Did Disney ruin Sears stores?

When I was growing up and when my sons were little, Sears was the go to store for certain things. Kenmore appliances, Craftsmen tools, Toughskins jeans for kids (and maybe adults too, I just bought them for my kids) and men’s work clothes. All of these things were made to last and guaranteed.

They sold off those brands. Why go to Sears?

There's only 1 sears left by me - others have closed. I never shop there, but I really like the optometrist in their vision dept - been going to her for several years now - plus get a good deal on rx glasses there through my vision plan that comes close to matching low prices of online companies like Zennis. Hate to see them close - I wonder if she's an employee there or just a contractor.

They probably got fined enough and lost enough business that they no longer do that. They are no longer the big kid on the block. The most humiliating blow would have been being bought out by K-Mart. As I said, they were high quality and always offered a great service department even though I never really needed them for anything..

Who would fine them and why?

Sears, K-Mart and even McDonalds are all in the same kind of boat. Their business model going back decades was to own the real estate their stores are on. McDonalds has done much better because they own the land and buildings, but have franchisees running them, and leasing them from corporate. Leases bring in more income than operating the stores in many cases. All the closed K-Marts here, the buildings and land are all still owned by K-Mart. They are leasing them out to new tenants like Home Depot.
As for Eddie Lampert, interesting guy. He just lent Sears $500 million of his own money to keep them afloat. Must be nice to have that kind of money laying around to invest.

Walmart has had 3 different locations in my town. They still own all 3 buildings and numerous empty lots that are bound for eventual development.

I like the obvious trolling by including the word Mexicans. Do try harder next time..

I guess I don't get it? When I (briefly) lived in Texas, our local JC Penney was on the heavy side with Mexican patrons. Everyone spoke Spanish and even the announcements were in Spanish.

I now live in an area that has a strong German community. We just got a Lidl grocery store. Most of the patrons are German. The Swedes are there too. But the German speaking shoppers outnumber everyone.

What is the troll? Unless this posted has a reputation of trolling. What is wrong with an observation that a store is popular with Mexicans? What is wrong with the word "Mexican"?

They did not sub out their repair services, they started a different division. I know this because my son son is the **************** which is the repair division of the company. It is an extremely difficult time for him right now going through the Chapter 11 process. He has only been with the company for 4 years and was brought in to help reorganize things. He is a young man who rose rather quickly with a major soft drink company and saw this a challenge. Unfortunately, things have not worked out due to many circumstances. I know he will stick with Sears for as long as they need him to, he is not a quitter. He has had many job offers, but needs to see his current one to the end.

Kerry, I don't know if your son would appreciate you posting his business online. I am saying this as a mom who has been told by my son to "tone it back" a bit when posting about him:rolleyes1:rotfl:

People monitoring the online postings concerning Sears will be able to find this in seconds. You may be taking away a bargaining chip for him if the higher ups know he is sticking this bankruptcy out until the end. I canceled out his title/position at Sears in my quote.

Op has been known for starting threads and not coming back.

They could post a topic and still be actively reading the responses. Sometimes I start a thread and look at what others have to say and don't feel the need to reply to everyone. I mean it's not like starting threads and never replying is against the rules anyways.

Walmart has had 3 different locations in my town. They still own all 3 buildings and numerous empty lots that are bound for eventual development.

That kind of how a lot of retail companies make money these days - but subletting parts of the property, using the anchor store to attract customers to the smaller businesses. I've seen it with some new supermarkets, where there are small tenants in the same building. They have their own entrances and some

The Golden State Warriors are supposedly not just moving for a new facility, but one where they will own it and the land around it. They're going to be making money off of the office/retail space, which may be more than their team and arena income.

That being said, most Sears stores around here seem to be in malls where they're not the owner. Back in the 90s the two most prominent Sears locations in the San Francisco Bay Area were in San Francisco and Oakland. They eventually sold them off because the real estate value was too high to keep them for their own retail. The one in Oakland was turned into loft apartments. In San Francisco the location got stuck in developmental limbo, but now most of it became a Target store.

What is the troll? Unless this posted has a reputation of trolling. What is wrong with an observation that a store is popular with Mexicans? What is wrong with the word "Mexican"?

The OP has a history of bizarre claims. Nothing particularly inflammatory, but just oddball hypotheses. That Sears has gone downhill because Disney cut them off from merchandise just seems particularly odd. There's no hint at all that Disney cut off Sears. That's not even the way Disney works. They license their trademarks/images to third parties, and it's up to those sellers how their merchandise is distributed. Even if somehow Sears was cut off from selling Disney merch, that would have been the least of their problems.

I guess I don't get it? When I (briefly) lived in Texas, our local JC Penney was on the heavy side with Mexican patrons. Everyone spoke Spanish and even the announcements were in Spanish.
Your statement that the Penny's store located in Texas had a heavy patronage by Spanish speaking people would seem logical. In Texas, adjacent to Mexico, one might expect more Spanish speaking people.

The OP on the other hand, said Sears, as a retail store enterprise, was mostly frequented by Spanish speaking people. Absurd.

They did not sub out their repair services, they started a different division. I know this because my son son is the senior VP of Sears Home Services which is the repair division of the company. It is an extremely difficult time for him right now going through the Chapter 11 process. He has only been with the company for 4 years and was brought in to help reorganize things. He is a young man who rose rather quickly with a major soft drink company and saw this a challenge. Unfortunately, things have not worked out due to many circumstances. I know he will stick with Sears for as long as they need him to, he is not a quitter. He has had many job offers, but needs to see his current one to the end.

Why would he want to stick it out to the inevitable end? Everyone knows the place will disappear. I wouldn't wait around until the last lifeboat is leaving the Titanic.

Has Old Lady come back to this thread.....and no I don't mean me even though I'm an old lady!! :teeth:

Sears leaderships mismanagement of the company and poor investments is what helped to destroy the company. Our Sears is closing, but we rarely shopped there anyways.

When he moved here 3 years ago we went to Sears to purchase a new refrigerator, washing machine, and dryer. They had almost nothing in stock. Had to take whatever fridge was in stock (under $1200) that met our criteria (double door with ice maker and water dispenser). Then when our washing machine was recalled it took weeks to get a replacement. After those experiences we’ll stick to Home Depot or Lowe’s. While they might not be in stock the customer service is better.

We use to buy our appliances and some of the girls clothes at Sears. Kenmore and Craftsmen were good brands. Toughskin clothing line held up well, lasted through four kids.

These days their store was full of empty shelves, long lines, lack of customer service, and not worth our time.

Yes. She repeats the questions every few months as well.
Denise

I'm not getting why any of this even matters. So what she asks questions and never replies? So what she repeats questions? No one is making anyone reply or even read her posts. If you aren't interested in why Sears closed then why even open this thread? We don't know what's going on in peoples lives. She isn't breaking any rules. I see a lot of people single people out for no reason. Usually, it's a bunch of veterans to someone with few posts and I just don't get it to be honest. If she posts something and breaks the rules sure go ahead and report it and an admin will deal with.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter