Dis 10th Anniversary mention - July 2016

I need help! o_O I can't find the podcast where Pete gives the week to keep open for the 10th anniversary........can someone help?pixiedust:

We have 3 WDW trips planned already for 2016............but the more I think about it I'd really like to be at a few of the DIS 10 year events :P...........so I'm doing my best evil genius work to try to figure something out :D

Doug :goofy:

Ok........call me crazy but I booked a room for the end of the week of July 24th...........4 days/3 nights......quick hitter...... so we can participate at some level for the 10th Anniversary of the DIS!!! Booked Port Orleans Riverside as a kind of nostalgic trip back for my wife and I (Keeping with the spirit of the event)..........PO was the very first resort we took our children too (with different spouses :P) Discounts for July don't hit until March (I checked :D) so I may have to update but its on the board............Only required a $200 deposit so if things change it won't be a big deal.
Yeah I'm crazy :rolleyes:.................but we love the DIS and WDW! pixiedust:

Last edited:
Ok........call me crazy but I booked a room for the end of the week of July 24th...........4 days/3 nights......quick hitter...... so we can participate at some level for the 10th Anniversary of the DIS!!! Booked Port Orleans Riverside as a kind of nostalgic trip back for my wife and I (Keeping with the spirit of the event)..........PO was the very first resort we took our children too (with different spouses :P) Discounts for July don't hit until March (I checked :D) so I may have to update but its on the board............Only required a $200 deposit so if things change it won't be a big deal.
Yeah I'm crazy :rolleyes:.................but we love the DIS and WDW! pixiedust:

Hey,:wave2: just FYI, I wouldn't want you to miss out on the events you'd most like to do, in case your stay dates don't overlap enough...but you did say it wouldn't be a big deal if things change, so that good...but anyway...
I went back to check, Pete said keep the week of July 22-29 open (which is actually Friday to Friday). He also said the dates were tentative, but they were going to do a very special show on the 25th, the actual anniversary date. I started to book a room too but decided to wait for further instruction by Pete. :D:rotfl:

Thanks for the update.:D..............no problem with changing the dates..8-).........the 25th is the big day.........and we'll be there!pixiedust:

Appreciate the information :thanks:

You guys are too much. I just booked our November 2015 trip 2 weeks ago. I won't book July until probably May, maybe April if I feel ambitious.

Wahhhhh!!!
The aussie dollar is plummeting so now my sept 2016 trip might not be happening at all, nevermind a trip during July.

I'm heartbroken that I won't be back in the world for maybe another 3-5 years.

Oh no! That's not good news at all. I hope your dollar recovers quickly so your trip can happen as planned.
It's plummeted like USD$0.05 in the space of about 7-14 days I think. It's currently at USD$0.66 for me to buy, and we agreed that if it gets to $0.60 we're out :-( considering we have a year till we travel, it seems likely, and also unlikely that it will rise again for a few years.
Something about China crapping itself?

The aussie dollar is plummeting
This likely won't help much for your planned 2016 trip, but since you're a big WDW fan and likely intend to travel to Orlando a number of times over the next 20yrs or so, have you considered setting up a US$ account in an Australian bank and then linking a US$ credit card (likely also issued by an AUS bank) to that account? I did that a few yrs ago in Canada (its a popular product because so many CDNs travel to the US) and when our $ was well over par about a year and a half ago, I invested money into the account (then buying slightly discounted US dollars) to cushion against a lower CDN dollar in the future to fund a future trip. Our $ cycles up and down against the US$ over time so highs and lows are a bit predictable here (just not how high or how low). I would guess that this is available in AUS?

Also, have you read the Canadian Trip Planning thread on the boards? Some of their ideas re struggling with the higher US $ may trigger some solutions for you in AUS. All the best!

This likely won't help much for your planned 2016 trip, but since you're a big WDW fan and likely intend to travel to Orlando a number of times over the next 20yrs or so, have you considered setting up a US$ account in an Australian bank and then linking a US$ credit card (likely also issued by an AUS bank) to that account? I did that a few yrs ago in Canada (its a popular product because so many CDNs travel to the US) and when our $ was well over par about a year and a half ago, I invested money into the account (then buying slightly discounted US dollars) to cushion against a lower CDN dollar in the future to fund a future trip. Our $ cycles up and down against the US$ over time so highs and lows are a bit predictable here (just not how high or how low). I would guess that this is available in AUS?

Also, have you read the Canadian Trip Planning thread on the boards? Some of their ideas re struggling with the higher US $ may trigger some solutions for you in AUS. All the best!
The bank I'm with offers a "travel money card" which is essentially a card/account that you can load with up to 8 different currencies, usd being one of them) that yeah, we can start exchanging it, the problem is, it will take us until the 2016 trip to have everything we need so we would have to keep exchanging it as we go and it will continue to drop.
Ours takes decades to cycle so now that it's going down (a 6 year low) it will take forever to come back up.

We're playing with ideas at the moment, but I think wdw is off the cards. Might get a couple of days at DL in though, so it's not all bad. But I was hoping to hit both.
My company has many stores (and growing) in the USA, maybe they should just send me over there for a year to work!! We have lots of stores in Cali and Florida because they're similar climates to northern australia, warm and humid year round

but I think wdw is off the cards
Another possible angle, which you have probably already worked through, is to opt for cheaper rooms at WDW. I stay at the POP because I'm always in the parks and never in the hotel/room enough to justify paying $$ for amenities that I don't use. Of course, I'd love to stay at the Poly and the like but I don't love it that much to pay 4x the amount. Particularly when my dollar is in the dumpster and I have to add the exchange rate into the mix. There are also great off site places to stay but the perks of staying on site do mean something for people like us who love to plan. I'm also traveling solo so a beautiful room/hotel isn't as much of a big deal. I can spend my evenings at their lovely restaurants/bars. Then just come back to sleep in my little room. Maybe something to think about? ps I'm doing everything I can to help "get" Princess Jes to WDW next Fall pixiedust:

There are also great off site places to stay
Definitely. If it is a choice between staying offsite and not going, I'd definitely suggest staying offsite. I recently booked our November trip. We're renting a 2-bedroom timeshare unit for $45/night. The only drawback is you do need to have a car.

Another possible angle, which you have probably already worked through, is to opt for cheaper rooms at WDW. I stay at the POP because I'm always in the parks and never in the hotel/room enough to justify paying $$ for amenities that I don't use. Of course, I'd love to stay at the Poly and the like but I don't love it that much to pay 4x the amount. Particularly when my dollar is in the dumpster and I have to add the exchange rate into the mix. There are also great off site places to stay but the perks of staying on site do mean something for people like us who love to plan. I'm also traveling solo so a beautiful room/hotel isn't as much of a big deal. I can spend my evenings at their lovely restaurants/bars. Then just come back to sleep in my little room. Maybe something to think about? ps I'm doing everything I can to help "get" Princess Jes to WDW next Fall pixiedust:

Definitely. If it is a choice between staying offsite and not going, I'd definitely suggest staying offsite. I recently booked our November trip. We're renting a 2-bedroom timeshare unit for $45/night. The only drawback is you do need to have a car.
Unfortunately it's more about length of time in the USA, longer time (even at a cheaper resort) means more food money, drinking money, spending money in general.
Because we don't come often by any means, and we only spend 6-7 nights, the benefit of certain deluxe resorts (EPCOT area in particular) is the convenience/time saving of waking to epcot for Food/drinking at night and a quick walk/boat to DHS, as well as a quick walk to one of the mini golf courses. Those are conveniences that while do cost more, they make our time more valuable

I love you guys. Seriously, so helpful and understanding. You're the best

O.k. When should we start looking into booking? Should we wait to see if the DIS will have a block of rooms etc? Thinking about doing this so wanted to start checking prices etc.

Following along. I don't EVER go to WDW in the summer (learned that lesson back in the 90s), but I will break my rule for this. Can't wait!

O.k. When should we start looking into booking? Should we wait to see if the DIS will have a block of rooms etc? Thinking about doing this so wanted to start checking prices etc.
I already locked in our room at POR :P.............yeah I'm outta control. But I figure prices are going up before next summer.........so........it was only $200:D Now just waiting for spring to see if the discounts are any good. Can't get the full week off at work so we'll pop in for 4 days. We're there on Tuesday so hoping to be at a podcast too.......

Following along. I don't EVER go to WDW in the summer (learned that lesson back in the 90s), but I will break my rule for this. Can't wait!
We usually do May or the fall............this will be a first for us too...........but for this event............its worth it.

We'll stay offsite, as always, so I will book around the same time I always do - 8 or so weeks in advance.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter