Disabled Vet w PTSD going to Disney - Advice please?

I had my hubs look at the resorts and he likes Port Orleans Riverside...is it quiet enough and away from the hustle and bustle to let him feel relaxed? He also wants to go fishing and it says somewhere that you can do catch and release fishing at a few resorts.

He has great taste. POR is a great resort. I've stayed there twice now and just love it! JUST wanted to make sure you know that it is close to EPCOT so that when the fireworks happen in the evening if you're outside you will hear them. We stood on the curved bridge from the lobby over to the mansions and could just see a little of the highest fireworks.

He can fish at POR! :) Also there are lot's of nice paths. And an awesome boat ride over to Downtown Disney which is really relaxing too!

My husband is 100% disabled for PTSD and TBI. We are going to Disney as a second honeymoon and renew our vows for our 10 year anniversary. We are planning on staying at Shades of Green but now I'm not so sure. :confused3 Can we get the military discount and stay at another resort on Disney property? I'm concerned that SoG is too close to all the fireworks at MK. Is there a travel agent someone can recommend that can help me with all this? I feel so overwhelmed! :eek: We have our dates, and airfare but everything else is kind of up for discussion. TIA!

SoG is nowhere near the fireworks. at best you MIGHT get a few of the highest reaching ones.. there will NOT be any noise. Military rates at the resorts do vary. if he needs quiet..SoG is PERFECT.. it is an extremely peaceful resort without all the hustle and bustle and sheer frenetic activity of the other resorts.

and quite frankly, more empathetic fellow guests who are more likely to recognize his issues and be more willing( and able) to help in case he needs it.

This is all so helpful! Thank you! Last time we went we got a GAC card no problem (before the big hoopla about disabled people "selling their services" to get through the lines fast) How has getting a GAC card for alternative entrance been since? My husband can't do the crowds in lines...he can manage being in the parks when they aren't so crowded so long as when we go to the rides he has the GAC card and isn't "trapped" in a crowded line. He can't stand for long periods of time either because of the damage from blasts in Iraq. He's "too young" to admit to needing a wheel chair or cane to help him through the parks. I had my hubs look at the resorts and he likes Port Orleans Riverside...is it quiet enough and away from the hustle and bustle to let him feel relaxed? He also wants to go fishing and it says somewhere that you can do catch and release fishing at a few resorts. Anyone heard of this? Is there a place to rent jet skis to ride on the water? These are the things he is interested in if it gets too crowded in the parks. Thanks for all the help everyone!:goodvibes

This sounds exactly like my DH. 100% PTSD, TBI among other back and knee problems. We are planning his first trip now. Like you I know we won't have problems with the crowds it's going to be the lines. Feeling trapped and having people all around him with no way out. I'm hoping that since we are going to one of the slower times it won't affect him as much. But still we are not planning on to many rides. The kids are a little worried about their Papa. Is there a new program like the Old GAC. We tried a couple days at Disneyland and were ok. Got a little anxious in some of the lines and we had to spend the rest of our last day just enjoying the ambiance.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter