served.

I do not agree and I myself am a veteran.

If we are looking at heroes, we should give garbagemen discounts to Disney. Where would be be without them?? They don't make a lot of money, they do a rather disgusting, hot/cold, heavy lifting, etc. job.

ducklite said:
Personally I'd rather see a special deal from WDW for police and fireman more than veterans (other than those eligible for SoG of course!) because frankly I know a ton of guys who put in their four years in the military during peacetime and never even left the US--then got a college degree out of it.

On the other hand, police and fire fighters put their lives on the line EVERY DAY, if we are at war or not. It's too bad that WDW doesn't recognize their bravery.

Anne
Just because they never see action durning a war doesn't mean they don't see action in other ways. Good for them if they got a college degree. They STILL volunteered, which is more than most americans do (including myself!).
I agree with you that those other brave people, like the police and fire fighters, deserve a discount too. But just because someone didn't go to war doesn't mean they are less honorable or undeserving. If a police officer doesn't get shot at, or a fire fighter doesn't get stuck in a burning building, does that mean that they DON'T put their life on the line? Military, police, fire fighters-- they are ALL honorable and deserving of more benefits than they get.

SOG and Disney are, as stated before, 2 very separate entities. Regardless of how you feel about police and firefighters getting discounts, the SOG discounts are through the federal government and offered as a "benefits package" if you will to DOD employees, active, reserve and retired service members to compensate for relatively low wages. SOG allows lower enlisted people to take their families to WDW and stay on property where otherwise they would not be able to afford it. Guest rooms at SOG are on a sliding scale, so the rate you pay is determined by your rank. A private can be staying in an identical room next to a general, but the rates they pay vary drastically.

A private can be staying in an identical room next to a general, but the rates they pay vary drastically.

There is a difference in rates between ranks, but I wouldn't call it dramatic. For example, those in Category 1 (enlisted soldiers with the rank of private through sergeant, E-1 through E-5), will pay $80.00 a night for a standard room starting 1 October 2006. The highest, Category 3 (officers who are majors or higher) will pay $111.00 for the same room.

A bargain for any rank.

lost*in*cyberspace said:
There is a difference in rates between ranks, but I wouldn't call it dramatic. For example, those in Category 1 (enlisted soldiers with the rank of private through sergeant, E-1 through E-5), will pay $80.00 a night for a standard room starting 1 October 2006. The highest, Category 3 (officers who are majors or higher) will pay $111.00 for the same room.

A bargain for any rank.

Perhaps not drastic as I said, but that is a 28% difference, or about 150 bucks for a 5 night stay. I still think that is substantial, considering what some people will do to cut corners for a Disney vacation. Now, considering the rooms at SOG are some of the largest on property, it is a pretty good value for members of the armed forces.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts