DIS Dads Rumors

Just blame it on this "Berry" guy. You, Barry, should be all set.

Sure, Dave misspells half his post, and I get called out if I misspell a word here or there! Where is the justice?

Oh, I sorry, this is the wrong post for this. I need to be on the rant thread. :laughing:

(Dave, I sincerely apologize for throwing you under the bus!)

So I'm not sure if its really a rumor but I'd love hear more speculation about this:
Betamouse episode 54L
This week, we talk about this speech by Tom Staggs, Chairman of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts. He talks a lot about these “NextGen” efforts — most notably, announcing a ride and show reservation system that guests will be able to use before they even get to the parks.

They talk about a whole trip fastpass, and they also talk about the potential for disney to move more into the travel agent side of the business.

So I'm not sure if its really a rumor but I'd love hear more speculation about this:
Betamouse episode 54L
This week, we talk about this speech by Tom Staggs, Chairman of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts. He talks a lot about these “NextGen” efforts — most notably, announcing a ride and show reservation system that guests will be able to use before they even get to the parks.

They talk about a whole trip fastpass, and they also talk about the potential for disney to move more into the travel agent side of the business.

hmmm...sounds like something that would cost $$$...which I think is a bad plan. Fast Pass system works great as it is a perk for everyone...while if this new system ends up costing more $$$...this system would favor the "Haves" over the "Havenots".

However...if it is something that is offered to everyone at no extra charge then I love the idea.

hmmm...sounds like something that would cost $$$...which I think is a bad plan. Fast Pass system works great as it is a perk for everyone...while if this new system ends up costing more $$$...this system would favor the "Haves" over the "Havenots".

However...if it is something that is offered to everyone at no extra charge then I love the idea.

It didn't sound like it was going to be a cost thing. There were a lot of questions about UI design and whether or not it would be the death of spontaneity at Disney. We've all seen how much of a pain the ADR system is for most people. Who would want to plan their fastpasses 180 days out? One big thing they mentioned was being able to get park tickets and room key in advance so you can go directly to the parks on your first day.

Betamouse episode 54L

Henry Work, on the Betamouse podcast, sums it up best. The concepts are interesting. Execution is everything.

I think the most plausible way this is going to play out is that Disney will provide an opportunity for onsite guests to "reserve" one FastPass/guest/day in advance - sort of like the 180+10 day ADR privilege for onsite guests. I DON'T think they're going to put in a system where guests can advance-reserve a whole day's worth of attractions in advance. It's just too much of a logistical nightmare for them to manage in the park, especially since the data is strong that a large (but fluctuating) proportion of FastPasses and ADRs are never used. It was also generate too much negative feedback from guests who are not advance planners to allow too many advance reservations for attractions.

It would be an enticing benefit to someone weighing staying on property vs. off property if they knew before they arrived that they could avoid the stampedes for Toy Story Midway Mania, Soarin', Space Mountain, and Kilimanjaro Safari if they stayed on property. And there's no "extra charge", except for the higher rate for the room on Disney property vs. off. That's really the key. The more they can keep guests on property for longer periods of time, the greater proportion of each guest's overall vacation dollars Disney captures.

Henry Work, on the Betamouse podcast, sums it up best. The concepts are interesting. Execution is everything.

I think the most plausible way this is going to play out is that Disney will provide an opportunity for onsite guests to "reserve" one FastPass/guest/day in advance - sort of like the 180+10 day ADR privilege for onsite guests. I DON'T think they're going to put in a system where guests can advance-reserve a whole day's worth of attractions in advance. It's just too much of a logistical nightmare for them to manage in the park, especially since the data is strong that a large (but fluctuating) proportion of FastPasses and ADRs are never used. It was also generate too much negative feedback from guests who are not advance planners to allow too many advance reservations for attractions.

It would be an enticing benefit to someone weighing staying on property vs. off property if they knew before they arrived that they could avoid the stampedes for Toy Story Midway Mania, Soarin', Space Mountain, and Kilimanjaro Safari if they stayed on property. And there's no "extra charge", except for the higher rate for the room on Disney property vs. off. That's really the key. The more they can keep guests on property for longer periods of time, the greater proportion of each guest's overall vacation dollars Disney captures.

Doesn't Universal Studios have something like this?

Doesn't Universal Studios have something like this?

Universal's system is similar, but different. (Though it is interesting that FastPass was originally tested by Universal, and rejected in favor of their current system). Universal Express Pass comes in two "flavors". Onsite guests get Express Pass for no charge. It is included on your room key as a bar code, which is scanned by the CM's as you enter a ride. Theoretically, you only get to use your room key Express Pass once/ride. But CMs routinely don't bother scanning room keys and just wave you through the Express Pass line when you show your key. They also sell a standalone Express Pass. A limited number are sold per day. They're pretty pricey - IIRC it was nearly 1/2 the price of a one-day ticket. But the standalone Express Pass is unlimited - you can use it multiple times per ride.

The big difference is that there is no "reservation time" component of the Express Pass. You just go to the Express Pass line and, since there are a limited number of standalone passes sold/day and only three on-property hotels, the Express Pass line is always MUCH shorter and moves faster. One of the reasons that Disney prefers FastPass (as I understand it) is that the reservation times have the effect of distributing visitors throughout the day. If you get a FastPass for an attraction with a return time of 4:15 p.m., chances are better that you'll stay in the park long enough to use the FastPass, rather than go back to your hotel for a nap earlier (and maybe even end up staying in the park for dinner). It also has the effect of helping to distribute the crowds around the park. The big key for FastPass is that guests spend less time in line, but the same or more time in the park. In the park but not in line is time to spend money in restaurants and shops.

Express Pass doesn't do either of those things, because they can be used at any time on any attraction. Arguably, Express Pass actually reduces the amount of time spent in the park, because you can more quickly complete all of the attractions you intend to visit.

I think the current fastpass is working well... would be surprised to see it changed...
The memo from Disney they were reading on BetaMouse didn't suggest removing the old fast pass system, although I think there are some people that don't believe that the current system really improves the parks. The memo discussed investments in technology that disney was making to get people into the magic faster and to start the disney experience sooner. It did also talk about reserving rides and shows.

This was just a Disney memo though and from the way they discussed it on betamouse it seemed like there have been lots of other things that were talked about in memo's but never implemented.

I've heard the Grand Floridean is going to add/ build/ convert and be one of the DVC resorts.

SEE YA GILBERT, YOU WHINING VOICE BEVERLY!!!:lmao::lmao:

Yup! Mocking a people group in the middle of a natual disaster certainly has its consequences. I wonder if he was getting royalties for that. If so, not anymore!

Yup! Mocking a people in the middle of a natual disaster certainly has its consequences. I wonder if he was getting royalties for that. If so, not anymore!

I think the bigger impact to him is that he lost his job as the voice of the Aflac goose. I think their largest or 2nd largest market was Japan.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter