Dis Old Fogies Clubhouse – Six of One, Half Dozen of the Other. Makes No Difference!

:sad1: Hugs, LegoMom3! That stinks! Enjoy your DLR trip.

We're also having internet issues. Had the guy out yesterday and this time, they actually sent someone out who uses his brain and doesn't just swap out equipment and blame user errors! He replaced couplers and got our cable and on demand back up and running better than before his visit. Cudos to Chris! It's better than it's been in years! Internet and wi-fi, not so much. We're swapping out the router tomorrow and crossing our fingers that will get us back up and running 24/7. The internet/wi-fi outages are intermittent, and worse in the late afternoon. And I'm self employed and work from home! :headache:

I'm accumulating the few items we'll need before DH's family reunion in WY in July. We usually do gifts of some sort. Our gift this time will be family photographs courtesy of me. I take candid and group photos during the trip, but this year, I'm taking posed shots. They don't know it yet, but I'm planning to get some fun shots and Photoshop in some props, like having a t-rex chasing us and having families riding a polar bear. I'm thinking of having us waiting for the train too. These are in the same style as the Disney photographs where they ask you to post in a certain way then add in a character or two to the final photo. Wish me luck! Taking photos of family is worse than taking photos of clients. :rolleyes1

Wow, what a great idea! I wish I had that sort of know-how. I'm solid enough at photography, but after that, only basic "enhancement" techniques.

My oldest DS just moved to WY! He's in the Grand Tetons for the summer, working at a lodge, then hopes to transition to the ski industry for winter (he has lots of experience with that).

Summer has officially arrived in the Midwest, with these temps in the mid 90s, I always feel like I'm melting! Why is it that temps over 100 in Disney are ok to walk around in but in the 90s and I just don't want to even get in my air conditioned car, because I have to walk outside wherever I end up parking! LOL

IKR?!.....seems just about anything is tolerable there, but it is, after all, Disney!! :beach::love:

One fall out of it is that my DS18 will be heading back to NH in about a month. At least for the summer, longer if he can work it out.

I'm sorry that your DS is leaving. Does this mean you and your DH may go back too?

Summer has officially arrived in the Midwest

Ugh, I was there for the last week. I can't believe that it's even going to get worse!

I'm sorry that your DS is leaving. Does this mean you and your DH may go back too?

Eventually. Although "back" for us is pretty open-ended in terms of exactly where we go. We had already been discussing how long we thought we'd stay here (we always agreed we'd give it a solid two years, which will be next winter). After what has happened with my son, I just cannot stay here and work in this environment. It's not the camp as a whole -- it's a great place and does a lot of great things -- it's one person in particular but it's the one person who it really matters if we get along. Right now I'm just trying to keep under the radar, so to speak. My immediate boss is great so I still enjoy my job. But, the damage has been done. And, the bottom line for us is, really, the "bottom line." We have an emergency savings but it's not nearly enough to move clear back to the east coast if we end up opting for that! So, gotta save $$ before we do anything.

I've gone through bouts of being homesick on and off since coming here, which is normal, but lately due to all the hoopla I've been feeling it worse, and today it really hit home with the news that my cousin lost her only son last night after a very quick and sudden illness. He was only 29 and engaged to be married in September.....I have no words for that sort of loss, but I'm missing family and so wish I could just hop in the car and drive to see her. :sad1:

Is it December yet? I am ready to go on vacation! We went camping for the long weekend and I seriously feel like I needed a lot more than 5 days away!!

Summer has officially arrived in the Midwest, with these temps in the mid 90s, I always feel like I'm melting! Why is it that temps over 100 in Disney are ok to walk around in but in the 90s and I just don't want to even get in my air conditioned car, because I have to walk outside wherever I end up parking! LOL
It's Disney! You duck into rides, shops, and other places with air conditioning to cool down, then go back out into the heat to get to the next cool place. I've gone to running errands early, before the heat hits us too hard, then staying in for the rest of the day until it cools down again.

Wow, what a great idea! I wish I had that sort of know-how. I'm solid enough at photography, but after that, only basic "enhancement" techniques.

My oldest DS just moved to WY! He's in the Grand Tetons for the summer, working at a lodge, then hopes to transition to the ski industry for winter (he has lots of experience with that).
We'll be in southern WY, almost at the CO border. It's so gorgeous there. The Grand Tetons is another gorgeous area.

Eventually. Although "back" for us is pretty open-ended in terms of exactly where we go. We had already been discussing how long we thought we'd stay here (we always agreed we'd give it a solid two years, which will be next winter). After what has happened with my son, I just cannot stay here and work in this environment. ... We have an emergency savings but it's not nearly enough to move clear back to the east coast if we end up opting for that! So, gotta save $$ before we do anything.

I've gone through bouts of being homesick on and off since coming here, which is normal, but lately due to all the hoopla I've been feeling it worse, and today it really hit home with the news that my cousin lost her only son last night after a very quick and sudden illness. He was only 29 and engaged to be married in September.....I have no words for that sort of loss, but I'm missing family and so wish I could just hop in the car and drive to see her. :sad1:

:hug: I'm so sorry about your cousin. It's so hard to be away when something like this happens. :sad1:

I'm praying that thing settle down with that one person (it only takes that one!) until y'all can find another place. Sending you prayers, pixie dust, and support!

You're a better photographer than you think you are!

I took some film photography classes in college, then put my camera down for a few years. DH gave me a good entry level DSLR about 10 years ago and upgraded it for me last year. I can use my Mom's lenses with both cameras, which is awesome. I've been working on photography seriously for over six years, taking in person and online classes, going on group shoots, participating in photography groups and getting critiques, which are never easy, but tell me what I need to improve upon and give me ideas I might not have had by myself. I've taken photos of the family before, but never like the ones I have planned.

I'm so sorry to hear this LegoMom, my deepest sympathies to you and your family.

It's a gloomy day in the Midwest today and I must say it's making me lazy! I have put off my errands for 2 hours in favor of sitting in the chair and reading....

Hey kimmar! How are things in Jersey these days?

HAHAHAHAHA!!!! For me it's a dream day....for the house and the husband and children.....well!! Gloomy days are my favorites for reading and I always want to cancel everything and take advantage! LOL

I have become a reading fiend!! :rotfl: I mean, I have always loved to read, but two things happened on June 1st totally by coincidence that have spurred me on to new levels: I happened to go to the library for the first time in a while (had been reading stuff on my Nook) and it happened to be the first day of their summer reading program. The librarian asked me if I wanted to sign up, "...since I read so much?" Yes. Yes I did. ::yes:: Also on that day, we had our DISH tv service put on pause for the summer. So, without that distraction, I am now reading every free moment I have.

It's a gloomy day in the Midwest today and I must say it's making me lazy! I have put off my errands for 2 hours in favor of sitting in the chair and reading....
Sitting and reading ... sounds like a wonderful plan to me!

:wave: What projects are you working on this summer?

I have become a reading fiend!! :rotfl: I mean, I have always loved to read, but two things happened on June 1st totally by coincidence that have spurred me on to new levels: I happened to go to the library for the first time in a while (had been reading stuff on my Nook) and it happened to be the first day of their summer reading program. The librarian asked me if I wanted to sign up, "...since I read so much?" Yes. Yes I did. ::yes:: Also on that day, we had our DISH tv service put on pause for the summer. So, without that distraction, I am now reading every free moment I have.

Wow! Our summer reading program is for K3 - 12. Nothing for adults. I've been loading e-books onto my e-reader in preparation for our Colorado/Wyoming trip in a few weeks. I'll take a real book or two with me. Decisions, decisions. I pick up books in like-new condition at estate sales and thrift stores. I stashed some away just for the trip. But there are a few newly released books that I want to read. If I'm patient, they'll show up at the thrift store in a few weeks. My cheque book will be happier if I'm patient. :scratchin

Wow! Our summer reading program is for K3 - 12. Nothing for adults. I've been loading e-books onto my e-reader in preparation for our Colorado/Wyoming trip in a few weeks. I'll take a real book or two with me. Decisions, decisions. I pick up books in like-new condition at estate sales and thrift stores. I stashed some away just for the trip. But there are a few newly released books that I want to read. If I'm patient, they'll show up at the thrift store in a few weeks. My cheque book will be happier if I'm patient. :scratchin

I like to go back and forth between my Nook and a paper book. Believe it or not, the last time I flew I only brought a little paperback I'd picked up because security now (at least here in San Diego?) requires you to take out ANY electronic device that is larger than a cell phone....! I just want to pass my bag through and only worry about removing my shoes. Anyway, yes, our library has an adult version of the summer reading program and you should see some of the prizes!! I'm pretty sure I saw a Keurig coffee brewer and a Cuisinart mixer or something, among other stuff. Our branch library is very small (small town) but it's part of the HUGE San Diego County system, so I would guess that's why they can offer all that.

Today I feel like a kid set loose in a candy store with $100..... our Internet is actually working!!! (my post yesterday was a fluke....it came on for a very brief period and then *poof*). I'm doing all sorts of stuff I haven't done in over a week. Amazing how much you realize you depend on the system! Part of my browsing is getting ready for my next Florida trip, to see my dad first and foremost but I'm also hoping to stick a day at WDW on the end again, like I did in April! So far I've got my flight down, booked with Southwest points, and I've reserved my rental car. Next up will be booking my return flight from Orlando, then a hotel, and lastly when I'm sure it'll work out, I'll buy my park ticket. Going with the ol' Hopper this time. Last trip I spent the entire day in Epcot, which was what I wanted. This time I"d like to spend the bulk of the day in Animal Kingdom, then Magic Kingdom in the evening.

security now (at least here in San Diego?) requires you to take out ANY electronic device that is larger than a cell phone....!

TSA Pre Chek. The best thing that I signed up for! No more removing shoes, lap tops and all that jazz! I love it. We did get "stopped" by security on our last flight. They had to examine Fran's bag. I had packed sandwiches for us and they couldn't identify what there were on the scanner! :lmao:

TSA Pre Chek. The best thing that I signed up for! No more removing shoes, lap tops and all that jazz! I love it. We did get "stopped" by security on our last flight. They had to examine Fran's bag. I had packed sandwiches for us and they couldn't identify what there were on the scanner! :lmao:

You should have seen them on my last trip when I had a [n unopened] jigsaw puzzle in my bag!! NO clue what that was on the image, so my bag got a thorough going-through. :rolleyes1

You should have seen them on my last trip when I had a [n unopened] jigsaw puzzle in my bag!! NO clue what that was on the image, so my bag got a thorough going-through. :rolleyes1

I love TSA Pre Check. Unfortunately, the Pre Check line merges with the regular line at my little podunk airport. And as I always carry a camera (or two) with multiple lenses, my camera bag is always opened. Small airport that only really gets busy one week a year, but they should be used to scanning camera bags. One of my friends regularly flies out of there and always has at least one camera with multiple lenses. They check his camera bag every time. Coming home, I usually fly out of a larger airport with a real TSA Pre Check line and breeze through.

Which reminds me that the camera bag I'm taking with me to Wyoming needs to take a trip to the cobbler this week to get the straps reinforced. Someone keeps overloading it!:rolleyes1

Another time, they stopped me at our local airport and took out my empty water bottle, informing me that I couldn't take liquids in that size bottle through the scanner. One of them took it to the bathroom to empty it, only to come back shaking his head. It was already empty. :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter