Deluxe room prices are outrageous!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The GOOD part about Disney prices is how cheap other resorts seem in comparison. We're in the process of booking a hotel for a family wedding, and when I told everyone the one I was looking at (a Waldorf Astoria), they all said "but that one's so EXPENSIVE!" And I said "No it's not, it's about the price of a moderate, nowhere near deluxe!" :lmao:

Never, never will I pay the prices today for deluxe at Disney. I did have the chance to stay deluxe many years ago when the rates seemed more reasonable relatively speaking. It's nice to do it, but no way, now.

I think of it as having two trips to Disney going value resort compared to one trip going deluxe. We use our room to sleep mostly. We want to be in the parks, not at the resort.

This last year we stayed off site because we had our dog with us. I will probably never kennel my dog overnight. I felt we got to the parks quicker with our car versus staying at a value or a moderate in most instances. We were a little beyond the Downtown Disney area. Our resort offered us a kitchen, living room and bedroom for less than a value at Disney. We received a great breakfast and we even had three dinners at the resort included. I would consider the dinners on par with quick service, but it was all you can eat. I really liked it and Disney is slowly losing me as a resort customer.

There are rumors that the free dining promo for the fall of 2013 is going to be downgraded for the moderates and deluxe and non-existant for the values. This will turn me away in a hurry from Disney resorts. When I do Disney resorts it's been with free dining at the values and we pay for the upgrade to get the regular plan. We've done it this way for about 6 years, now.

We all have choices as to how to spend our monies. Once you get to the park you are no different looking because you are staying at a deluxe versus a value resort. I've come to the conclusion we rather have two trips to Disney then one which we can do by staying at a cheaper resort. Each to their own, I guess.

We have stayed Deluxe (AKL) but with big discounts. Feeling like I was on an African safari was worth it to me...what Waldorf can give you that?
We also drive so we save money there. DH doesn't like flying anyhow.
The resort is very important to us...we like to hang out and relax.
Because of our schedules, we can't vacation every year, so we save up and like to do it big.

One of the reasons we bought into DVC back in 1999 was back then we though deluxe resort prices were too high, glad we did.

Once you get to the park you are no different looking because you are staying at a deluxe versus a value resort.

If I stayed in a Value with my family of 5, I would look like this :crazy2::crowded::scared: but by staying at deluxe villas, I look like this :tinker:

:rotfl:

Seriously though, I would honestly rather not go on vacation if it meant cramming into a single room with 3 little kids. That's not a vacation for me, it's just more stress. Being in a 2 bedroom, we have a kitchen and laundry so I can handle our family's needs easily without having to leave the room. Multiple bathrooms so if someone has a potty emergency at the same time someone else is showering or using the bathroom, we're okay. I can put the kids down for a nap or to bed and DH and I can unwind and relax in the room with a glass of wine, TV, laptop, whatever, without worrying about waking the kids. Everyone wakes up cheerful and well-rested the next day. For us, planning a nice room is an important part of the budget for any vacation. I know it isn't on everyone's list of priorities, but I would choose to not go somewhere before staying in a smaller room without the amenities we're used to.

They are very expensive at rack rate..I look for discounts.Even then they are not cheap.But we budget and scrimp and save all year so we can go..Actuallly our last trip was to Universal and those hotels are deluxe and cheap compared to what Disney charges so that is where we are staying again this August

That's the main reason we bought into the DVC at BLT. We used to stay at The GF concierge level twice a year. Now for what it used to cost, we can go twice a year till the year 2048. Our vacation club will be paid off by 2015.
Nancy princess:

We get to stay at the Polynesian only because we get a GV room 40% off but even then it just about breaks the bank since we go every year. I'm always amazed how full the deluxe resorts are or even Disney World in general, I thought our economy was in a rough spot??

I have to agree with OP, and in trying to plan our June visit, I kept saying the same thing over and over. I would love to experience a dlx stay, but for us, I can’t justify the added costs over a value/moderate. We can afford it if we wanted, but there are so many other things I can see where that money would be better spent for us – even on another vacation/getaway later in the year.

I understand it’s all about preference and choice – I’m only expressing our feelings.

I’ve watched the prices of all things WDW increase, and I was telling my other half the day is around the corner when a WDW vacation isn’t going to make sense anymore financially – a lot of other choices out there. We’ve discussed a deluxe and both understand Disney will charge what people are willing to pay.

The one Disney regret I have – when Disney did the buy 4 get 3 free a number of years ago – that was the year to stay deluxe. I looked backed at my notes and a savannah view at AK at that time looks awfully affordable now! I wished I had known what I was passing up back then – but o well....

Op here. I did not mean to imply that people shouldn't pay the rates to stay deluxe. It's America and everyone has a right to spend their money the way they want. I just cannot justify spending $500/night on a hotel. I know location and staying on property is very preferable but we usually stay 7 nights and with tickets and food and souvenirs, the trip would cost of around $7500 (not including airfare). We have been going yearly for 7 years now and the prices sure have gone up. I know it's supply and demand and if people will pay these prices, disney will just continue to raise the price. I just think the nightly rack rate at the deluxes have gotten out of hand.

bonjovi said:
to each their own, really.

last year, we stayed at the poly with a 30% discount. so far, this year, we are getting 20% for our stay in April but we may consider annual passes if it saves on the room, since we plan on returning in 2014 with our twins before they are 3 years old.

I can't imagine paying the airfare that some people pay to get to Disney. I pay $650 total, round trip to get to Orlando for 4 of us. it's all relative.....

So true about being relative! Our aifare for four in October was $1,854 plus bag fees. Its always at least $1500.

We also like long trips ten nights minimum. And we go yearly, usually more than once.

So for us, deluxes are out of the question right now, discount or not.

Many factors go into to all of our resort choices!

cmhguy said:
I have to agree with OP, and in trying to plan our June visit, I kept saying the same thing over and over. I would love to experience a dlx stay, but for us, I can’t justify the added costs over a value/moderate. We can afford it if we wanted, but there are so many other things I can see where that money would be better spent for us – even on another vacation/getaway later in the year.

I understand it’s all about preference and choice – I’m only expressing our feelings.

I’ve watched the prices of all things WDW increase, and I was telling my other half the day is around the corner when a WDW vacation isn’t going to make sense anymore financially – a lot of other choices out there. We’ve discussed a deluxe and both understand Disney will charge what people are willing to pay.

The one Disney regret I have – when Disney did the buy 4 get 3 free a number of years ago – that was the year to stay deluxe. I looked backed at my notes and a savannah view at AK at that time looks awfully affordable now! I wished I had known what I was passing up back then – but o well....

I agree. That year of 4/3 we decided to be smart (also went with family that didn't want to pay a high price) and stayed value. A month before we left dh and I realized we were passing up a GOLDEN opportunity, so we attempted to switch to WL. It was available for us, but inlaws couldn't with their dates, so we stayed put at the value.

Still makes me sad. And it was a miserable trip.

Everybody is different with what they want out of a resort. I've stayed at Deluxe and at Value (suites only, though, so my perspective is probably a bit different). What I like about the value suite at AoA is the separate sleeping space for my husband and I. Having all five of us in one room at a deluxe isn't the ideal situation. The deluxe amenities are lost on my kids, so for family vacations I'm happy with the suites. If my husband and I went alone, we'd definitely go deluxe and stay club level.

I learned a long time ago that all hotel rooms look the same when I'm asleep, which is about all we use a room for while at WDW.

I think this year we will try an off-site stay.

I also think it's outrageous. We're staying onsite (value) this time because the kids are young and we don't want to rent a car, but next time we go, we'll rent at Windsor Hill. For the price of one night in a deluxe, you get a week there! In a full house with a private pool!

I agree that the deluxe prices (rack rate) are ridiculous. I would never pay $500 a night full price to stay anywhere.

If you had a good room discount or free dining, maybe.

I paid $230 a night to stay in a value suite and thought that was really high for the quality of the room.

You CAN stay at a deluxe for a fraction of the cost by renting DVC points.

I think that is what we are going to do on our next trip.

We can rent 64 DVC points @ $13 per point and stay a week at OKW for $832 in a room that books for $350 a night to cash paying customers.

I know not everyone can rent DVC points because they may need to cancel or something may come up and they would lose their money, but it is always an option for anybody wanting to try deluxe on the cheap.

On our 2014 trip we may rent DVC points and stay at the Beach Club.

But if anybody is willing to go stay at a deluxe and pay full price with no discounts more power to them. Disney loves ppl like that.

I agree prices are crazy.

our flights for this year are over $5k,no way could we then pay asking prices for deluxe accommodation.

the first time we stayed onsite was at okw in 2 bed Vila,didn't realise at the time the price was discounted!
if we had booked same accommodation this year,would be over $8k,sadly not quite within our means!

I think it's lovely if people can afford to stay deluxe,and obviously folk do pay the prices Disney ask.
:)

I learned a long time ago that all hotel rooms look the same when I'm asleep, which is about all we use a room for while at WDW.

I think this year we will try an off-site stay.

I agree rates are too high. I also agree that I'd only stay deluxe witha discount.

That said, we find that when we stay at the values - which we do - we tend to use our room as this poster does- mostly just a place to sleep. When we stay at the better hotels, we find we take advatange of that the resort has to offer. Like if I'm staying at the Poly, I'm going to eat there.

A couple of additional points is that I am very willing to modify the length of our visits, especially if I find a great deal on travel costs to get to WDW.

A second important point to make is that we're very flexible on the idea of split stays. So maybe we spend most of the trp in a value resort, but just a night of two deluxe. It especially does not make sense to pay for a deluxe resort if you have a very late arrival or ealy departure, say. If you pack accordingly, it's no big deal to move toa different resort. It does take some time, but not that much- if you can manage a day bag. It also helps if you have a car. IT REALLY makes sense to consider a split stay if you want to visit any place in Orlando other than WDW - like Universal, Sea World, the beach, Cape Canaveral, St. Augustine, shopping, etc.

all that said...I do think Disney does give you something for the money. Truly, I like the variety of staying in different places on property.

Yep, they sure are....can't wait to get back to the Poly this summer! LOL :cool1:

I was thinking of staying at a deluxe and priced out the contemporary-Garden room. I always thought they were "cheap". I just checked for our dates in November and they are $487/night. I could not believe it. It's not Thanksgiving week either. The other deluxe resorts prices are outrageous as well. I can't believe disney can find people to pay these prices.
Its all relative. Trust me....they are always pretty darn full. To a lot of people...they are "normal' prices.
I do agree though...ALL rooms are the same whe one is sleeping....We almost always use the values so we can spend more in parks,,I.E.
But, I'm middle class. If i were making more money, id join the club of deluxe resort folk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!