Disboutiquers Part 28 Kids Disney Boutique / Customs Clothes psst..we sew ;-)

An eye spy bag is a little "pillow shaped" thing with a window in it. inside, you fill it with little polyfill beads (or something) and then you put little objects in it for the kids to search around an find. you usually enclose a card that has the list of objects for them to find - they are really FUN!!!:goodvibes

Question - I want to make a skirt to go over a pettiskirt - I dont have the pettiskirt -but I want to get it from Halo Heaven and It says the measurements are this..
Lrg(10-12yrs) length:17" waist:9" unstretched,
11.5" stretched
http://www.haloheaven.com/pettiskirts.html

So if Im making a twirl skirt, how long would I make the waist and then each tier? This would be for Elizabeth who is turning 10 next month!!!! Where are my math lovers!!!

Thanks

WOW!!

And then I made this Snow White skirt for Tori. This is the first part of my trip outfit planning!

AtjCO4nCEAAuSh1.jpg

And of course, I can't post without asking a question. How do you do appliques like this? I know how to do the frame, but how do you go back and put the name in there? Isn't it hard to line up exactly?

thumb_swirl_frame_name.jpg

Love the ruffle detail and the red dots..so cute!

And then I made this Snow White skirt for Tori. This is the first part of my trip outfit planning!

AtjCO4nCEAAuSh1.jpg

And of course, I can't post without asking a question. How do you do appliques like this? I know how to do the frame, but how do you go back and put the name in there? Isn't it hard to line up exactly?

The skirt turned out great! I have some of that fabric but I haven't decided what to do with it yet. Did you use a pattern or did you make that up?

For me the name in the frame applique is easy. My machine has the ability to combine and edit designs on its screen. I think if you don't have that capacity built into your machine, then you have to get some software to do that. I know a lot of people have Embird and there is a free trial version of the software. I have Masterworks and it is not conducive to editing other designs, it is more to create your own designs.

The skirt turned out great! I have some of that fabric but I haven't decided what to do with it yet. Did you use a pattern or did you make that up?

For me the name in the frame applique is easy. My machine has the ability to combine and edit designs on its screen. I think if you don't have that capacity built into your machine, then you have to get some software to do that. I know a lot of people have Embird and there is a free trial version of the software. I have Masterworks and it is not conducive to editing other designs, it is more to create your own designs.

I used a pattern called Ruffle Pop (I think) from YCMT. It was super easy and the skirt looks really impressive in person! :) The underneath layer makes it look fancier than it is. I love that fabric. I have quite a bit left, I might make an outfit for her AG with it.

Gotcha on the pattern. I don't think I can do that, but will need to check it out. I like the idea of creating my own designs but I don't think I am that talented!

OPINIONS NEEDED!!! PLEASE

Ok ladies,

I have never done the planning of outfits before. I have Hollywood studios planned for the boys Cars outfits. And Magic Kingdom they have Mickey and Peter Pan themes. Christopher has one for Animal Kingdom, but I am at a loss for Jonathon. He is 5 and Christophers is to babyish for him too. AND I have no clue for Epcot. I am planning to do shirts for the 3 older kids too.

Another QUESTION
I want to do a shirt for all of us to wear when we get to go back to GIVE KIDS THE WORLD to volunteer. It was such an amazing experience when we stayed there, and I want to thank them too. Anyone have any wonderful ideas???

Allison just told me I have 24 days left to get done. UGH!!!

OK, Thanks!

WOW!! These look amazing!! Great job!

How adorable! You've inspired me to want to get the bowling shirt pattern!!!

So last night I made my first cloth diaper for my niece. It wasn't perfect, but I am happy with how it turned out!

AtjCO4nCEAAuSh1.jpg

I don't have any software to merge files, but I can do a frame and a design in the center and have them turn out ok. If you don't unhoop, they will be centered vertically and horizonally. I have done it with a design and the name underneath too just don't unhooping and moving the 2nd design to the bottom of the other one.

Ok ladies,

I have never done the planning of outfits before. I have Hollywood studios planned for the boys Cars outfits. And Magic Kingdom they have Mickey and Peter Pan themes. Christopher has one for Animal Kingdom, but I am at a loss for Jonathon. He is 5 and Christophers is to babyish for him too. AND I have no clue for Epcot. I am planning to do shirts for the 3 older kids too.

Another QUESTION
I want to do a shirt for all of us to wear when we get to go back to GIVE KIDS THE WORLD to volunteer. It was such an amazing experience when we stayed there, and I want to thank them too. Anyone have any wonderful ideas???

OK, Thanks!

I think the bowling shirts are supercute, and maybe you could embroider something on the back?

For Animal Kingdom, could you do animal print shorts and maybe an applique mickey in animal print? I was planning on doing something like that maybe. By the way, we are going to GKTW in July. I read your whole trip reports..they were great!

I don't have any software to merge files, but I can do a frame and a design in the center and have them turn out ok. If you don't unhoop, they will be centered vertically and horizonally. I have done it with a design and the name underneath too just don't unhooping and moving the 2nd design to the bottom of the other one.

Thanks!! I will have to try that. She is having a sale on her embroidery designs so I got a few to try this weekend!

th_AtjCO4nCEAAuSh1.jpg

I used a pattern called Ruffle Pop (I think) from YCMT. It was super easy and the skirt looks really impressive in person! :) The underneath layer makes it look fancier than it is. I love that fabric. I have quite a bit left, I might make an outfit for her AG with it.

I have been eyeing this fabric since it came out and no luck finding it locally. I really like how you used it on that skirt. Thanks for posting where you got the pattern. I may have to bookmark it for when I'm ready to print out my own.

I have been eyeing this fabric since it came out and no luck finding it locally. I really like how you used it on that skirt. Thanks for posting where you got the pattern. I may have to bookmark it for when I'm ready to print out my own.

Our Joann's has it and I know you can get it on Joann's website. If you can't find it, I would be happy to get some for you and mail it.

Wow. The shirts turned our great and I love the dress.

Two questions: Your t-shirts are so puckerfree -- unlike some of mine. How often do you change your needle and did you use your favorite Floriani? I finally made a note to myself in permanent marker to get some of that magical stuff (even though you've said more than once that it's $ and you go without lunch for a week so you can afford it.)
I hoop Floriani medium weight cut away and then float a piece of Marathon's medium weight tear away under. I don't hoop the shirt -- I pin it on. I think I would stretch the shirt to no end if I hooped it and likewise there is no way I could ever hoop anything straight.

I don't know how much more expensive Floriani is -- whoever recommended it to me said it was pricier. Likewise, you can't buy it at Joann's with a coupon. I think I pay around $12 for a roll of it but I can't remember how big the roll is -- maybe 10 yards x 10" or so in height. I need to go buy more to get Amy's shirts finished so I can let you know for certain in a couple of days (providing sew vac has it in stock).

The shirts do pucker after washing -- they need to be ironed.

And now, some Robin photos:
Mama Bird
th_IMG_0698.jpg

Newborns
th_IMG_0699.jpg

Toddlers
th_IMG_3162.jpg

It won't be long now! They are sitting on top of each other!
th_IMG_3206.jpg

Regards,
C.
Wow! You have some very impressive photos! I will have to post some photos of what we caught this morning. We were aiming for an opossum thinking that is what ate the duck eggs but the lady from animal control said they don't hang around long in one place (though I see it form time to time!). We had the animal trap for two weeks and it was due back tomorrow, but lo and behold, we awoke to a raccoon in the trap this morning -- absolutely beautiful! Hopefully that is was has been twanging at our screen door periodically waking me up in the middle of the night. Mr/s Raccoon will get a nice new home courtesy of Animal Control.

Anyway, the birds are darling! Agree -- they will be learning to fly very soon.

I love this dress. I think it is sweet. Would you be able to post a clear picture of what the back looks like, the top portion?

Thanks, Tammie
I can't because I mailed the dress already and these are my only pictures. And I don't have any photos of any other dresses (form the back) with the halter style. I will see if I can have my dd model an older one this weekend and snap a photo of the back. It is the Simply Sweet Halter Style -- there are likely pics on YCMT.

t

I worked on my stuff for the big give tonight,
th_35d6daf8.jpg

Things I learned tonight:

my seam ripper is my new best friend.

irons will indeed melt the tops of your pins.

sewing with a 4 yo hanging on each arm is a challenge :rotfl:

the tension knob does indeed need to be adjusted when going from a heavy fabric to a light one. bonus to this...I learned how to make ruffles :rotfl:
Very cute! I already know your first two lessons all too well :) I don't have a 4 yo so don't have the pleasure of that experience!

I got to see the Tink in person and I must say I think it's fabulous, wonderful details and I think Callie and her mom loves it.
Thanks! That was my favorite thing about delivering goods in person to another family -- I got to see everyone else's creations!

Not Disney but made my nieces and nephew outfits for a trip to the zoo. I really liked the fabric. I would sew up the arm holes a little bit more on the pillowcase dresses next time. I love how easy the bowling shirt pattern is. I’m totally a newbie with sewing and it’s so easy. :thumbsup2

Sorry for the weird pictures, I didn’t take any before dressing the kids and I’m trying not to show my sisters’ kids faces on the internet!:rolleyes:

Dress 1:
th_Dress2.jpg

Dress 2:
th_Dress1back.jpg
th_Dress1.jpg

Bowling shirt:
th_shirt1.jpg

Playing in the dirt:
th_playingindirt.jpg
Magnificent work! I love the dresses and the bowling shirt. Carla's Bowling shirt pattern is great -- well detailed and explained, though I would say it's more difficult than other patterns so if you found it easy you should be a whiz with most other things!

W

th_AtjCO4nCEAAuSh1.jpg

LOVE LOVE LOVE this!!!! I was going to ask the pattern as well, but see you already answered someone else. Are you going to make a coordinating shirt?

To line up a name in the frame what you need to do is stitch out the frame and do NOT unhoop. As long as you didn't move the design around the center will be the center and you can then add the name with whatever your machine has for fonts. If you want to use a different font then you need a program to merge designs. Keep in mind that center works if it's a symmetrical design -- for something like a mouse head center will not put a name in the center of the mouse face circle (yes, I speak from experience). Even if you do move the design you can still hand mark the center of where you want the name and then find the center again before stitching. I hope this make sense -- it would be easier if I could show you!

Ok ladies,

Another QUESTION

OK, Thanks!
For GKTW designs or ideas you may want to see if someone on the DisSigners thread could make something for you (it would be iron on and you'd just print it on iron on paper).

Mickey flag designs or the Epcot logo are often used for Epcot. You could also do the ball with Mickey ears -- Marianne hand appliqued some nice ones.

For Jonathon's AK how about a bowling shirt in a more sophisticated animal print that will still coordinate with Christopher's?

ILOVE LOVE LOVE this!!!! I was going to ask the pattern as well, but see you already answered someone else. Are you going to make a coordinating shirt?

To line up a name in the frame what you need to do is stitch out the frame and do NOT unhoop. As long as you didn't move the design around the center will be the center and you can then add the name with whatever your machine has for fonts. If you want to use a different font then you need a program to merge designs. Keep in mind that center works if it's a symmetrical design -- for something like a mouse head center will not put a name in the center of the mouse face circle (yes, I speak from experience). Even if you do move the design you can still hand mark the center of where you want the name and then find the center again before stitching. I hope this make sense -- it would be easier if I could show you!

I highly recommend the pattern. I had no problems with it at all and I loved how it turned out. I tried to make a coordinating shirt but it was my first time trying to applique without my embroidery machine and I didn't like it. I got a snow white applique so I might try that tonight. The best part was that Tori loved it and it fit her perfectly. She is so used to her pants falling down because she has lost so much weight from chemo!! I loved seeing her happy at something I made!!!

Thanks for the tips on the names! I will have to add that to my list of things to do. I wish someone would come sit with me and do sewing lessons!! I am such a visual learner!

Ok ladies,

Hi, I'm not on here much but thought I'd jump in on the boy outfits. DS is 6 and will be 7 when we go next year. For our WS day at Epcot I am planning a Phineas & Ferb/Agent P outfit. I think I have heard WDW will be replacing Kim Possible missions with some Agent P missons soon? Either way, he loves Phineas & Ferb.

Not sure on Animal Kingdom yet, but would think about something with the Lion King possibly, or even Tigger since he loves Tigger. At 6 he's really starting to dress himself though, so I am letting him provide the inspiration/decision on if he wants me to make him outifts too. DD is going to have a Minnie "jungle" outfit.

As boys get to about 5-6 they start to get into older boy things. My DN 4 is going to disney this fall and is really into Toy Story, but he's pretty much done with Cars for instance. :confused3 If only they could stay little!!!

Hope that helps some.:hippie:

T
30 days is not far away, but I've seen the things you've posted already and it looks like you all have a very nice wardrobe Do your kids still fit in anything from the last trip?

They do fit into some of the stuff.... but I have OCD and we can not wear the same stuff... it messes with my pictures :rotfl2:

Good Morning all!
FYI I started a PTR for our DISmeet in Charlotte and a couple we are meeting up with in Atlanta...stop on by and feel free to post updates and photos so we know what we all look like :goodvibes

link is in my siggie!

:sad2:

Just to prove to you all I do still sew I am posting some new things I made. I have been working on orders which are recreations of previous items I made so I don't post those :)

These were for an emergency Big Give on Facebook
th_breynabiggive.jpg

Off to a meeting at Js school and then home to work on some orders.

Everything looks amazing!

I loved it and it was so simple! I don't love the way the words came out, I would like them a little easier to read, but that is the way it sewed it. I love the little bald princess though, and I think I might use her on other things. The applique process was easy once I got it through my head. They also included a little guide that said what each step was doing so that really helped.

Once you get the hang of it... it will now become an obsession everytime you see a blank tshirt:rotfl:

Got some Applique done for a fellow Diser (Can't remember her dis name now)
The 3 bears from the new movie Brave

IMG_8462 by tricialee22, on Flickr

I saw these on FB...are these Jessica's designs? They came out great.

FX you get a lot of extra sewing time. Although I agree that you already have such great outfits so whether you are able to finish any more or not, your family will look AWESOME!

My DH keeps telling me that too... hopefully this weekend I can get alot done.

When you make your clothing do you plan for which parks you will be in?

:welcome: I usually make all my ADRs first then start planning around that and which park we will be in.

Hello! I used to post on this thread way back in 2007/2008, but since I don't have kids of my own, Disney customs aren't that fun!
Not that I haven't made my own Giselle dress in the past. :rolleyes1

Anyway, the staff of the preschool ministry at my church like to do coordinated costumes for our fall festival.
I think one of the women would be a perfect Ariel and she said she'd wear the costume if I make it. :scared: That means that someone would see the INSIDE of one of my creations! :eek:

Needless to say, I'm petrified, but I can do it.

What's the best adult mermaid pattern out there? Any tips you can offer?

No advice on the mermaid pattern but I just wanted to say :welcome: back.

I am finally getting around to posting the shirts I've made for our upcoming trip. Just 10 more days until we leave. I still have a couple of more shirts to make and 2 autograph bags. I could not have gotten all this accomplished without the help and advice of several people on this board. You guys helped me from picking out the embroidery machine (PE770) to which threads to use to helping me find great digitizers and help picking out editing software. Thanks for all the great advice! I still have lots to learn and my new sewing machine arrived yesterday, but that new project may have to wait until we get back from vacation.

th_IMG_7063.jpg

Great job on all the shirts. Love how you added the names too!

First, Thanks to each and everyone of you who prayed for Lisa. The surgery was postponed until summer, due to Devine Intervention from above. If you want to know what REALLY happened, click on over to our TR (Not to be confused with our LATEST PTR...yes, we get to go back to Florida, Thanks to Pete’s brother!) Our PTR will also have some about our DIS meet in Charlotte, so feel free to sign in and say hi please.

So many were kind to respond to Lynn’s (cajunfan) request for hospital gowns for Lisa; however, not all have been pictured here and they were such a HUGE hit and brought Lisa such joy that they MUST be shared for all to see!

Amy (thebeesknees) made Lisa one, along with a matching gown for her doll Molly.

th_e9bcef13.jpg

:thumbsup2

Two questions: Your t-shirts are so puckerfree -- unlike some of mine. How often do you change your needle and did you use your favorite Floriani?

I found this little trick works for me and maybe I should have been doing it this way all along :confused3 because I used to only hand tight the hoop screw but now I am using my screwdriver and really make the stabilizer nice and tight and so far (knocking on wood) I haven't had the puckering issue like I did in the past.

It won't be long now! They are sitting on top of each other!
th_IMG_3206.jpg

Regards,
C.

I was so sad when my babies flew away last year. But keep an eye for them in the yard. The momma bird still needs to show them how to collect worms and you might still see after they leave.

It stitches a little sloppy in some places. I did a practice run and decided to skip steps 3 and 4 and then skipped some stitches in in steps 17 and 19 (I think it was 17 -- definitely 19). It was the black around Pluto, the black in Donald's hat and some of the black in Tigger. I also changed colors between Pluto and Tigger which the original digitized design did not call for. I still like the design, but thought it needed a little work.

I had the same problem. I did two different colors for Pluto and Tigger since they are different colors and the black kind of looked a little sloppy. Also I screwed up on Winnie the pooh. For the life of me I couldn't figure out who that was supposed to be until it was too late.

this is just awesome! :)

I worked on my stuff for the big give tonight,
th_35d6daf8.jpg

Things I learned tonight:

my seam ripper is my new best friend.

irons will indeed melt the tops of your pins.

sewing with a 4 yo hanging on each arm is a challenge

the tension knob does indeed need to be adjusted when going from a heavy fabric to a light one. bonus to this...I learned how to make ruffles

Great job... and I think we have all learned most of those lessons:rolleyes:

Not Disney but made my nieces and nephew outfits for a trip to the zoo. I really liked the fabric. I would sew up the arm holes a little bit more on the pillowcase dresses next time. I love how easy the bowling shirt pattern is. I’m totally a newbie with sewing and it’s so easy. :thumbsup2

Sorry for the weird pictures, I didn’t take any before dressing the kids and I’m trying not to show my sisters’ kids faces on the internet!:rolleyes:

Dress 1:
th_Dress2.jpg

Great Job!

th_AtjCO4nCEAAuSh1.jpg

So pretty!

And - where did you ever find that DISNEY logo with the characters - that is a must have for me!!!!

It's from Glitzy Stitches http://host.pappapak23.com/~glitzyst/item_46/Disney-Character-Logo.htm

First, Thanks to each and everyone of you who prayed for Lisa. The surgery was postponed until summer, due to Devine Intervention from above. If you want to know what REALLY happened, click on over to our TR (Not to be confused with our LATEST PTR...yes, we get to go back to Florida, Thanks to Pete’s brother!) Our PTR will also have some about our DIS meet in Charlotte, so feel free to sign in and say hi please.

So many were kind to respond to Lynn’s (cajunfan) request for hospital gowns for Lisa; however, not all have been pictured here and they were such a HUGE hit and brought Lisa such joy that they MUST be shared for all to see!

Amy (thebeesknees) made Lisa one, along with a matching gown for her doll Molly.

e9bcef13.jpg

0668eb01.jpg

b93b0cf1.jpg

c7446bae.jpg

Lynn’s gown in action.

0e63f987.jpg

The dolly hospital gown is so cute! What a sweet thing to include with an already sweet gift.

I was just looking at your TR - I don't know why I didn't realize you were in NC (duh, like I actually look...). We actually had two emergency stays at UNC-CH Children's Hospital with my 2nd & 4th child. Both of them had really severe reflux that caused one to stop breathing briefly due to aspiration pneumonia (at 20 days old) and the other to tear the esophagus due to the force of the reflux (at 5 weeks old). My 3rd child ended up there for a hypospadias repair, and the 1st one was finally diagnosed by a developmental pediatrician there who cleared up a concern we had held for 4 years at that point. I have a love-hate relationship with that place. I cringe when even see the signs for it, but I thank God that they took such amazing care of my kids (and it didn't hurt that the leading expert on postpartum depression happens to be on staff there, too).

Okay Ladies (And Gentlemen.. are there any gentle men on here)

My birthday is coming up and I was going to gett a new sewing machine for myself, yay me. Anyways, I have a sewing repair shop near me that sells used/ refurbed machines.

I know everyone had been asking for ideas lately but I have it down to two choices.

A. A 1945 Singer that has been completly restored to its orginal beauty and works perfectly. or...

B. A Brother SE400 computerized embroidery/sewing machine.

See I have a soft spot for all things vintage but man, the Brother SE400 is so nice. :confused3

Anyways, What would you get? Give me your thoughts ladies!

Please and Thank you
!

They do fit into some of the stuff.... but I have OCD and we can not wear the same stuff... it messes with my pictures :rotfl2:
I completely understand.

Okay Ladies (And Gentlemen.. are there any gentle men on here)

My birthday is coming up and I was going to gett a new sewing machine for myself, yay me. Anyways, I have a sewing repair shop near me that sells used/ refurbed machines.

I know everyone had been asking for ideas lately but I have it down to two choices.

A. A 1945 Singer that has been completly restored to its orginal beauty and works perfectly. or...

B. A Brother SE400 computerized embroidery/sewing machine.

See I have a soft spot for all things vintage but man, the Brother SE400 is so nice. :confused3

Anyways, What would you get? Give me your thoughts ladies!

Please and Thank you
!
I would get the vintage machine. I personally would not like a combo embroidery/sewing machine and doesn't the SE400 only do 4x4? Hold out for a 5x7.

I completely understand.

I would get the vintage machine. I personally would not like a combo embroidery/sewing machine and doesn't the SE400 only do 4x4? Hold out for a 5x7.

I agree! The older machines were built so much better than anything you can get today.

Lori in East Podunk

I completely understand.

Are there any limitations on vintage ones that you know of? Anything I wouldn't be able to do?

Right now I have two machines - both were hand me downs and are great machines but there is cause for upgrading. I have a singer from the 60's and a brother that I mother bought around 2001 but never used - I prefer the 60's one as the brother is super simple yet way to hard to use. I don't think it was ever very good quality.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter