Dining plan cost comparison

Disney does not push buying anything that doesn't save them money!! They're not interested in saving 'you' money!

I agree that Disney wants to maximize profits.

But, it is not a zero sum game. Any smart business will try to find ways that both maximizes their profits and helps their customers save money and/or get the most for their money in order to increase customer satisfaction, which leads to referrals and repeat business.

An example of this is DME. Yes, they essentially include this in the cost of the rooms, with a profit for themselves plus encouraging guests to do more on their property, as opposed to traveling elsewhere. But, paying for DME as a room rate inclusion is most certainly less than what it would cost for individuals to get form airport to Disney.

In terms of the DDP, Disney is thrilled if you come out ahead. This means that you are eating almost exclusively on their property, and will refer others to the DDP. If you feel like you get cheated on the DDP, this bad word of mouth works too much against them. So, coming out ahead on the DDP is win-win. Coming out behind on the DDP is lose-lose. Remember, for Disney, cost of the meals is so little compared to the price they charge that it is really irrelevant to them financially if you come out ahead.

Some people thought my suggested budget was too low ($50pp per day) but it's fine if you don't buy alcohol and avoid signature restaurant full meals

Well..... we could probably halve our meal budge if we skipped alcohol and signatures but what is the fun in that.

Stacy

The one time I felt this worked out well for us was when my DD was 4 and enjoyed adult food choices a lot more than kid food choices. She was also super into characters so we booked almost every character buffet offered at Disney. She ate things like prime rib and roasted pork and we definitely ate a ton of food. Character buffets are typically expensive so it was worth it.

That being said, every other trip, we don't spend enough to come out on top. We rarely buy snacks and sometimes you just feel like a quick "cheap" sandwich instead of the most expensive thing on the menu to come out on top. OOP works for my family.

Well..... we could probably halve our meal budge if we skipped alcohol and signatures but what is the fun in that.

Stacy

Lots of fun for us - we've never done either in our many trips there and have not missed them!! :)

I agree that Disney wants to maximize profits.
Remember, for Disney, cost of the meals is so little compared to the price they charge that it is really irrelevant to them financially if you come out ahead.

Exactly what I said in different words - they 'want' you to buy the DDP, and they don't care that you don't come out ahead!
It is definitely a 'win-win' for 'us' to pay oop, as we've proved it over and over. :goodvibes

I see you do lots of character meals. If you would normally do that without the DDP, then you would probably break even or close - but, either way it's paying out the $$$'s!! :)

Last edited:

3 disney adults, 2 disney children
14 nights
Did the spreadsheet myself and displanner
Result of both was:
Saving over $600 with regular plan

Lots of character meals
This is a perfect example of when the DP does save money -- a family that is going to eat a lot of character meals/buffets. Those can each cost over $40 per person, and when you figure in a couple of snacks and a QS meal you probably can save some money. But I imagine the typical family doesn't plan that closely and doesn't eat numerous character meals/buffets, and those folks probably don't come out ahead. I suspect that if I did the math we'd break about even or lose some money on the plan.

Lots of fun for us - we've never done either in our many trips there and have not missed them!! :)

Exactly what I said in different words - they 'want' you to buy the DDP, and they don't care that you don't come out ahead!
It is definitely a 'win-win' for 'us' to pay oop, as we've proved it over and over. :goodvibes

I see you do lots of character meals. If you would normally do that without the DDP, then you would probably break even or close - but, either way it's paying out the $$$'s!! :)
For us, the character meals are an important component of our disney vacation, budgeting for that instead of other items like deluxe resorts.

We'd do the same adrs even if we stayed off site.

But, your assessment of us needing even if not correct. We are saving over $600 on a 14 night trip. And this assumes Ds8 orders kids QS meals. If he orders mostly adult QS meals, which I suspect he will, the savings will be around $750

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter