Did the math... I think

justakrazymom

DIS Veteran
disclaimer my numbers may be off + or - but I think for us they are pretty durn close!

230 days to go.. just entered the calendar year of the trip..yes I am excited.

I read on the board about a new offer.. room only discount 25% off for my dates.. so I needed to crunch some numbers.

We have 2 resssies at POP.. about $1000 each..so $2000.. "free" dining. We spend $440 to upgrade from the QS to the regular DDP..

here's where the math comes in.. I can save $500 on the ressies.. add in the $440 we spent to upgrade the food plan.. that is $940 total.. I needed to see if what we had planned for potential meals made that savings up...or if we lost or broke even.

here's the run down

10 TS meal credits ( x 4 adults and 3 kids)

Hoop Dee Doo ( Definitely happening) 2 Credits or $331 cash
CRT Breakfast ( Def) 2 Credits or $286 cash
Coral Reef (Def) 1 Credit or approx $177 cash ( did not include drinks)
Sci Fi (Def) 1 Credit or approx $146 cash
Tony's for a Grand Gathering (most likely) 1 Credit or $215 cash
Donald's Safari (maybe) 1 Credit or $127 cash
Crystal Palace (maybe) 1 Credit or $150 cash
Whispering Canyon ( maybe) 1 Credit or approx $156 cash

So Table Service meals alone would be $1588 with the DDP

Now on to CS we have 10 credits X 7 people.. I reviewed a few menus and just rounded off what I thought we'd spend on the DDP total for the 10 days:( if those numbers are off please correct me)
$15 a meal x 4 adults x 10 days =$600
$7 a meal x 3 kids x 10 days= $210

Snacks I figured $3.50 per snack x $70 snacks= $245

Grand total of food ON the "free" DDP is $2643

So if you take what I spent on upgrading which is $440 then we are getting
$2203 worth of food "free".. even subtracting the $500 I could save on the rooms that's still $1703 worth of food FREE!

Now in the interest of showing both sides I am going to say this.. if we didn't have the DDP we would def eat a little different..so here's those numbers:

4 TS meals..
Hoop Dee doo at $331
Cinderella's Royal Table at $286
Coral Reef at $177
Sci Fi at $146
total for the 4 TS meals I know we would def do is $740

now for CS I know I would share with my mother but my DH and teen would never share so that would bring us to $15 x 3 x 10 = $450

Add in we would need 6 more CS meals for the no TS days and that adds another $15 x 3 x 6 = $270

My little ones would like share two meals between em for CS so we have
$7 x 2 x 10 = $140

Add in the 6 extra days we need a 2nd CS meal and that's
$7 x 2 x 6 = $84

Snacks I think would be about half
$125

So OOP food would cost us $1809

If we ditched the DDP and got the room only discount and ate only a few TS meals and split CS meals we'd lose approx $869 worth of food.. so YES the "free" dining is worth it to us according to my math.( potentially more because my 3 wee ones may be much hungrier than I expect

Now I admit I don't know all the ins and outs since it's been a long time since I was at WDW..but I know how my family eats and I also know if I am going I want to do some of the things we loved before ( HDD ) and things I want my younger ones to experience ( CRT).

I think we will stick with our free dining ressies!

I wish we'd booked during free dining! :(

Looks like your dates are pretty close to ours (the first of Spet for us) Where did you read about the discount? I can't find anything for our dates, so a 25% savings would be better than nothing!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter