Dis / Dreams Viking Sea Cruise around Italy 3/24 - 3/31/2018

Coincidently, I looked at the route from Rome to Orvieto on Google. Apparently it's only about a 1.5 hour, two stop (no change) train ride.

Who needs more ceramics? Ceramiche Giacomini Orvieto!!!!

OOOHHH, that sounds even more interesting. I really just need to get there and back. But, I am on strict orders, no more million dollar pottery!! The pieces I bought were pricey but I felt worth it. Until it was delivered and I had to pay duty and taxes on it. That oil and vinegar display quickly became the most expensive piece in my house.

On second thought maybe we will just go back to the Bernini Bristol.... It appears to be close to the Trevi fountain and Spanish steps for example. After spending the day with Christina walking around I didn't remember this but Google maps is claiming a 9 minute walk. It would be good to be at a familiar hotel for that fast of a trip.... Besides the pizza restaurant across the street and the restaurant around the corner were very good. This trip will be interesting from the standpoint that Chuck and I have been spoiled with ABD and having all of our travel to and from the airport coordinated. That part is what is scaring me the most...But I am sure that there will be opportunities to get advice from other travelers.

I was doing the same research as Jeff it seems. :)

There seems to be two trains, one reserved and one open seating. From what I'm reading, the one with reserved seats often sells out. The one with open seating originates in Rome and you can buy your tickets just before boarding. If you choose this option, it's suggested you get there a bit early, which will insure your choice of seats.

We have found that the Rome airport (FCO) is like any other airport. There will be taxis available.

And for those of you that like to plan ahead (like I don't know who you are :duck:), here is a website where you can reserve transportation:

https://www.viator.com/Rome-tours/Airport-and-Ground-Transfers/d511-g15-c52?pref=01

We are still unsure of our pre-cruise plans, but visiting Orvieto is an attractive option.

@christannj - no worries. It'll be fine.

I booked 2 nights in Florence, but I think Kate and I need to pow-wow as Google Maps says it's a 3 hr drive from Florence to Civita.... 1.5-2hrs from Lake Como to Stressa was ok. 3 hrs is lot.

Chris, it's always more fun with friends, isn't it?! We'll see. Florence has been calling me for years. We went back in 2003 and stayed at a bargain basement 1* hotel and loved every minute of it. Started my love affair with wine there. Italy is the best.

On second thought maybe we will just go back to the Bernini Bristol.... It appears to be close to the Trevi fountain and Spanish steps for example. After spending the day with Christina walking around I didn't remember this but Google maps is claiming a 9 minute walk. It would be good to be at a familiar hotel for that fast of a trip.... Besides the pizza restaurant across the street and the restaurant around the corner were very good. This trip will be interesting from the standpoint that Chuck and I have been spoiled with ABD and having all of our travel to and from the airport coordinated. That part is what is scaring me the most...But I am sure that there will be opportunities to get advice from other travelers.

Dustin & walked to the Trevi fountain and the Spanish steps on our first day from the Bernini Bristol and it was a quick & easy walk! That's why it's kind of high on my list. It's familiar, in an area I feel familiar with, and adding on a transfer from the airport to the hotel wasn't very expensive!

We enjoyed our stay at the Bernini Bristol during that ABD. The Baglioni isn't that far away though. Might come down to price.

Just researching pricing. The Bristol seems a bit high. To compare, St Regis rooms go for the same price. Baglioni rooms look like they run ~20% less.

Just researching pricing. The Bristol seems a bit high. To compare, St Regis rooms go for the same price. Baglioni rooms look like they run ~20% less.

I'm getting prices for the St. Regis even with a starwood member discount that's 400 EUR more than the price I got at the Bernini Bristol

i am not sure where on the Via Veneto the Luna Baglioni is located, but the street is not that long.

One end of the Via Veneto is the entrance to the Borghese Gardens (top of the hill) and the other end is Bernini Bristol.

The first hotel we ever stayed at in Rome is the Excelsior. It's closer to the top of the hill.

That area is mostly, restaurants, bars and night life. There was no place to buy a Diet Coke or a bottle of water.

The Bristol is on a square and there is a drug store, convenience store (they sell arancini / rice balls to go...not that I know first hand or anything <cough cough>) restaurants and some other convenient stuff.

Coming out of the Bristol and turning left will take you to the Trevi Fountain and the Pantheon ( one of the coolest buildings in a city of cool buildings).

The two are not that far apart, but if you are walking to these things....going home is uphill. that might not bother some.

Rome has a great Hop / Hop off bus tour. You pay one price and you can get on and off any of the busses that are EVERYWHERE. The busses do the "monument loop". We did it and stayed on the entire loop. It was a great way to see a lot in s short time. I want to say it was 20 euros per person. It's been a while.

There is a Hop on/Hop off stop in front of the Bernini Bristol.

I love the location of the Bernini Bristol...so thats my opinion. :smooth:

I'm getting prices for the St. Regis even with a starwood member discount that's 400 EUR more than the price I got at the Bernini Bristol

That probably means I'm doing something wrong. :)

I'm seeing ~475 Euros for both (nonrefundable, no breakfast but those look similar too) for a similar size room for March 22-24.

Screen Shot 2017-04-13 at 1.49.17 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-04-13 at 1.50.41 PM.png

I'm seeing ~475 Euros for both (nonrefundable, no breakfast but those look similar too) for a similar size room for March 22-24.

View attachment 231318 View attachment 231319

I think that's the total for 2 nights, not cost per night! And includes breakfast.

Of course I could be doing it wrong too lol. It comes up as the total when I click "book now"

ETA: Yep that is the total! I just switched it to search for one night and it 270 EUR

View attachment 231318 View attachment 231319

is one the per-night rate and one for the two nights? Because I was seeing about that for the Baglioni but seeing lower for the Bernini (I think we are just going to be doing one night)

Bernini quote.jpg

I think that's the total for 2 nights, not cost per night! And includes breakfast.

Of course I could be doing it wrong too lol. It comes up as the total when I click "book now"

ETA: Yep that is the total! I just switched it to search for one night and it 270 EUR

Ahh!! You're right! I thought that sounded crazy.
I blame multi tasking... :D

i am not sure where on the Via Veneto the Luna Baglioni is located, but the street is not that long.

One end of the Via Veneto is the entrance to the Borghese Gardens (top of the hill) and the other end is Bernini Bristol.

The first hotel we ever stayed at in Rome is the Excelsior. It's closer to the top of the hill.

That area is mostly, restaurants, bars and night life. There was no place to buy a Diet Coke or a bottle of water.

The Bristol is on a square and there is a drug store, convenience store (they sell arancini / rice balls to go...not that I know first hand or anything <cough cough>) restaurants and some other convenient stuff.

Coming out of the Bristol and turning left will take you to the Trevi Fountain and the Pantheon ( one of the coolest buildings in a city of cool buildings).

The two are not that far apart, but if you are walking to these things....going home is uphill. that might not bother some.

Rome has a great Hop / Hop off bus tour. You pay one price and you can get on and off any of the busses that are EVERYWHERE. The busses do the "monument loop". We did it and stayed on the entire loop. It was a great way to see a lot in s short time. I want to say it was 20 euros per person. It's been a while.

There is a Hop on/Hop off stop in front of the Bernini Bristol.

I love the location of the Bernini Bristol...so thats my opinion. :smooth:

I loved the Bernini Bristol and the location. So easy to get every where.

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter