Disability pass with Restaurant Accommodations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrea0710

Mouseketeer
We will be getting a disability for my son due to his autism, and I was wondering if this would help us with restaurants accommodations. My son only eats certain foods, but there are places we would like to go that do not necessarily serves the foods he likes. Would the disability pass help us with getting the restaurant to serve food that he would be able to eat (chicken, pizza, fries)?

No, the DAS is only for rides and attractions. It will not do anything for your resort, transportation, restaurants, etc. You would need to ask at every restaurant to see if they have certain foods. If they have them, they can make it, but if the restaurants do not have those items, I am not sure how you think they would be able to make them for you. They can't produce food out of thin air. Look ahead at the menus online and plan accordingly.

I didn't think they could make them out of thin air. I was just checking to see if they could based on the pass.

I didn't think they could make them out of thin air. I was just checking to see if they could based on the pass.

But that makes no sense. If the restaurant has the food, they can make it. If they don't, no "pass" can make that food appear for them to make. Disney is really great with food allergies and do have some alternatives for that but they can not have every possible food item just in case someone wants something off menu. The best you can do is ask if they have the items that you want. It has nothing to do with the DAS, that is for rides.

I am sorry. I have not read about the pass, so that's the only reason I was asking. Excuse my ignorance.

To add, at any buffet/family style or prix fixe restaurant he will be charged the full amount (child or adult depending on his age), regardless.

To be fair to the PP, I’m also confused as to how you think the pass could get the resultant to create food that they don’t have. And, the answer hasn’t changed since you asked in February.

I am sorry. I have not read about the pass, so that's the only reason I was asking. Excuse my ignorance, but I would appreciate you being more kind in your answer.

I'm sorry if I came off as harsh. But I have worked in food for over 30 years and people seem to think that restaurants have a Costco in the back room where everything is "in the back". There are menus for a reason. WDW is better then most places and are more likely to have a bag of frozen chicken strips, but that is why I said that you have to ask. Having a disability or limited palate can not make food appear in the restaurant if they don't have it. Again, it has nothing to do with DAS, allergies, or any other food issue. There is only so much room in a restaurant.

I'm sorry if I came off as harsh. But I have worked in food for over 30 years and people seem to think that restaurants have a Costco in the back room where everything is "in the back". There are menus for a reason. WDW is better then most places and are more likely to have a bag of frozen chicken strips, but that is why I said that you have to ask. Having a disability or limited palate can not make food appear in the restaurant if they don't have it. Again, it has nothing to do with DAS, allergies, or any other food issue. There is only so much room in a restaurant.
Perhaps the op was posting here to get other people’s experiences in particular restaurants at wdw instead of a lecture about the food service industry? It’s not easy to call a wdw restaurant & ask these questions so other people’s experience Is helpful info.

We have a child with sensory issues who had a very limited number of foods he would eat. Luckily, at age 20, he has expanded his palate. Sometimes we would ask nicely if it was possible to get pizza, chicken nugget, or grilled cheese. Most of the time, the server would offer to bring him one of the three items he would eat. We never assumed he would get accommodated, but we were pleasantly surprised.

Perhaps the op was posting here to get other people’s experiences in particular restaurants at wdw instead of a lecture about the food service industry? It’s not easy to call a wdw restaurant & ask these questions so other people’s experience Is helpful info.

Also, when we went to DLR a few years ago, the restaurants were very easy to accommodate us with foods, and we even had certain places offer to go to another restaurant due to my son's requests. That's the only reason I was asking!

We have a child with sensory issues who had a very limited number of foods he would eat. Luckily, at age 20, he has expanded his palate. Sometimes we would ask nicely if it was possible to get pizza, chicken nugget, or grilled cheese. Most of the time, the server would offer to bring him one of the three items he would eat. We never assumed he would get accommodated, but we were pleasantly surprised.

This is EXACTLY the answer I was hoping for! Thank you for being kind in your response.

I have a kid with food allergies, and another who is a relatively new T1 diabetic. For my allergy kid, we had already established a habit (we always made it fun!!) of looking at menus for each place we were interested in to be sure they had things he could eat. We make our choices based on those menus.

When my other child was diagnosed with T1, for our first trip back, we did the same thing with a different lens. Disney does not provide carb counts, but we could at least find places that (for example) had sides she would be able to eat (salad/vegies instead of fries/potatos). I also have milder food allergies, and this has worked very well for us.

We haven't don't any "set menu" places, but for almost every table service place, there are kids meals of nuggets, pizza, hamburger/hot dog options, if that is what your child prefers. Have fun browsing the menus. I've never asked anyone to "create" anything off menu, but I do try to eat very clean/whole30-ish, and I have asked for a salad with any vegie they have and grilled chicken/shrimp/fish. I've had great luck with that maybe 60% of the time; the other 40%...not so much.

Also, when we went to DLR a few years ago, the restaurants were very easy to accommodate us with foods, and we even had certain places offer to go to another restaurant due to my son's requests. That's the only reason I was asking!
That is just crazy to ask or expect a restaurant to do for you. They have menus posted. If the items you need are not on them go someplace else.

That is just crazy to ask or expect a restaurant to do for you. They have menus posted. If the items you need are not on them go someplace else.

I would not have made them do this. I merely told them what my son wanted, and they offered.

Reactions: rlk
I would not have made them do this. I merely told them what my son wanted, and they offered.
I guess I'm silly than. I would never ask them to find food not on the menu. It would put them in a position to feel like they had to find the food. Taking the good nature and desire to provide good customer service against them. While the employee is running to another restaurant to find your special food someone else has to do 2 people's job at the restaurant.
I check menus and go where there is food that will work with my groups meal needs.

I guess I'm silly than. I would never ask them to find food not on the menu. It would put them in a position to feel like they had to find the food. Taking the good nature and desire to provide good customer service against them. While the employee is running to another restaurant to find your special food someone else has to do 2 people's job at the restaurant.
I check menus and go where there is food that will work with my groups meal needs.

Disneyland has less places to eat than WDW, so it was harder for our son to find the chicken nuggets and fries he would enjoy. I will just check menus before I got to WDW.

That’s not always possible for certain needs in a place with limited restaurants. If the restaurant offers, then the op would not have any reason to believe that it’s a big deal. Perhaps she said something like oh he’s not going to eat anything b/c he only eats nuggets & they offered to provide them? I’ve said that for Ds (3) before & we just feed him before or after sit down dining b/c he won’t eat much there. I’ve had servers try to offer all kinds of things. We don’t ever take them up on it b/c usually DS has already eaten. But, I would I assume if they offered then it’s not a huge imposition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter