Dis / Dreams Viking Sea Cruise around Italy 3/24 - 3/31/2018

Just another plug to check back if something you want is sold out. My mother wanted to get on the Sicilian Walk Through Rustic Villages tour. It's been sold out for a while but it looks like they just added another time slot, so I was able to get it for her.

Good luck!

Was this after everyone's booking times had opened? If I am understanding this correctly there is no way to "link" reservations so each stateroom which has a max of 2 people has to make its own reservation and you can only make reservations for 2 at two tops. Maybe people can call Viking and say they are willing to sit with strangers and coordinate times with other people? I can understand not getting 103 people at one table but 3? If you can't book one reservation for 4 people why have 4 tops since you can't reserve the table? The entire ship is reservations for 2. If I remember correctly each stateroom needed its own reservation even if you were a family of 4 in two rooms.

You're right we are a bunch of "well trained/abused" travelers who probably overwhelmed the reservation system.

My husband spent forever on the phone trying to get a 4 top for us and @TheMaxRebo and even with their reservation number on hand, the best we could do was get a reservation at a 4 top with another couple. We could not specify a couple to share the table with, so it will be randomly assigned I guess. It doesn’t make much sense to me that if we have 2 other people we’d like to share a 4 top with and they have plenty of them available, why can’t we book a table for the 4 of us?!

Bruce and I might be up for this! I think our food tour is on Friday night the 23rd, so we should be free the evening of the 22nd. The bigger question is....how bad will our jet lag be (we arrive that morning)!??

I arrive the morning of the 22nd and would be up for this... just as long as it’s not too late. Last time I conked out pretty early after a red eye flight

My husband spent forever on the phone trying to get a 4 top for us and @TheMaxRebo and even with their reservation number on hand, the best we could do was get a reservation at a 4 top with another couple. We could not specify a couple to share the table with, so it will be randomly assigned I guess. It doesn’t make much sense to me that if we have 2 other people we’d like to share a 4 top with and they have plenty of them available, why can’t we book a table for the 4 of us?!

My parents cruised with another 2 couples for 20 years so, although we are a large group of uber planners, groups traveling together is nothing new to cruising.

My parents cruised with another 2 couples for 20 years so, although we are a large group of uber planners, groups traveling together is nothing new to cruising.

It is very new to Viking Ocean.

They are a fairly new cruise line and
we are the largest group ever booked and this has them a bit off balance.

They have said they will work with us for once on board.

It is very new to Viking Ocean.

They are a fairly new cruise line and
we are the largest group ever booked and this has them a bit off balance.

They have said they will work with us for once on board.

Also, all this angst is just about their 2 Specialty restaurants

The Main Restaurant has open seating every night of the cruise.

If 2,4 or 6 people approach the podium, you’ll be able to be seated together. There may be a slight wait, as there is with any My Time Dining venue, but what are we in a hurry for anyway.

I myself am looking forward to every minute on this cruise, not just 2 hours a couple nights in a restaurant

Just MHO

Also, all this angst is just about their 2 Specialty restaurants

The Main Restaurant has open seating every night of the cruise.

If 2,4 or 6 people approach the podium, you’ll be able to be seated together. There may be a slight wait, as there is with any My Time Dining venue, but what are we in a hurry for anyway.

I myself am looking forward to every minute on this cruise, not just 2 hours a couple nights in a restaurant

Just MHO

Agreed. The food in the Main Restaurant is supposed to be excellent. Even on the buffet everything is made to order but because of that the food does not come out quickly. I think that is going to be a bit of an adjustment from DCL also. One tip I did read was to skip dessert in the restaurants and go over to the buffet for dessert and coffee. As the night progresses the kitchen gets backed up a bit and getting dessert seemed drag out the longest.

The best part will not having to wait to get the check or having the waiter pick up the CC. My biggest dining pet peeve is being stuck at a table waiting for the check when you need to leave.

I will be cancelling my Ceraudo winery tour for 2 tomorrow at 12:00pm CST in case anyone wants to pick that tour up.

I will be cancelling my Ceraudo winery tour for 2 tomorrow at 12:00pm CST in case anyone wants to pick that tour up.

OK I'll cancel mine also but 11 AM EST. If I am wrong about the time someone let me know. I've already made a few error's trying to convert to a 24 hour clock even though I listen to the BBC World Service in the car and try to calculate it out from GMT, so it will be 3PM GMT.

FYI I will be cancelling my enchanting taormina tour as I will be doing @TheMaxRebo's planned tour with Taormina plus the Gambino winery. I will also be cancelling my Crotone tour: Santa Severina. @Cousin Orville has planned an fun tour that includes wines and towns. I will cancel @ 9am PST tomorrow

Those that have Amazon Prime might want to search for a three-part series "Visions of Italy". Its a beautiful compilation of arial views all over Italy. I recognized several spots we saw on our Viva Italia and Alpine Magic ABD's. Pretty much just wallpaper, but fun to see.

Just wanted to add that his might also be available on other streaming services. It was originally by PBS

Those that have Amazon Prime might want to search for a three-part series "Visions of Italy". Its a beautiful compilation of arial views all over Italy. I recognized several spots we saw on our Viva Italia and Alpine Magic ABD's. Pretty much just wallpaper, but fun to see.
...and to further distract you, there is also a series on France. Val & I did a Viking River cruise along the Seine from Paris to Normandy and back a couple of years ago (with many good friends) and expect to see some familiar sights when we watch this series.

Loved this so much! Thanks for bringing it to my attention!

My husband and I are first time cruisers. Could someone help us out with tipping?

As I understand it, on-board tipping is automatic @ $15/day/guest on your shipboard account, correct? So that's $210/room (or $240/room)?

I'm guessing that these are the folks that we should plan to tip -- note that part of my question is cruise tipping and part of it is "European rules" for tipping:
  • Transport to/from port
  • Porters on embarkation/disembarkation days
  • Guides
  • drivers for tours
  • bartenders on board if we purchase non-included drinks? (looks like 15% is automatically included in the tab here)
What am I missing?

My husband and I are first time cruisers. Could someone help us out with tipping?

As I understand it, on-board tipping is automatic @ $15/day/guest on your shipboard account, correct? So that's $210/room (or $240/room)?

I'm guessing that these are the folks that we should plan to tip -- note that part of my question is cruise tipping and part of it is "European rules" for tipping:
  • Transport to/from port
  • Porters on embarkation/disembarkation days
  • Guides
  • drivers for tours
  • bartenders on board if we purchase non-included drinks? (looks like 15% is automatically included in the tab here)
What am I missing?

Here is Viking's tipping policy:

Our onboard staff is dedicated to providing you with the best cruise experience possible, and it is customary to give gratuities in recognition of service. How much you choose to tip is a personal matter and completely at your discretion. To save you worry over whom to tip and how much, we automatically add a discretionary hotel and dining charge of $15.00 per guest, per day to your shipboard account, which appears on your final invoice at the end of your cruise. This charge will be shared among the onboard staff who helped support and provide your cruise experience, including the waitstaff, stateroom stewards, buffet stewards, galley staff, laundry staff and others. (Please note this charge excludes bar gratuity; a 15% gratuity is automatically added to bar, beverage, wine and deck service tabs.) Should you wish to make changes to the gratuity amounts or pay in cash, just stop by our Explorers’ Desk at any time. You may also wish to tip your local excursion guides or driver; we suggest doing so in cash at the end of each tour.

From Trip Advisor:

In Italy service, which usually ranges from 1 to 3 euros depending on the restaurant, is automatically added to the check and must be visible on the menu. "Coperto," the charge for the tablecloth, silverware, etc., is illegal in Lazio but may be added in other regions.

Normally, just round up the bill, a few Euro. If you were given an outstanding service, a good tip -- 10 euro in cash -- will make the staff happy, but you are not "compelled" to do so.

Tipping cab drivers is unusual, but appreciated -- especially if they help you with your luggage and provide you with useful info about getting around in that particular place.

Tipping hotel porters is appreciated. Same for the hotel concierge if he/she is helpful in making your stay easier or more pleasant.

Here is Viking's tipping policy:

Our onboard staff is dedicated to providing you with the best cruise experience possible, and it is customary to give gratuities in recognition of service. How much you choose to tip is a personal matter and completely at your discretion. To save you worry over whom to tip and how much, we automatically add a discretionary hotel and dining charge of $15.00 per guest, per day to your shipboard account, which appears on your final invoice at the end of your cruise. This charge will be shared among the onboard staff who helped support and provide your cruise experience, including the waitstaff, stateroom stewards, buffet stewards, galley staff, laundry staff and others. (Please note this charge excludes bar gratuity; a 15% gratuity is automatically added to bar, beverage, wine and deck service tabs.) Should you wish to make changes to the gratuity amounts or pay in cash, just stop by our Explorers’ Desk at any time. You may also wish to tip your local excursion guides or driver; we suggest doing so in cash at the end of each tour.

From Trip Advisor:

In Italy service, which usually ranges from 1 to 3 euros depending on the restaurant, is automatically added to the check and must be visible on the menu. "Coperto," the charge for the tablecloth, silverware, etc., is illegal in Lazio but may be added in other regions.

Normally, just round up the bill, a few Euro. If you were given an outstanding service, a good tip -- 10 euro in cash -- will make the staff happy, but you are not "compelled" to do so.

Tipping cab drivers is unusual, but appreciated -- especially if they help you with your luggage and provide you with useful info about getting around in that particular place.

Tipping hotel porters is appreciated. Same for the hotel concierge if he/she is helpful in making your stay easier or more pleasant.

Thanks Kevin, very helpful. Any thoughts on standard/acceptable tip amount for tour guides/drivers?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter