DHS Actual Opening Time & When RotR Boarding Groups Are Full Tracking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ariel620

DIS Veteran
I’m starting this thread to track what time HS actually opens so that people can do their best to not miss rope drop, but also not wait 4 hours for the park to open if it actually opens at its scheduled time. There are other threads dedicated to discussion. This thread should just be for posting the date and time of opening so people can find the info without scrolling through hundreds of posts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Updated 12/17/2019. All times are approximate.

Scheduled Park OpeningActual Park OpeningBoarding Groups AvailableAll Boarding Groups FilledElapsed Time to Fill All Groups
Thursday, December 5, 20198:00 AM< 5:30 AM< 5:30 AM8:30 AMn/a
Friday, December 6, 20199:00 AM6:09 AM6:09 AM8:26 AM2:17
Saturday, December 7, 20199:00 AM6:36 AM6:36 AM8:53 AM2:17
Sunday, December 8, 20196 - 8:00 am EMH, 8:00 am opening6:05 AM7:19 AM7:56 AM0:37
Monday, December 9, 20198:00 AM6:27 AM6:27 AM8:30 AM2:03
Tuesday, December 10, 20198:00 AM6:30 AM6:30 AM8:40 AM2:10
Wednesday, December 11, 20198:00 AM6:31 AM6:31 AM7:45 AM1:14
Thursday, December 12, 20197:00 AM6:35 AM6:35 AM7:20 AM0:45
Friday, December 13, 20197:00 AM6:40 AM6:40 AM7:59 AM1:19
Saturday, December 14, 20197:00 AM6:18 AM
*lightning
6:18 AM7:44 AM1:26
Sunday, December 15, 20197:00 AM6:20 AM6:20 AM7:25 AM1:05
Monday, December 16, 20197:00 AM6:25 AM6:25 AM7:35 AM1:10
Tuesday, December 17, 20197:00 AM6:42 AM6:42 AM7:42 AM1:00
Wednesday, December 18, 20197:00 AM6:32 AM7:00 AM9:00 AM2:00
Thursday, December 19, 20197:00 AM
Friday, December 20, 20197:00 AM
Saturday, December 21, 20197:00 AM
Sunday, December 22, 20197:00 AM
Monday, December 23, 20197:00 AM
Tuesday, December 24, 20197:00 AM
Wednesday, December 25, 20197:00 AM
Thursday, December 26, 20196:00 AM
Friday, December 27, 20196:00 AM
Saturday, December 28, 20196:00 AM
Sunday, December 29, 20196:00 AM
Monday, December 30, 20196:00 AM
Tuesday, December 31, 20196:00 AM

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks to @Ariel620’s excellent and timely idea, this thread is for keeping a handy and easy to find tally on DHS park opening times and when Boarding Groups are filling each day.

One of the main goals of the Theme Parks Attractions & Strategies board is to be a useful planning resource for those visiting WDW. When the park opens and how quickly Boarding Groups are filling up are useful planning data points as DISers craft their arrival strategy.

There are other operational data points about Boarding Groups that may be interesting in terms of ride throughput and operating history, but for now they don’t have much planning value and are generally difficult to track with 100% accuracy / reliability.

Primary discussion about DHS morning operations and Boarding Group experiences is occurring in this thread: https://www.disboards.com/threads/r...for-rotr-only-post-2746-day-6-begins.3763339/

Off topic posts or posts better fitting for a new or existing thread may be removed or moved at the discretion of the moderators.

As this new Boarding Group procedure evolves, we'll continue to monitor/evaluate best methods to track reliable information that may be relevant for RotR ride planning.

Thanks everyone.

One thing that might be helpful is charting guest arrival times for the first BG and last BG. In other words, we know when groups became available and when they stopped, but it would be helpful to know what time that means you have to arrive at the park. The opening time seems to be less relevant than when you arrive since there's a line, at least until the line flushes.

With the exception of EMH, Park Open and Boarding Groups Available have been at the same time. How long does it take to flush the queue of really early arrivals (e.g. 5am) from the time the park opens? Has that been consistent?

I'm trying to see if, as news gets out and crowds pick up for Christmas, we might need to keep arriving earlier to get the equivalent boarding group? For example, BGs have never filled before 7:30am. If you arrive at 6:30am, what are the odds of having to wait an hour to get through security and scan in?

One thing that might be helpful is charting guest arrival times for the first BG and last BG. In other words, we know when groups became available and when they stopped, but it would be helpful to know what time that means you have to arrive at the park. The opening time seems to be less relevant than when you arrive since there's a line, at least until the line flushes.

With the exception of EMH, Park Open and Boarding Groups Available have been at the same time. How long does it take to flush the queue of really early arrivals (e.g. 5am) from the time the park opens? Has that been consistent?

I'm trying to see if, as news gets out and crowds pick up for Christmas, we might need to keep arriving earlier to get the equivalent boarding group? For example, BGs have never filled before 7:30am. If you arrive at 6:30am, what are the odds of having to wait an hour to get through security and scan in?
Sure. We just need a volunteer to wait outside Studios at 4:00a to chart when the first guest arrives to line up.

trying to understand exactly what you want in the chart? you want the chart to show when do people arrive related to what bg they receive? this is actually answered on the main RotR procedures thread.
As for the initial flush of guests that arrive early, the crowds thin out within 10 min of park opening, which can be seen in the chart.

trying to understand exactly what you want in the chart? you want the chart to show when do people arrive related to what bg they receive? this is actually answered on the main RotR procedures thread.
As for the initial flush of guests that arrive early, the crowds thin out within 10 min of park opening, which can be seen in the chart.

I guess the high level is: The time boarding groups are activated is less actionable than the time you need to be at the park to get that first boarding pass. As crowds change, the time you need to get to the park will change. Heck, Christmas week, you might need to be there at 3am, but the chart wouldn't show that.

Take today, for example: We're seeing everything was filled roughly an hour faster than other days. Was there a much bigger line at open? Did people start arriving even earlier, as more people know how the system works? Or was something else at play here?

The chart is awesome. I was just brainstorming on how we could help, over time, guide HS arrival times better.

Sure. We just need a volunteer to wait outside Studios at 4:00a to chart when the first guest arrives to line up.

Judging from the main thread, we seem to have plenty of "spies" providing that rough information. But point taken. :-)

I guess the high level is: The time boarding groups are activated is less actionable than the time you need to be at the park to get that first boarding pass. As crowds change, the time you need to get to the park will change. Heck, Christmas week, you might need to be there at 3am, but the chart wouldn't show that.

Take today, for example: We're seeing everything was filled roughly an hour faster than other days. Was there a much bigger line at open? Did people start arriving even earlier, as more people know how the system works? Or was something else at play here?

The chart is awesome. I was just brainstorming on how we could help, over time, guide HS arrival times better.
yeah the thing is we don't have those types of numbers.
The park opening times are determined by Disney operations.
The number of bg are determined by Disney operations
the number of people in each bg is determined by Disney operations
None of these, other than opening time, we have at our disposal. Like I've said many times on the thread, if riding RotR is important to join just get there as early as you possibly can, 2 hours in advance or more
Today there seemed to be more people but also I believe they are counting on the people that they had to give fp yesterday
Like hiromyhero said, we would need someone there every day keeping track

TouringPlans has a post today with times direct from the API including a little more color on the break point between boarding groups and backup boarding groups. It's on the free part of their website: https://touringplans.com/blog/2019/12/19/rise-of-the-resistance-boarding-groups/

I'm not sure I understand the part of the chart covering "first group" open and close that including a boarding group number and then a start time and end time. Is that just when the author joined a BG and what BG he got? What does the close time represent?
Anyway, I didn't know about the back-up groups, so the post taught me something.

I'm not sure I understand the part of the chart covering "first group" open and close that including a boarding group number and then a start time and end time. Is that just when the author joined a BG and what BG he got? What does the close time represent?
Anyway, I didn't know about the back-up groups, so the post taught me something.
The First Group is the first boarding group number Disney distributed that day. Touringplans seems to have an automated tool that scrapes information from Disney's app (by that I mean they built a program that checks MDE every however many seconds to see what it says). Nothing from the table is coming from someone's actual real life getting a boarding group, it all comes from the data.

Hey what happened to Thurs. and Friday of this week. I check this thread out all the time. Love it! Are you still posting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter