Disablied and close NON preferred rooms

MemoryMakers2669

<font color=green>Would rather have a sippy tag th
I am going to Pop Century this summer with family and friends. My friend has a rare skin condition that has effected her hands and feet majorly. LOTS of walking will put her in a lot of pain and cause cracking and bleeding on her feet. She doesn't want to have to pay the extra for a preferred room.

My question is this, is it possible to get Disney to put her in a room that is just as close, that is in a non preferred building or will she be forced to get a preferred room? In the parks she may very well end up having to get a wheel chair if it is too much for her. She has never done anything like Disney, so doesn't know how bad it will effect her feet.

Also, her hands are all shriveled up and she has lost half of her fingers. She will NOT be able to do a finger scan at all. How does Disney deal with this and the new tickets and finger scans?

About the fingerscan - she'll just need to have a photo ID with her. Many people can't do the fingerscan. WDW is quite used to this situation.

There are lots of rooms at Pop Century that are non-preferred and closer to the food court/main area than some of the preferred rooms! The 50's section comes to mind first for me.

MemoryMakers2669 said:
My friend has a rare skin condition that has effected her hands and feet majorly. LOTS of walking will put her in a lot of pain and cause cracking and bleeding on her feet.
Once around World Showcase Lagoon is about 1.2 miles. It sounds like she absolutely will have to get an ECV, preferably from off-site so she can use it at the hotel and DTD as well as in the parks. It will make the trip more pleasant for your entire group.

Agree with both other posters.::yes::

There are lots of other people who can't do the finger scan.
If you go to the FAQs thread at the top of this board, you will find lots of info about ECVs and places you can rent them. Or, if she would have problems driving one of those because of her fingers, there is information about wheelchairs there too.

I'm not sure but would your friend benefit from calling special needs for room assignment? Just a thought.

Nanajo1 said:
I'm not sure but would your friend benefit from calling special needs for room assignment? Just a thought.

Yeah, this is what I was looking for. Is there a special department that deals with this? Having a room up close to the bus stop would be a really good thing for her. With her fingers, there is no way she could push herself around in a wheelchair, but the other thing might be doable. She does drive. She also can walk a lot, but Disney is much more walking than any other walking I have ever done. She has been on cruises, and by the end she is hurting. Disney will be a lot worse for sure, as I know it is for me.

I think you call CRO and ask for the special needs department. I've never done it. I hope someone with experience can help.

There is a specific number. I don't have it here at work, but it might be posted in the disABILITIES FAQs thread. I'll look when I get home if no one has posted it by then.

Thanks for the help. I called today and they got on the other line with the special services and hooked her up! We won't know until we get there though, but it sounds pretty good.

Do you have to stay at Pop Century? The bus stop there is in the front of the food court/registration building, and then it is a walk through the building, and then across the grounds a bit to the rooms. Even the really close rooms are a bit of a haul away from the bus stops. You might want to consider a wheelchair for the resort too, if you stay at Pop. I'm not sure if there is a map of Pop on this website, but I think allears.net has one. That would give you an idea of how large Pop Century is.

Glad that is sounds like special services is ready to help, and I hope you have a magical trip!

The FAQs thread near the top of this board has information about renting wheelchairs and ecvs from the various places.

FYI for future reference the WDW Resort Special Reservations number is (407) 939-7807.

I hope this helps.

Lori

Schmeck said:
Do you have to stay at Pop Century? The bus stop there is in the front of the food court/registration building, and then it is a walk through the building, and then across the grounds a bit to the rooms. Glad that is sounds like special services is ready to help, and I hope you have a magical trip!

Yes, we have to stay Value this time. It will be my third of FIVE trips in a year, so for me who usually stays at AKL, I kind of have to. Plus my friend with the disability has to as well. She was forced to quit working last Jan. due to her hands. We don't care though! I was just at ASMo and really liked it, so I know we will love POP. I will stay at a Value again before I would stay at a Moderate!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter