Destash 2022 Time to eject the dreck!

Filled a 15 yard dumpster these past couple of days from our garage and crawlspace clean out. Also got rid of an old love seat, office chair, metal filing cabinets, plastic landscape border and much more. It's getting picked up this morning. Next week I scheduled a donation pick up for Purple Heart Foundation / Green Drop. More stuff heading out!

I just took a pile of assorted stuff to Goodwill. Usually, I do a lot of cleaning and purging over my summer break. I haven’t done that this summer, and I’m feeling guilty. Maybe this week…

10/40 times of rehoming items.

I just remembered that last month, we gave a bed frame, dresser, and mirror to a family member. I can’t believe I forgot about that. The furniture was just taking up space, so we were happy to see it go.

11/40 times of rehoming items

Got sidelined by some unexpected house guests, but managed a few things.

2 more broken lawn chairs (funny, when you buy them all at the same time they rip out at the same time)
Some clothing that was so old the elastics wore out (unfortunately non-fixable and no good for rags)
Another book
A few assorted bits

Total: 375 items

I sorted through two boxes of old picture frames and stuff this morning, and I plan to keep the momentum going.

always pull apart old picture frames to see if anything is inside them. some older generations used them as a form of 'in home safety deposit box' for old vital documents, savings bonds and even cash. didn't find any of that going through family member's frames to trash but when i went to reframe a charcoal portrait of my great grandfather that had been in the same frame for close to 100 years discovered the only photo we can determine exists of my great grandmother!

...when i went to reframe a charcoal portrait of my great grandfather that had been in the same frame for close to 100 years discovered the only photo we can determine exists of my great grandmother!

What an excellent stroke of luck!!

I did take the photos out of any frames that I didn't need anymore, if just to put them in a book instead. I didn't find money or documents either, but like you, I did find a couple of extra photos behind more current ones. One I found especially interesting because it's my mom in a crowd - like she was watching a parade or something. I think (I was pretty young) that it was a newspaper photo of the event, and someone on the staff must have made a print of it for her.

What an excellent stroke of luck!!

I did take the photos out of any frames that I didn't need anymore, if just to put them in a book instead. I didn't find money or documents either, but like you, I did find a couple of extra photos behind more current ones. One I found especially interesting because it's my mom in a crowd - like she was watching a parade or something. I think (I was pretty young) that it was a newspaper photo of the event, and someone on the staff must have made a print of it for her.

awsome! i made a couple of cousins very happy when i was going through some of my mom's boxes of stuff and found that she had never tossed any of the school pictures she received over the years in christmas cards. come to find out my cousins had no copies of these photos b/c their mom only bought the little ones to send out in cards. i was thinking the other day about going through some of my old photo albums and pulling some photos of high school friends i'm still in contact with to offer up them. my kids will have no clue who these people are and i bet my old friend's kids and grandkids would get a kick out seeing them from back in the day.

always pull apart old picture frames to see if anything is inside them. some older generations used them as a form of 'in home safety deposit box' for old vital documents, savings bonds and even cash. didn't find any of that going through family member's frames to trash but when i went to reframe a charcoal portrait of my great grandfather that had been in the same frame for close to 100 years discovered the only photo we can determine exists of my great grandmother!
Such a good idea and reminder. Both of my parents put money in books, especially the larger books. we had a huge brown dictionary, I mean HUGE, and there was several bills in it. I went through a lot of books when we cleaned out their house, but I also had a friend helping, and not sure she did. Wish I'd reminded her. THey also put pictures in books sometimes, and always had a couple of pictures behind the main one in the frames. I too have lots of old school pictures of my cousins, their nieces and nephews, that I should see if anyone wants.
Thank you for this reminder!!

In saying this, I still somehow have a pile of unwanted shoes under the bed, and my wardrobe is overflowing. It might not be much, but I'll be keeping myself accountable by this post!

I finally tackled my wardrobe this weekend! I removed three bags of clothes - two to donate, one to sell online. A while ago I removed everything from under the bed, so I also have several pairs of shoes that need listing for sale.

I'm giving myself a self-imposed deadline of October 1st to have it all out of the flat... see you all then!

Last edited:
My siblings & I are cleaning out our parents house. Mom died 2 months ago & was a semi hoarder. One sister lived there the last several years to help care for our parents. She will stay there until she retires at the end of 2023. So we have time to clean everything out. We decided to meet there 1 day a month & try to blitz a room at a time. We did our first room 2 weeks ago. It was a small bedroom completely filled with old clothes, linens, at least 20 rolls of wrapping paper, plus Knick knacks stuff mom brought from her aunts house when she died 30 years ago. You literally couldn’t walk into the room. The only things in there now are the bed, a hope chest (still filled) and 2 desks. Most of it got trashed, several bags were donated & siblings took a few things.

So now I am getting back to cleaning out my own house. Nothing major yet, but in the last few weeks I have shredded a folder of medical paper work, several old financial & insurance papers, 10 years of tax returns with accompanying documents and an envelope of shopping receipts. I gave 8 uniforms tops to a family member. I also have a bag ready for donating with some clothes, 2 baskets I have no need for & 2 pairs of shoes. I also pulled a small box out of our storage area… it had my sons old action figures & a few other broken toys. Most got trashed, but DS took some that he thought he might be able to sell online.

A little at a time.…..

Flea market weekend is over, and I did very well - got rid of far more than I "rescued" this year. 🤣

Donated at least six boxes of stuff, came home with a few books for my honorary niece and nephew, a hand-crafted necklace for my suster-in-law, a pretty dish, and a little bag. Not a bad "trade-down" at all!

Gave my niece some tools, a toolbox and drawer cabinet from our garage clean up. Donated 21 bags and boxes of clothes and household goods to Purple Heart/Green Drop. More clothes in the attic but that will wait for the next time.

Another book, and I finished off one of those bottles of product that I've been trying to get through. I also managed to return some paperwork to someone who's left it sitting at my place for a couple years. Any progress is good progress!
Total: 380 items

It has been a slow go but we finally have the garage cleaned out! And hubby is finally onboard with decluttering. Can you imagine, he can actually find things in the garage? The basement is next on our list, We agreed to start back up after Labor Day. Until then, I will continue to declutter the house. One room at a time! It really is so motivating when you get a room done and you know where everything is and what you have!

Got a little more done the last few weeks. An old laptop, it’s 2 batteries, the external battery charger & all the charging cords were recycled. A couple of old ice cube trays got tossed. A tee shirt given to me a few years ago but I never wore went to a relative. I continue to shred old paper work…. 8 more years of tax returns & documents plus 5 more folders of reports from our meetings with our retirement account advisor. Two old insulated bags trashed.

We have another small room cleared out at my mom’s. Currently shredding even more of their bank statements from 20 years ago. More determined than ever my kids won’t have to do that.

A little at a time…..

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter