Dino - Land

When I was a kid, I liked the local Carnival too. Don't most kids? A visit to the local Carnival is much cheaper than a visit to WDW. JMO :)

Mrs Mouse said:
What is it with Dino-Land ???
Is it me or is Dino-Land a waste of time and space???
It is just like a mini local theme park!!!
It is allways very hot and humid there!!
I don't see the point of it being there!!!
Is it only me or does anyone else not like it???? :confused3

:furious: :furious: :furious: :furious: :furious: :furious: :furious: :furious:

It's a carnival!!!!! And that Primeval HURL, BLAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

tarheelmjfan said:
A visit to the local Carnival is much cheaper than a visit to WDW. JMO :)
Yes, it's cheaper than a visit to WDW...BUT, the thing is that you're now IN Disney.

First of all, I don't know how it can be more hot and humid in one second of WDW and not be the same everywhere else. I understand there being no shade... but that doesn't change the fact that if its 80 degrees with 90% humidity in Dinoland it will be the same temperature and humidy anywhere in WDW.

I will say, I think "Chester and Hester's" thingymajig is opposite of what the Animal Kingdom is supposed to be. I could understand Dinosaur, but I though AK was more like a nature reserve... not a carnival. I do love Primeval Whirl, don't get me wrong.

Our kids love Dino land...especially the fossil dig and the play ground. Great way for them to burn off some energy while waiting for others to ride Dinosaur.

We don't care one way or the other about the games, we just don't play them. Kids know to not even ask, so its not a big deal.

BeckWhy said:
First of all, I don't know how it can be more hot and humid in one second of WDW and not be the same everywhere else. I understand there being no shade... but that doesn't change the fact that if its 80 degrees with 90% humidity in Dinoland it will be the same temperature and humidy anywhere in WDW.
I can't comment on higher humidity, but I can tell you for sure that asphalt and concrete absorb and in turn give off more heat than earth and plants. On a hot and sunny day, particularly a day with little wind, if you stand on a school's ballfield, and then go stand on the large parking lot next door, you'll be a lot hotter on the parking lot than on the ballfield.

Inside any WDW park, I can't think of a larger and more uninterrupted stretch of paved area that Chester and Hester's Dino-Rama. On a micro-climate level, it can be described in meteorological terms as a "heat island."

BeckWhy said:

It's the concrete, no shade, they don't sell propper drinks and fans !!

I think that animal kingdom was made and then they just shoved Dino-land on the side as a fun-fair. You could stay home and go to a carnival and pay a few pounds OR you could go to WDW and pay alot of dollars for exactly the same! :smooth:

My little one loves it and as long as he is happy I am happy. We did love to see Lucky walking around and we were able to get up really close to see him. The Dino dig has lots of shade and it was a good place for us to sit and catch our breath while my son played in the sand.

I like the fossil dig/play area & Dinosaur!, but I do NOT like Chester & Hester's Dino-Rama or it's theming/atmosphere, in general.

If I want a Six Flags, then I'll GO to a Six Flags!

If I want a carnival, then I'll just GO straight to some travelling carnival.

Why should I waste my price-y Disney admission when I could get in to something else for a lot less AND it would be the REAL tacky experience, not just a re-creation (and a cheaply-done one at *that*). Put the theming around Expedition Everest up against the Chester & Hester's theming - IMO it's pretty easy to see where Disney spent some actual time and money.

agnes!

I only like Primeval Whirl, they should just move that one ride smewhere else, and use "Dino-land" as something USEFUL!!

If Disney imagineers see a need for this atrocity in an otherwise beautiful park so be it. I won't be found wandering around it with my kids because it is so hot and tacky.

I would strongly suggest that disney add some sort of shaded seating (and maybe a water misting feature) to this area though as there are many parents & grandparents who want their kids to experience this are and NEED a place to park it out of the heat.

Not that I care for Dinoland, but my DDs ADORE the dino stuffies we won there in 2004. The trick is to agree that everyone in your party plays and try to hit it when no one else will join you. For us, it was $8 per kid well spent. (the more players, the bigger the prize). They each got about an 18", high quality (not typical amusement park junk) dino.

For the record, I also got a trip to the nurse's station with the first known whack-a-dino injury at AK. :lmao: I guess I was over-zealous b/c I had a HUGE blister on the entire pad of my thumb. Moral to the story...let DAD win!

I love the games
842f3d93.jpg

CleveRocks said:
I can't comment on higher humidity, but I can tell you for sure that asphalt and concrete absorb and in turn give off more heat than earth and plants. On a hot and sunny day, particularly a day with little wind, if you stand on a school's ballfield, and then go stand on the large parking lot next door, you'll be a lot hotter on the parking lot than on the ballfield.

Inside any WDW park, I can't think of a larger and more uninterrupted stretch of paved area that Chester and Hester's Dino-Rama. On a micro-climate level, it can be described in meteorological terms as a "heat island."

Mrs Mouse said:
It's the concrete, no shade, they don't sell propper drinks and fans !!

I think that animal kingdom was made and then they just shoved Dino-land on the side as a fun-fair. You could stay home and go to a carnival and pay a few pounds OR you could go to WDW and pay alot of dollars for exactly the same! :smooth:

Wait first of all.. what covers the ground in all other areas of WDW? Isn't it pavement of concrete anyways? For the most part? I don't know I never stare at the ground that I walk on. And if other areas are covered in pavement or concrete then they would be hotter too. Right?

I never took into consideration the ground covering would add to the heat. It does. I never realized that it was paved or concreted and not made of any other ground covering. So yes this would add to the heat. But it wouldn't raise it intensively.

For Mrs Mouse: Again shade doesn't change the temp and humidity outside. It may create a cooler region for the time in which you are standing under it. Lastly fans and proper drinks ALSO do not change the temp or humidity outside.

BeckWhy said:
Wait first of all.. what covers the ground in all other areas of WDW? Isn't it pavement of concrete anyways? For the most part? I don't know I never stare at the ground that I walk on. And if other areas are covered in pavement or concrete then they would be hotter too. Right?
WDW has asphalt and concrete all throughout. But as I said in my post, Dino-Rama has the largest uninterrupted expanse of "hardtop" in all of WDW's parks, as far as I can tell. Everywhere else there are "roads" and sidewalks, but they are relatively narrow and are surrounded by landscaping, water, etc.

And if you don't think it would make a significant difference. If you ever get the chance to watch baseball, check out the fact that ballparks with artificial turf (a thin carpet of plastic spread out over concrete) have much hotter fields than do ballparks with natural grass and dirt. This gets highlighted every summer during numerous televised games.

I hate local carnivals and that is why I don't mind if my kids play a few carnival games in a Disney park where there are carnival games. We also like the areas in Busch Gardens and Sea World in which there are carnival games. Our kids love this and the love being challenged to try and win - and they usually do win something. It's huge in their book. It doesn't rock our boat but it IS fun for them! :cheer2:

Local carnivals make me worried for safety reasons, worried about some of the people working there, worried about the condition of food, and are such rip-offs when it comes to many games. Have you ever seen the oval basketball hoop illusion? :rotfl:

We like the carnival themes at the parks for the very reasons I stated. It's fun for the kids, and you can skip it if you don't agree. Disney isn't exactly shoving this area down your throat or shoving this theme at you in any other park or in any other area. You can bypass it if you like. You are not made to go there, walk through there or pay to play. :goodvibes

I personally just don't get what the hype is about this area. Dh and I thought "Huh"? when we first went there too. But we chalk it up to yet another unique Disney experience. That's why you can stay or eat in Africa or Mexico if you choose. That's what makes Disney unique in it's planning. :love:

And...why aren't you complaining about the carnival games on the Boardwalk? I guess upperclass Deluxe resorts can get away with it because??? :confused3

I was very disappointed when I first saw Dino land.....it is like a tacky local carnival. If I wanted that type of intertainment I could go to a local carnival or our state fair. I never visit this part of AK. I avoid places like this at home, i will not spend valued Disney time there. Not to mention it is the HOTTEST place in all of WDW, I could not find any shade there unless I was in line for a ride or playing a game. :sunny: :sunny: :sunny:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter