Direct VGF purchase - small resale purchase first?

crazydecoratoruk

Earning My Ears
After a few months of research we have decided that we’d like to buy 150 points direct at VGF as the summer incentives make it much more attractive. However altogether we really need around 250 points and I can’t really see much of an incentive to buy all of those direct, so we’re thinking if buying 100 or so SSR points. Essentially we are used to travelling every other year from the UK as a family of 4 and stay in 1BRs and could either afford 200 points direct or 250 if we mix direct and resale.

I have a few questions which I’m hoping you knowledgeable people can help with:

1) we plan to travel in August for the next few years due to kids school (have travelled in August for the last few years so know what to expect!) and then switch to late April/May so want to buy an April UY- will Disney allow me to do this if I don’t buy resale with an April UY first?
2) I think a lot of people try to buy resale first so they can benefit from member purchase discounts. For the summer incentives I believe they expire in September, is it realistic that if I had an offer accepted on a smaller resale contract by 15 June that I’d have what I need by 15 August to qualify as a member to purchase direct with additional discounts before the offer expires?
3) is there anything I am missing or any advice you would all give based on the above? We are hoping to make our first DVC trip in August 2024

thanks!

Last edited:
They will sell you an April UY. They may try and encourage a different one but stay strong.

The incentives don’t kick in though until the higher levels so I don’t know why you’d not just go with VGF If 150 is all you want to end up with.

The new minimum is 100 points so you could get your contracts at 100 and 50 in case you want to downsize later, though you’d lose the access to membership extras…which may not be a big deal for you.

Also, the resale points would not be good at RIV, VDH, and most likely all future resorts, even if you do buy some direct.

While it’s possible that you’d close in time, if things slow down or there are issues, it could be close.

1. Yes. Disney will sell you any UY but they are usually pushing one. You may need to push back depending on the guide you're working with.

2. I think it's unlikely that your contract will close within this time frame. It's potentially possible but I wouldn't rely on it to get these incentives. Why don't you look at purchasing more points via resale? This will similarly net you savings. Be aware, if you do buy direct from Disney, they can't offer you financing in the UK if you needed it.

3. You said that you were looking at 100 points at SSR. Are you happy split stay between resorts when you're at Disney? Banking/borrowing will get you a week at SSR every other year. I assume you'd then move to VGF? If you're happy with staying at SSR, what about buying a larger contract there? Then you can book SSR at 11 months and change the booking at 7 months to other resorts with 1 bedroom availability. Of course this restricts you from booking rooms at Riviera and beyond but gives you access to the previous 14.

Edited to add: if you are looking at buying VGF for one bedrooms be aware that there's the potential they will be very competitive. Disney adding a new building of 200 studios now means that you're competing with a larger pool of points for the same number of 1 bedroom units. Have you considered Riviera which is better balanced in terms of room types? The one beds at Riviera are unsurpassed.

Last edited:
Apologies there was a typo above we’d want 250 points altogether I think and am happy to do a split stay so that’s why we were considering VGF and SSR with the April UY.

sounds like it could be tight in timing though!

1. Yes. Disney will sell you any UY but they are usually pushing one. You may need to push back depending on the guide you're working with.

2. I think it's unlikely that your contract will close within this time frame. It's potentially possible but I wouldn't rely on it to get these incentives. Why don't you look at purchasing more points via resale? This will similarly net you savings. Be aware, if you do buy direct from Disney, they can't offer you financing in the UK if you needed it.

3. You said that you were looking at 100 points at SSR. Are you happy split stay between resorts when you're at Disney? Banking/borrowing will get you a week at SSR every other year. I assume you'd then move to VGF? If you're happy with staying at SSR, what about buying a larger contract there? Then you can book SSR at 11 months and change the booking at 7 months to other resorts with 1 bedroom availability. Of course this restricts you from booking rooms at Riviera and beyond but gives you access to the previous 14.

Edited to add: if you are looking at buying VGF for one bedrooms be aware that there's the potential they will be very competitive. Disney adding a new building of 200 studios now means that you're competing with a larger pool of points for the same number of 1 bedroom units. Have you considered Riviera which is better balanced in terms of room types? The one beds at Riviera are unsurpassed.
It’s been over a year since VGF2 sales started, and I think they’re about halfway done. Has there been any indication at all that VGF one bedrooms are harder to get?

It’s been over a year since VGF2 sales started, and I think they’re about halfway done. Has there been any indication at all that VGF one bedrooms are harder to get?

For home resort, at 11 months, so far no But, for 7 month bookings, when I normally travel and would use my SSR points, for the 1 bedroom SV, it was hit or miss, which in the past was always easy.

So, I am glad I bought because I think it is going to be tougher on. non resort owners like I was to get the larger rooms.

We shall see if It gets harder during the home resort window once completely sold out.

For home resort, at 11 months, so far no But, for 7 month bookings, when I normally travel and would use my SSR points, for the 1 bedroom SV, it was hit or miss, which in the past was always easy.

So, I am glad I bought because I think it is going to be tougher on. non resort owners like I was to get the larger rooms.

We shall see if It gets harder during the home resort window once completely sold out.
Yeah, am glad I bought as well. We get the one bedroom lake view, which I think is usually the last to go anyway, but hopefully as direct owners we’ll all be ok booking 11 months out.

I also think the resale price will substantially increase once VGF sells out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter