DHS - Counter Service Options?

cassi06403

<font color=brown>I LOVE the chocolate bunny<br><f
It's been years since we've been to DHS - somehow the other parks won out the past few trips. DH still refers to the park as MGM... :)

It seems there aren't any dinner reservations to be found on the day we're planning to go so I thought to look into the CS options. I thought there's no one better to ask than my friends on the DIS that I've been away from for too long!:wave2: So - Where do you aim to grab lunch or dinner at DHS?

My favorite CS at DHS is The Backlot Express, it is located next to Star Tours. The Backlot offers some unique sandwich options including my favorite, turkey, arugula and roasted red pepper melt.

There is also Pizza Planet, next to Muppet Vision--a Toy Story fan favorite and the ABC Commissary located on Commissary Lane.

Other CS options are available but do not offer indoor seating. I also suggested checking back for TS reservations because something could open up!

Happy Planning!

We had a good lunch at Studio Catering Company. I've read that it sometimes closes earlier than the park, so you may want to check the Times Guide before planning to eat dinner there.

Thanks - I'll definitely do my homework on those. This will be our first time to DHS with the little one in tow. Pizza Planet I'll really have to look into - she's a big Toy Story fan. She's all about Disney Junior these days too, so I need to do my homework. All I know about the stage show is that it exists! :rotfl:

Starring Rolls for lunch, but go early. It closes early (around 4:00), but it can run out of items earlier than that and they are not replenished. Sandwiches and great cupcakes.

It's just been announced that Hollywood Brown Derby will have a lounge in the current patio area with appetizers and the full restaurant menu available. No reservations, no dining plan credits accepted, but will accept TiW. I think this would be a good choice because we think HBD has the best food in DHS.

Keep checking online daily to see if any reservations open up for the TS restaurants because people will cancel as their plans change.

at DHS we enjoy the sandwiches and cupcakes at Starring Rolls Café - the sandwiches come out around 11:30 am.

We also tried the Studio Catering place (that we refer to as the 'ton of bricks' place) for the first time in September and enjoyed it.

It's been years since we've been to DHS - somehow the other parks won out the past few trips. DH still refers to the park as MGM... :)

It seems there aren't any dinner reservations to be found on the day we're planning to go so I thought to look into the CS options. I thought there's no one better to ask than my friends on the DIS that I've been away from for too long!:wave2: So - Where do you aim to grab lunch or dinner at DHS?

Our favorite is Backlot Express.

My favorite CS at DHS is The Backlot Express, it is located next to Star Tours. The Backlot offers some unique sandwich options including my favorite, turkey, arugula and roasted red pepper melt.

I had this today. In my opinion it was o.k., but didn't seem to me to have much flavor. Maybe they didn't give me enough peppers and arugula?

But I will tell you what - I am glad I only ordered the sandwich with no sides. I'm a big boy/big eater and felt just the sandwich was almost too much. Very filling. If I had ordered it with the fries I would have wanted to split it with someone.

We always enjoy backlot express, we get a cupcake and we personally like the buffalo chicken nuggets here. We also like that they have a self serve refill station.

At starring rolls the sandwiches are pre made and you can't order it without sauce or condiments which doesn't work for my picky eaters.

We would prefer at TS but find we are not impressed with the TS choices and prefer not to waste our money.

So backlot express for us or snacking at carts for lunch and dinner.

Pizza Planet is not themed to Toy Story. It just has games downstairs. But if you like a meatball sandwich or Disney pizza and arcade games it is the place for you.

We look over the menus ahead of time.... It is always challenging for our family to find a fav place in HS.

I'll be honest - it has always surprised me the amount of love shown on this board for Starring Rolls. It's pre made sandwiches and over frosted cupcakes; not at all my idea of good eats.

OP, at MGM (yes, I still call it that too! Lol) the pickings are a bit slim - I either go to 50s Primetime for the fried chicken or wait to eat until I leave the park.

I have always been rather disappointed in CS choices in DHS. We have tried all of the CS places and none of them have stuck out in my mind. We end up going to Backlot Express since we just seem to be in that area when we are ready to eat something. But I think I actually liked Pizza Planet the best (food wise).

But I do loving Starring Rolls for a snack. My son loves the chocolate croissant. I love the apple turnover.

We've always liked Backlot Express.

For our next trip, our plan is to try Hollywood Brown Derby's new Lounge. No ADRs - walk-up only and small plates/apps menu. We probably will order off the regular menu too as that's is also offered. It sounds great...even may just stop by for dessert too!

This has got to be one of the most asked questions on the DIS. No other park gets as little CS love as DHS.

That said, I think there are a few places worth trying especially for first timers who haven't had a chance to get sick of the DHS offerings.

Starring Rolls has great pastries but limited selection for the actual meal.

Pizza Planet has run of the mill pizza but it isn't that bad for a lunch especially since you get a decent salad with it.

Backlot Express is our new favourite with decent variety. You can grab a burger, a salad or a sandwich and all are pretty good quality. There are even nuggets for the crowd that likes them.

Studio Catering is more focused on sandwiches so we prefer Backlot Express.

Fairfaxe Faire is similar to Flame Tree BBQ at AK with its chicken and ribs focus but on our one trip we found the food to be of inferior quality. Still, it was only one visit so we may have had a bad day.

Only DHS CS I can speak to is Pizza Planet and we hated it. Not recognizable from the movie, typical CS pizza, limited seating especially if you go during a prime time. I'm sure there are better CS options around.

The 2 best lunches at HS are the Ceasar Salad at Catalina Eddie's and the Italian Sausage at Min and Bill's Dockside Diner.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter