DIS Shareholders and Stock Info ONLY

Disagree. Here is 5 reasons why

1. Revenues up in parks ONLY because of line fees - something that is becoming universally detested by diehards and regular casuals. So what would it be if they didn’t have paid fastpsss? That’s not “growth” at all and it’s not sustainable
2. More bad sequels that dilute what they peddle.
3. Layoffs across the board. You might get a temp Wall Street bump but it’s not a sign of company strength/growth.
4. Any reduction in capex based on Disneys ledger can only be viewed as a red flag. Amusement assets stagnate/decay. That’s the deal with them if you don’t think one step ahead.
5. The D+ subscriber numbers are worrisome. So how you gonna make trillions? Charge more every month for that.
Okay ...good points. However, Parks are up -Parks represent 30% of their overall business. I agree with you on the sequels -but many fans want them and the production was definitely hampered by the pandemic ..whether it hurt quality who knows. Wall Street loves the layoffs, naturally, because they see it as not just profit growth but it shows someone's eyes are on the books and they're running a tight ship with no fat. With the expenditures, I mean ...they've invested pretty heavily -Tron, Epcot, Guardians, Galaxy's Edge(not too long ago). D+ is a long game ..I feel like Iger has his eyes on the future and a lot of the competitors in this market don't have the assets D+ has -it isn't going anywhere. D+ wasn't projected for profitability for 5-years, it's barely 3-years old ...which is why I laughed at all the talk about how it's losses were weighing them down. D+ will be one of THE leaders in streaming over the next 10-years and Iger KNOWS it ..he's holding a great hand and hasn't used half of it yet!

I'm just watching a recording of Squawk when Peltz called in to say he was dropping the fight - FYI, he's up 20%+ on his billion dollar investment, so I think he is very happy.

Our "friend", Jim Cramer, got that exclusive interview and, going to commercial on a hot mic he said, "Jesus, that was great" 😁

Disagree. Here is 5 reasons why

1. Revenues up in parks ONLY because of line fees - something that is becoming universally detested by diehards and regular casuals. So what would it be if they didn’t have paid fastpsss? That’s not “growth” at all and it’s not sustainable
2. More bad sequels that dilute what they peddle.
3. Layoffs across the board. You might get a temp Wall Street bump but it’s not a sign of company strength/growth.
4. Any reduction in capex based on Disneys ledger can only be viewed as a red flag. Amusement assets stagnate/decay. That’s the deal with them if you don’t think one step ahead.
5. The D+ subscriber numbers are worrisome. So how you gonna make trillions? Charge more every month for that.
I cannot find any flaws in your arguments. DIS still has lots of work to do, imo. It is beyond stupid to starve the very segment of the company that consistently makes a lot of high margin money, and waste it on tv programming.

In my mind, this licensing idea would only make sense if they were to sell their stake in Hulu - bring in $20-30B, wipe out a bunch of debt and reinstate the dividend, and then license all content that does not fit in the family orientated D+, Marvel, or Lucus (and those fees help fund the ongoing D+ spend). That non-core content might not be worth much individually but there would be a lot of it from Fox and Disney studios. Other streamers are always looking for additional contant at a reasonable cost rather than the expense of making their own. Now, if they keep Hulu, everything should just be put on there, I don't see any sense in letting competitors have it.
So far, my idea looks a little less far fetched after the Iger interview today. He really likes their very strong family/children's niche and likes general entertainment much less.

As for that licensing article a few days ago, it seems that the reality is less about the library and more new productions being sold off to the highest bidder. Rather than Fox studios making everything for a Disney owned network or streamer, they would go to CBS, NBS, Netflix, etc. Back to the future, like so much of this.

It has to be a balance between revenue and customer satisfaction ...if you jam the parks with every customer that wants to be there more people have a bad experience. More people with bad experiences go on discussion boards and promote the lousy time they had. Business 101.......
Business 201: When you're selling all you make of a product that is extremely profitable, and there is demand for still more, you increase production. In other words, add more gates and more experiences to meet the demand.

Business 201: When you're selling all you make of a product that is extremely profitable, and there is demand for still more, you increase production. In other words, add more gates and more experiences to meet the demand.
Disney lost that magic wand when they removed it from Spaceship Earth in 2007! But the real problem they're up against is a serious labor shortage ...more parks mean, more rooms, more transportation, etc. Unemployment is at it's lowest point in 50-years ...drive by the Disney Casting building -they have help wanted signs out by the road! They couldn't expand if they wanted to. Pretty soon we're going to start getting into MBA stuff so I'm gonna stop right here 😉

After reviewing the numbers and digesting the call, i like where the company is headed for the most part. I like that the dividend is looking to come back by the end of the year, but with it being a fraction of what it was, it does not move the needle for me.

DTC

Streaming is the future of the company's media division but still needs to have more oversight as I think they are spending to much on content. Q1 2022 production and programming costs for Disney Plus were $920M and now one year later Q1 2023 costs were $1.68B. There really is not a need for that type of increase in a year and Iger looks to be addressing this. We see overall SG&A expenses dropped over $500M from last quarter and just over $100M from last year.

The subscriber gain for core Disney plus could have been bigger but a gain is a gain and they have stated that we should be seeing larger gains in the back half of the year, so we will see how that goes.

My one worry is ARPU just keeps dropping in the U.S. It peaked in Q4 of 2021 at $6.81 and is now sitting at $5.95 after 5 straight quarters of decline. This is one metric that needs to be going up. This quarter only had a few weeks of the latest price hike but they really need to be getting ARPU much higher.

With mentions of licensing content, Hulu could and probably should be sold off. This would free up a lot of content, especially adult content that could be licensed out, like FX. On top of getting some funds from the sale, they would save money not having to but out the remaining share of it. I use Hulu mostly for next day watching of live shows and they could easily integrate ABC shows into Disney Plus like this like peacock or paramount do.

Linear

Disappointing results for linear overall but with advertising softening, this was not unexpected. ESPN reporting on its own is weird to me as it has never been the case. I am interested as to why this is needed and my only speculation was to show potential buyers more transparency in the numbers but Iger tossed that theory to side during the call. I would still like them to at least shop around ESPN and see what it could fetch. Sports is certainly a big business but it does not have any integration with the rest of Disney. Let someone else deal with pivoting ESPN to the digital age and bidding against apple and amazon for rights.

PARKS

I think we all want more investments in the park and the decrease in Capex hopefully is the "timing" issue they stated vs an actual decrease in spending. I am fine with the thought that increasing capacity at the parks with new lands or attractions is what they think is better than a 5th gate but we need to start getting announcements of these so called projects. A new Avatar experience was brought up during the call for Disneyland but we need stuff for Disney World. What comes after Moana's journey? What goes into Dinoland? They can keep bringing up the fact that they would rather increase capacity at their current parks but we are going to need actual projects.

Universal is spending what I estimate to be $5-$6B to build Epic Universe. Disney does not need a new park in order to compete with this but there should at least be a new land or rides to open during this time. I am not worried about Epic Universe or Universal taking a huge share away from Disney. Epic Universe will be very popular and packed but they have a lot of work that needs to be done on their other 2 parks that I see more people cutting those parks off a trip vs excluding Disney.

They seemed more confident that attendance will continue to be strong through the year and so I have no worries the parks will continue to rake in the money. People want to come and spend and they look to continue to do so for the foreseeable future.

So far, my idea looks a little less far fetched after the Iger interview today. He really likes their very strong family/children's niche and likes general entertainment much less.

As for that licensing article a few days ago, it seems that the reality is less about the library and more new productions being sold off to the highest bidder. Rather than Fox studios making everything for a Disney owned network or streamer, they would go to CBS, NBS, Netflix, etc. Back to the future, like so much of this.
EXACTLY! The Parks are provided with a constant stream of new guests...why? Because people keep having kids! Iger sees the same opportunity with D+, even beyond what it already offers for every other adult. Does your kid want to watch Toy Story? Sure $10/month....

Disney lost that magic wand when they removed it from Spaceship Earth in 2007! But the real problem they're up against is a serious labor shortage ...more parks mean, more rooms, more transportation, etc. Unemployment is at it's lowest point in 50-years ...drive by the Disney Casting building -they have help wanted signs out by the road! They couldn't expand if they wanted to. Pretty soon we're going to start getting into MBA stuff so I'm gonna stop right here 😉
Ah yes, the labor shortage. How about more pay? But that costs too much money, the argument goes. Yet there's plenty of money to pour down the Hollywood rat-hole for scripts that no one reads, and to produce and air TV shows that no one watches.

And while I'm on the soapbox, I'll tell you about another source for labor. Board up about 3/4 of the offices at parks worldwide, and put those folks in uniform as cast members actually serving guests, or cleaning, or fixing attractions, instead of sitting behind desks circulating memos to each other.

Right, you don't just squeeze more people in the parks, you add more capacity. I'm actually pleasantly surprised they aren't packing them in more! Unfortunately the capacity thing will take decades the way the move.

And while I'm on the soapbox, I'll tell you about another source for labor. Board up about 3/4 of the offices at parks worldwide, and put those folks in uniform as cast members actually serving guests, or cleaning, or fixing attractions, instead of sitting behind desks circulating memos to each other.
I wonder if any of those 7k will come from there? I think most will come from the production side but we shall see.

I feel like everyone overreacts to any news. All we know is that 7000 people have no jobs. Everything else needs time. Personally, I think the dividend $$ are better served staying in house to fund growth/ideas and keeping people employed. But alas, the shareholders are the only ones that matter.

WDW specific park news still feels extremely vague. I want expansions and refurbs to ran down areas... yesterday.

I feel like everyone overreacts to any news. All we know is that 7000 people have no jobs. Everything else needs time. Personally, I think the dividend $$ are better served staying in house to fund growth/ideas and keeping people employed. But alas, the shareholders are the only ones that matter.

WDW specific park news still feels extremely vague. I want expansions and refurbs to ran down areas... yesterday.
If you want new stuff for the parks you will have to visit Tokyo, Paris or Hong Kong. They seem the be getting most of the new things.

Right, you don't just squeeze more people in the parks, you add more capacity. I'm actually pleasantly surprised they aren't packing them in more! Unfortunately the capacity thing will take decades the way the move.
You would be shocked how quickly construction can be done if proper planing and execution is done by qualified people who are allowed to do their jobs.

Disneyland was built 366 calendar days after the project began

Just remember folks, Big Papa Iger said "we just want to grow quality subs that are loyal and where we actually have an ability to continue to price effectively to those subs." There is nothing better than when Big Papa Iger denigrates D+ subscribers and Disney's clients/fans into quality and non-quality subs.

Man, I cannot tell you how badly I wish Bob Chapek had come up with the term "quality subs" when referring to us, the consumer. That DIS Board thread would have been epic in length!

• Haha
Reactions: GAN
If you want new stuff for the parks you will have to visit Tokyo, Paris or Hong Kong. They seem the be getting most of the new things.
Walt Disney World will have added 8 attractions in the last 7 years once Tron opens. Also will have rethemed 3 additional attractions over an 8 year period once the Splash retheme opens.

You would be shocked how quickly construction can be done if proper planing and execution is done by qualified people who are allowed to do their jobs.

Disneyland was built 366 calendar days after the project began
Oh, I know...I am just sick of looking at walls at Wallcot for what seems like many many years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Walt Disney World will have added 8 attractions in the last 7 years once Tron opens. Also will have rethemed 3 additional attractions over an 8 year period once the Splash retheme opens.
That does not look bad when you lay it out all in one place. Also those 7 years would include an entire new land, SWGE, and probably a few other things we are missing in the parks and on the hotel and Springs side of things. Capx has hardly been stingy the last decade. No it's not a new gate but it is something significant.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter