Dessert recipes for a large party??

TwingleMum

DIS Veteran
I usually make an eclair cake for a large crowd but I'm bored with it any suggestions?? My family of course are chocolate fans but I'm open to any suggestions. Thanks

About 75 but there will be other desserts there. Of course my family are big dessert lovers. The party is in 2 weeks. Thanks, I'm blanking.

Have a look on Recipezaar - they have some great ideas and you can sort by various options such as low fat, party food etc.

A big bowl of fruit salad is always a good standby - if you don't want to prepare it just mix loads of tins together :blush:

A lot depends on the weather (its really hot here at present) and how much fridge space you have, and how much you want to be disposable (plates etc.)

Or take a tip from the French and buy classy desserts from a patisserie!

I love this cake we call "Punch Bowl" cake. It serves a crowd and can be made ahead--two good things in my book. It is easy too.

Bake a chocolate cake in a 9x 13 in. pan according to package directions and cool.
Prepare 2 large boxes of instant chocolate pudding according to package directions.
Use a large punch bowl--a clear one is really pretty. Cut the cake into 2 in. squares and put a layer on the bottom of bowl. Add a layer of pudding. then a layer of Cool-whip, sprinkle with chopped Heath candy bars. Repeat. You should make about 3 complete layers--ending with a thick layer of Cool-whip. Seal all the way to the edges. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight. So yummy
I have varied this using different candy bars. Peanut butter cups and Snickers are terrific too. I have also done it using spice cake, vanilla pudding, and apple pie filling and toffee pieces for a fall dessert. I hope you like it!
Deb

I make pineapple puffs for large family gatherings. They are real easy to make and you don't have to turn on the oven. It's basicly Stella D'oro cookies (Anginetti) with a filling of Cream cheese,Cool whip and crushed pineapple. Very refreshing in the summer. :goodvibes

Oreo pudding dessert. I only make it for large get togethers because it makes so much.

two boxes of French Vanilla Pudding, one box of vanilla. Mix according to package directions. Fold in a tub of Cool Whip. Crush one package of Oreo cookies and mix together.

I find it best to refrigerate for a couple of hours before serving, but you can serve right away.

daksmom11 said:
I make pineapple puffs for large family gatherings. They are real easy to make and you don't have to turn on the oven. It's basicly Stella D'oro cookies (Anginetti) with a filling of Cream cheese,Cool whip and crushed pineapple. Very refreshing in the summer. :goodvibes

daksmom,
how much cream cheese do you use? and a full can of pineapple? and do you spread the filling inbetween the cookies?

thanks

I have two that are great

This one is great because it can be made ahead of time and when frozen it travels well.
Mousse Pie (Could be chocolate but lemon is great too, especially for the summer)

1 large box of instant pudding or two small ones.(Any flavor)
1 12 oz of cool whip (could be lite or fat free) Thawed
1 graham cracker crust
2 1/2 cups of milk

Mix pudding and milk until smooth. It will be thick. Add about 2/3 of the cool whip and mix until blended. Pour into crust. Cover and freeze. Use the leftover cool whip on the side.

This next one is very easy also and I made it up this morning for a 4th of July party.

1 Angel Food cake
1 12 oz of cool whip (any type, but lite or fat free is best here)
1 1/2 cups of strawberry yogurt (I like the fat free)
2 cups of strawberrries
1 cup of blueberries
1/8 cup of sugar (more if the berries are tart)
1/2 cup of strawberry ice cream topping or jelly

Cut cake and layer in a 9 x 13 in pan. Sprinkle sugar over berries and add the topping or jelly. Mix yogurt and cool whip. Today I put the yogurt/ cool whip mix down first and then put the berries on top. I think it would have been better to put the berries down first and then the yogurt/cool whip and then top with some extra berries.

THis was a great experiment that went over really well. Most of it was gone by the time I left.

I use a serated knife and slice the tops of cookies. Then fill about a large tablespoon of filling and replace top.
1 tub of cool whip
1 8 oz package of cream cheese (softened to room temp)
1 16 oz can of crushed pineapple
2 packages cookies
It makes about 48 puffs, and can be easily doubbled.
Make sure to refridgerate untill your ready to serve. This recipe used to be on the package but it hasn't been for awhile.

Thanks for the suggestions!! The pineapple puffs sound interesting . And I know they would love the punchbowl cake.

daksmom11 said:
I use a serated knife and slice the tops of cookies. Then fill about a large tablespoon of filling and replace top.
1 tub of cool whip
1 8 oz package of cream cheese (softened to room temp)
1 16 oz can of crushed pineapple
2 packages cookies
It makes about 48 puffs, and can be easily doubbled.
Make sure to refridgerate untill your ready to serve. This recipe used to be on the package but it hasn't been for awhile.

thanks daksmom,
they sound delicious!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter