Dis Exclusive July Backstage Magic Adventure 7/6-7/11 Sold Out

Please WELCOME Tom and Margaret to the Adventure!

:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

Hi there, I am the Tom part of this trip. This is a dream trip because I love Disney. My mom is joining us. This is both of our first Adventure by Disney experiences, so I'm really looking forward to it.

Hi Tom and Margret! Looks like you two pushed us in to "sold out" status. I feel so exclusive ;) I won;t be adding on any days at the GCH. It's hard to justify when my apartment is 20 mins away. I'll have no problems heading to the parks though!

Melissa

Kathy and I are planing on staying Friday and Saturday nights. Biting the bullet on the GCH prices. At least it keeps the ABD airport transfers in place!

The more we talked about it, the more we think we're changing to coming in a day early to Hollywood and staying one extra night in the GCH.

There is a lot to do in Hollywood. Our hotel is rather close to the Hollywood Bowl. I am arriving on Friday and since its the Fourth, there will probably be a special concert that night. Alicia and I had started talking about heading there that night. I missed a couple of things there last time. The burgers at the Roosevelt Hotel are a must for me this time.

As far as the extra days at DLR, I just really need more time there because I don't know the park well enough. Last time I missed the parade and fireworks due to not feeling well. I slept thru both of them. Definitely don't want to do that again.

And as long as we stay with our reservations made thru Dreams at Loews and GC, and have purchased the insurance (for this type of trip that is prepaid I don't travel without it) all of it is covered by the insurance. I just wish my knee wasn't telling me the trip will be in an ECV when I'm at DLR again.

Kim

I plan to come in the day before again. The rates at The Loews for adding additional days have really increased a lot compared to this year....According to the quote I got ($409 through ABD), so I will have to decide whether it's worth it to me to stay there the night before. Probably will end up doing that anyway, though. And, yes, I know the issue around ABD transportation from the airport.

Will probably do it before trip instead of after. It's still a lot of money though even with tax and transfers inclusive.

I am an obsessive planner. Know anyone else like that? :rotfl2: Anyway, I've been looking at the menus for the different restaurants. Trying to decide where I want to eat. 10 months from now. Too many places, too little time. Anyone have any early thoughts?

Kim

Our hits include; Napa Rose, Steakhouse 55, Cathay Circle.

I am an obsessive planner. Know anyone else like that? :rotfl2: Anyway, I've been looking at the menus for the different restaurants. Trying to decide where I want to eat. 10 months from now. Too many places, too little time. Anyone have any early thoughts?

Kim

Me!!!! I'm doing the BSM tour this October and then, of course, this one in July 2014. Crazy over-planner!! That's why I have a DL Halloween party ticket for one of my post-tour days this October which I got in July. Now, this weekend, I got a letter from ABD saying that my October BSM tour is going to include the party since DL is closed on the first night of the DL part of the tour! Now, I've got an extra ticket (which I got discounted) for another night and don't think I want to do the party twice.

I've got dining reservations for most post-tour meals. If I decide differently, I will cancel. I think it's partly because many of us are also used to WDW and dining reservations opening up 180 to 190 days before the trip! Oh yeah, I've got Napa Rose, Carthay Circle, Blue Bayou, Cafe Orleans, Steakhouse 55, Plaza, and Carnation Cafe.

For my July trip, I've already decided what I'm doing after the tour. A day later, I want to go up to Yosemite......that is, as long as things are OK up there.

Planning is part of the journey and makes me feel kind of like I'm on vacation when I'm doing it!

I'm planning on a day or so before and staying the weekend after. It's my first time in Southern California and at DLR so I really want to maximize the opportunity!

Obsessive planner here a.k.a Kim. Right now I'm obsessing over the flight. Last time I took Southwest, just one connection. Early morning flight got me to LA before noon. Not bad. But I was thinking about getting a non stop. There are none out of Pittsburgh early in the day. Only evening. They get into LA mid evening. None are Southwest. So the possibility of paying for a first class upgrade is there. Of course judging by current rates it is a bit higher. And I would need another night in the hotel. An expensive alternative to making a stop, but the lure of first class on a six hour flight is so tempting. I have to look at the budget. I really need to hit the Powerball. Then I wouldn't have to worry about finances. :rotfl:

Kim

I have been looking at flights as well, although we only have a 2 hour flight to tackle rather than 6 hours, Kim. :) It is more expensive to fly in and out of LAX for us (coming from Portland, OR) so that's a bit of a bummer. Plus it's quite a bit longer to get from DLR to LAX for the flight home. We'll be so much closer to Orange County/John Wayne and Long Beach airports once we're at DLR. Decisions, decisions...

While we were at DLR a few weeks ago we tried Carthay Circle for lunch as a walk up. There was no problem getting a table for 4 and the service was excellent. My BFF and my DD's BFF joined us and everyone really liked it. It was not very busy so it was a nice quiet atmosphere for lunch. It is, of course, expensive but the food is very tasty. We all really loved the cheddar jalapeno biscuits as I have seen other DISer's also enjoyed. I know DD and I will be happy to eat here again.

I've been looking thru Kayak and everything I'm finding is going to LAX. Still debating when I come home. Thinking about spending the last night at the airport and take an early flight home. West to East takes all day. East to west is so much shorter with the time change. And the latest flight out of LAX is only 2 or so. No time to do anything, really. So many things to do do little time.

Kim

I have been looking at flights and fear I'm going to be flying out of Reagan national to get there. Flights now are $150 more expensive out of BwI and over $500. They should go down after Southwest puts flights out in February.

Like other posters, I'm thinking about booking my flights and have a couple of questions. This is my first ABD trip, so I'm still trying to figure out all the ins and outs of how things work.

1. I know that I'm supposed to arrive no later than 1 pm on the first day of the trip. I'm flying from San Francisco to LAX and am tempted to fly SFO-LAX that morning. What happens if my flight is delayed or cancelled and I wind up getting to LAX after 1 pm? I could always fly down the day before and stay in a hotel somewhere, but I'm trying to keep costs down as much as possible -- or more accurately, I'm trying to economize as much as possible to maximize my shopping budget at Mickey's of Glendale. :goodvibes

2. How exhausted are folks at the end of the trip? I'm thinking of staying through the weekend after the trip, but if I'm incredibly tired, I might be better off just flying home and crashing. After Podcast Cruise 3.0, I was jealous of all the folks I met who were headed to WDW afterwards, but I was so tired that I would probably have slept through at least the first day. (As it was, I slept on the shuttle to MCO, napped in the airport, and then slept through the cross-country flight back home.)

Many thanks,
Dave

Trips like this, I like to arrive the day before (at least.) since I'm from the East Coast, sort of, I'm coming in a couple days early. Hopefully there will be a good performer at the Hollywood bowl for the Fourth.

I will say this is a tiring trip. Again as someone who has only been to DLR once, I'm planning on 3 or 4 extra days. I didn't get enough extra time last year. I want to learn as much as I can about DLR. I don't think I'll be back for a whole.

Kim

I'll be coming in at least the day before, too. But, I'm coming from Chicago and we "tend" to be weather challenged so I don't like to take the chance of a delay. Plus, it's good to get settled.

Planning to stay overnight at least one night after the tour and then either go up to Yosemite or stay a few extra nights at DLR. It kind of depends on what I feel I need to do after my BSM tour in 3 weeks :-)cool1:)

I have a lot of plans for things to do during my 4 day stay at DLR after this October's BSM tour, so I'm probably going to barely be able to move when I get back home. And, I will only have about 10 hours when I get back home before I have to go back to work! :eek::rolleyes::scared:

I was checking flights for next July today and the prices have gone down more recently from where I'm coming from.

Like other posters, I'm thinking about booking my flights and have a couple of questions. This is my first ABD trip, so I'm still trying to figure out all the ins and outs of how things work.

1. I know that I'm supposed to arrive no later than 1 pm on the first day of the trip. I'm flying from San Francisco to LAX and am tempted to fly SFO-LAX that morning. What happens if my flight is delayed or cancelled and I wind up getting to LAX after 1 pm? I could always fly down the day before and stay in a hotel somewhere, but I'm trying to keep costs down as much as possible -- or more accurately, I'm trying to economize as much as possible to maximize my shopping budget at Mickey's of Glendale. :goodvibes

2. How exhausted are folks at the end of the trip? I'm thinking of staying through the weekend after the trip, but if I'm incredibly tired, I might be better off just flying home and crashing. After Podcast Cruise 3.0, I was jealous of all the folks I met who were headed to WDW afterwards, but I was so tired that I would probably have slept through at least the first day. (As it was, I slept on the shuttle to MCO, napped in the airport, and then slept through the cross-country flight back home.)

Many thanks,
Dave

I fly to Southern California at least twice a year, frequently 3-4 times, from Portland, OR for the last 20 years. It is about a 2 hour flight and I have only been severely delayed once due to ice in Portland during the winter. Coming from San Francisco should be short and sweet. I am planning on an early flight into LAX the morning of the 6th so that I don't have to spend money on the hotel for a night before our ABD. Since you're not coming from the east coast I think flying in the day of is totally doable. I have been many times to LA/Hollywood and don't have the urge to explore like many others do so having a preday is not important to DD and I. If this is a once in a lifetime thing you may feel differently.

This year DD and I have AP's to DLR so we are making the most of them by visiting DLR often, culminating in this ABD trip. This is why we want to stay after our ABD as it will be the last we will use our AP's before they expire. This itinerary looks pretty busy and reading trip reports I expect it will be tiring.

I fly to Southern California at least twice a year, frequently 3-4 times, from Portland, OR for the last 20 years. It is about a 2 hour flight and I have only been severely delayed once due to ice in Portland during the winter. Coming from San Francisco should be short and sweet. I am planning on an early flight into LAX the morning of the 6th so that I don't have to spend money on the hotel for a night before our ABD. Since you're not coming from the east coast I think flying in the day of is totally doable. I have been many times to LA/Hollywood and don't have the urge to explore like many others do so having a preday is not important to DD and I. If this is a once in a lifetime thing you may feel differently.

This year DD and I have AP's to DLR so we are making the most of them by visiting DLR often, culminating in this ABD trip. This is why we want to stay after our ABD as it will be the last we will use our AP's before they expire. This itinerary looks pretty busy and reading trip reports I expect it will be tiring.

I'm also flying out of PDX, and I suggest looking at Virgin America. Great fares, new comfy planes. I used Virgin America for my 2012 BSM ABD, and the transfers from LAX were included.

Alicia

I''ve been looking at Virgin America. Is there a downside to using Orbits to book? Pricing is a lot better, but I'm leery about not booking directly with the airline.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter