DIS DVC 1000 Point Club (post #1 updated 02/10/2023)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have to ask, how many of you finance your purchases?
And do you use the points exclusively for personal use or do you rent some of the points out annually?
We currently have 450 (200 BCV Direct and 250 VGF resale) both purchased within the last month.
And within the next year I’ll be looking to add another 225 PVB, 200 BLT, and a 200 SSR (all resale) which would put us over 1000.
For us some temporarily financed and we plan on using these points for our own vacations. No intention on renting points.

None of our purchases, resale or direct have been financed. This isn’t to say we would not consider doing so under the right circumstances.

I would say we use our points almost exclusively for personal use. We have rented out some of our points a handful of times over the years. A couple of times have been for friends to use. We rented out once to David’s so we could subsidize paying for a stay at the MiraCosta in Tokyo Disney Sea. I’d do that again in a heartbeat.

And do you use the points exclusively for personal use or do you rent some of the points out annually?
We currently have 450 (200 BCV Direct and 250 VGF resale) both purchased within the last month.
And within the next year I’ll be looking to add another 225 PVB, 200 BLT, and a 200 SSR (all resale) which would put us over 1000.
For us some temporarily financed and we plan on using these points for our own vacations. No intention on renting points.

We didn’t finance any of our points. We have a mix of direct and resale points across 5 home resorts. We primarily use our points for our family, but occasionally have brought other family/friends along. We haven’t rented and don’t plan to. We get 1BR or 2BR villas with an occasional GV, so we can definitely use the points up in a normal year especially with trips to DLR and WDW (and also plan on Aulani since we’re in CA). I think we have enough now… unless DLT is really appealing.

The second home view is pretty much how I look at it. Before committing to DVC, we looked at a potential second home in the area. But once you factor in all of the carrying costs associated with a second property for just a few weeks of use annually, DVC was actually the cheaper and most useful option. At this point our thought is just for personal use but I’ve been reading a lot about high point holders renting out points to cover the maintenance fees which actually is a good idea at the high demand resorts that will maintain their long term value.
"Ditto That"!
We use our 665 Points for our 2nd-Home scenario, also.
We "SnowBird" each year to avoid Winter in the Mid-Atlantic region, and we found DVC to be a better alternative than buying a place that we would only use 2 months per year, just as DisDad stated, above. It's 'hassle-free" compared to having a property manager, paying annual property taxes, carrying insurance, etc..... And, based on current demand and resale prices, we could get out quickly if we needed to, and potentially come out ahead financially.
In the interim, we plan to maximize our usage. We had >4 weeks in Studios in 2021, and we have 7 weeks booked for 2022.
We took advantage of the Covid-Price-Dip last year, and added on before the prices rebounded.
OH - and we financed our original purchase of Direct points in 2011, but only for 1 month at prevailing market rates, before using our HELOC to cover the balance. All of our Resale add-ons have been cash purchases. We did add on a small amount "Direct", a few years ago, and took advantage of free-financing for 6-months on our Disney Visa, plus the CC Points.

We paid cash (credit card) for all of our purchases, though we did take advantage of the 6-9 month 0% financing and 2% back with the Disney Visa.

We mostly use for personal use, and intend when we retire to use it to snowbird part of the winter in WDW. However, we have and do rent out some points from time to time when we aren’t going to use them and/or to offset MFs. For example, we rented out points we had banked for a big family trip we postponed due to Covid.

Update to 3220 points. Thanks.
So happy to not pay your dues bill each year. :)
We have about 400 points in 2 contracts and for us that is enough. For those who want more, I understand and hope you enjoy multiple trips. For us, 2 trips a year is enough.

That’s one way to look at it. The other way is how much it would have cost to book the same rooms from Disney. I prefer the second way. :)
We don't go frequently enough to be able to use 1000 points a year is actually the main reason for us to not join the 1000 point club.

Up to 1,365 as of Friday. I’m shuffling things around so I will probably be on a downward trend next year…

Wow! I am super jealous! I am having a hard time getting hubby to let me buy an initial 150 points! Eventually I know he will but I am really having to sell it to him. How do you all do it if you have a spouse that is not a complete Disney person like you are (well other than buying behind their back, which trust me I have thought about :))?

While I'm still waiting for my closed resale contracts to appear, I will be at 1896 as soon as they do.

I have one more in ROFR, but I'm fully expecting that one to be taken.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter