Dis / Dreams Viking Sea Cruise around Italy 3/24 - 3/31/2018

One other place I am thinking of when pre-nighting in Rome: Ostia Antica. Mainly as we will not have time to go to Pompeii when in Naples.

One other place I am thinking of when pre-nighting in Rome: Ostia Antica. Mainly as we will not have time to go to Pompeii when in Naples.

How long are we in Naples? The Pompeii tour is 4hrs. There's also a Herculaneum tour at 3.5hrs.

How long are we in Naples? The Pompeii tour is 4hrs. There's also a Herculaneum tour at 3.5hrs.

For some reason I thought the Pompeii tour was 6-7 hours. We are in Naples from 1200-1800. If the tour is 4 hours is that enough or just a small taste? I also heard Herculaneum is a good experience too. But the question I have is we will need more time there? Will have to do some research.

I also booked 3 nights in Rome, so will have some time to kill :) Very excited to go. Trying to convince my travel buddy to come with...

For some reason I thought the Pompeii tour was 6-7 hours. We are in Naples from 1200-1800. If the tour is 4 hours is that enough or just a small taste? Will have to do some research. I also booked 3 nights in Rome.

yeah, there are a number of tours listed that include Pompeii for a Naples port - but with the specific itinerary we have, going from Rome to Venice, seems like limited time in Naples so not sure which of those (if any) are doable for our specific cruise

The Pompeii (by itself) tour is 4hrs. For comparison, the shortest tour option is 3.5 hrs, and there are only 2 of those (Naples city tour and Herculaneum). It's a total guess, but I predict Viking will offer a Pompeii tour.

If Pompeii is offered, 2.5-3 hrs is plenty of time unless you're seriously into Roman ruins. We went there years ago. It's pretty cool. I'm not sure what we'll do this round.

For some reason I thought the Pompeii tour was 6-7 hours. We are in Naples from 1200-1800. If the tour is 4 hours is that enough or just a small taste? I also heard Herculaneum is a good experience too. But the question I have is we will need more time there? Will have to do some research.

I also booked 3 nights in Rome, so will have some time to kill :) Very excited to go. Trying to convince my travel buddy to come with...

The Pompeii (by itself) tour is 4hrs. For comparison, the shortest tour option is 3.5 hrs, and there are only 2 of those (Naples city tour and Herculaneum). It's a total guess, but I predict Viking will offer a Pompeii tour.

If Pompeii is offered, 2.5-3 hrs is plenty of time unless you're seriously into Roman ruins. We went there years ago. It's pretty cool. I'm not sure what we'll do this round.

A number of years ago we did a trip to Sorento and during that, instead of Pompeii we went to Herculaneum, which is similar, but smaller and better preserved so you can see more of what life was really like. We definitely enjoyed it

It is also closer to Naples - it is one of the shorter excursions listed on Vikings page so that could be an alternative if not enough time for full on Pompeii

:yay: Hello everyone....thought I would take a moment to tell you a little about Gene and I (Bobbi). We are from Northeastern Wisconsin, about 20 miles from Green Bay. We have been DVC members since 1998 and have visited WDW, Disneyland, Hilton Head, Vero Beach, Aulani and done a few Disney Cruises. We are very excited to be doing the Italy Viking Cruise and thank you for being so welcoming. Kevin, thank you for all your patience with our questions. We would be interested in doing a number of the tours etc various people have noted. We look forward to meeting all of you.

As an aside, River Cruise Muster's are always comical at best. On our cruise on the Seine (Uniworld), I was being FORCED to have a Kir Royale while we were given safety instructions. Forced I say.

Dustin & I would be interested in both the food tour and the nighttime Vatican tour depending on price and timing.
Since Nancy and I are coming in only one day early also, the after hours tour and food tour could work for us. Please keep us in mind. Right now we are both working and taking care of her mother and sister here in Florida, so I only check this forum about once a week or so. TIA, can't wait to meet everyone and experience this trip. We will be at the DIS party, so maybe we can get together and discuss trip plans.

As an aside, River Cruise Muster's are always comical at best. On our cruise on the Seine (Uniworld), I was being FORCED to have a Kir Royale while we were given safety instructions. Forced I say.

I think that is part of the European maritime law. Like wine with dinner.

Been a while since I checked into this forum (Joe and Tricia from FL), but just want to welcome everyone new that have signed up for this trip. Still contemplating what tours we want to do outside of the cruise, but we are leaning towards the 3 night Tuscan/Forence wine country trip. I wonder when we can book the pre or post trips through Viking? We'd like to see and tour Rome, but not sure the timing or logistics will line up for that this time around.

Last edited:
Been a while since I checked into this forum (Joe and Tricia from FL), but just want to welcome everyone new that have signed up for this trip. Still contemplating what tours we want to do outside of the cruise, but we are leaning towards the 3 night Tuscan/Forence wine country trip. I wonder when we can book the pre or post trips through Viking? We'd like to see and tour Rome, but not sure the timing or logistics will line up for that this time around.

The Viking add ons are available to be booked.

Viking has not attached a hotel name to these yet.

Let me know if you'd like to add one of these.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter