Dessert only ADR?

donutday

Mouseketeer
There are a few signature restaurants where I would like to go late in the evening just for a dessert. We don't drink alcohol, so the bars probably won't be a good option for us. If we make a late ADR, is just ordering dessert frowned upon since we might be taking a table that would otherwise be a full dinner tab?

It's your reservation and how you decide to spend your money is up to you. I don't think they'd be happy if you tried to just order water but have your cake (and eat it too). :)

I’m sure you’re not alone! Eat you cake and don’t worry what others think. The server probably won’t mind since they might get another group after your seating too that if you were doing just dinner might notnhappen

I wouldn't do that to the waitstaff, personally, unless you are going to give them a disproportionate-sized tip. At signature restaurants especially, they give the waitstaff very few tables at a time so they can give more attention to each table, so if you are tipping based on the size of a dessert-only check, it is a little hard on them.

Also, not sure why a lounge would not be a good option if you don't drink. Disney lounges are very family friendly.

Thanks for all the perspectives. I have always hesitated to do this, even at home, for the reason MomOTwins mentioned, but recently I read about people doing "Dessert Hops" around the monorail resorts and Epcot similar to bar hopping. I am not interested in that, but just one dessert, later in the evening after the dinner rush. I rarely eat dessert with my meal, but there are a few that sound very tempting that I would like to try on their own. I may try doing a walk in: if there are tables available, I wouldn't feel as if I were taking a table that might have gotten a full dinner order.

As for the lounges, I just feel there is an expectation--even at Disney--especially late in the evening, that a lounge is really a bar and the purpose is to go there and drink, rather than eat. I would feel a little uncomfortable with that.

I'd totally order just a dessert at the lounge! Drinking is not expected, and that would free you up from needing an ADR. I've had my kids at a bar with me at some lounges, so they ordered a soft drink only. It's perfectly fine to not drink.

I agree that it is completely fine to go to the lounge and just order desserts and soft drinks. I've taken my kids and have done that very thing. I would not feel comfortable making a reservation and just getting dessert because, like other posters have said, it takes away the opportunity for the server to get a table ordering a meal, drinks, etc. This is how they make their living and unless you are going to tip a really disproportionate amount, it is just not fair to the server.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter