DeeVeeCee

The fact that she polarizes people into LOVE and HATE camps pretty much says she's the worst marketting tool Disney could employ. Those that love her may watch her presentations if they don't have something else to do. Those that hate her will do ANYTHING else but watch her presentation. Basic common sense, let marketting school, says that fracturing of an audience is an idiotic concept, particularly when they have so many Disney characters they could use that would unite and attact customers.

It's DISNEY Vacation Club and there's nothing about DeeVeeCee that says Disney.

Think using her shows a condescending attitude to DVC members, as if management envisions us all that way. UGH!

She shows up in the DVC magazine which reminds me that I hate the way the magazine is written, as if for a third grader. They try so hard to be funny and make stupid puns--'Diary of a Wimpy Kid' is more intelligently written...

Really, I mean REALLY....this must emotion over a character at Disney???

I have been to DHS so many times and many of their street characters can be annoying if you had to live with them but here at Disney, they are a freakin' blast!!!

DeeVeeCee is no different, she is playing the role and entertaining many and probably some folks walk away shaking their head just like at DHS.

She is totally playing the part...she does not talk like that in real life, trust me I know! I agree with a previous poster she is like a Peg Bundy...really let's not get our panties all in a bunch over a character.

That's just my two cents....relax, have a drink, it will all be fine!! :goodvibes

I have been to DHS so many times and many of their street characters can be annoying if you had to live with them but here at Disney, they are a freakin' blast!!!

DeeVeeCee is no different, she is playing the role and entertaining many and probably some folks walk away shaking their head just like at DHS.

She is totally playing the part...she does not talk like that in real life, trust me I know! I agree with a previous poster she is like a Peg Bundy...really let's not get our panties all in a bunch over a character.

That's just my two cents....relax, have a drink, it will all be fine!! :goodvibes

Its this attitude that let the JL's of the world use such a caricature to openly mock the very customer base they were making money on hand over fist.

I see so many posts in other threads by people who don't seem to realize it is an actress doing an acting job.
Not a "real person".
The same actress was in at least one of the webcasts I saw, playing it straight, and no one seemed to recognize here, even after I pointed it out.
Doc said she is a character on Main Street, and othere things.

As "hated" as the character may be, she is acting. Doing a job, apparently well. If it is JL who thought her up, we should see the end of that character.

I am fully aware she is just a person play a part, thing is it is a part that makes me want to leave a room. The part is just a poor one, but I know we all need to make a living. With any luck the part will go away like Jim Lewis did.

She reminds me of Peggy Bundy (from Married with Children). I can see why she annoys many people, but take her as entertainment. Be glad that she isn't part of your family.

She seems to be more suited to Universal Studios than Disney to me....

oh my gosh, you are right, she does. :rotfl:

On the Boardwalk, she would be funny.

On the streets of the Studios, funny.

DVC spokesperson, not funny.

We all understand completely she is playing a part, we are not upset with her for doing her job playing her part, we are upset that DVC, specifically Jim Lewis, thought she was an appropriate spokesperson just as many of think Disney Files is waste of good paper.

People can and discuss things they don't agree with, it does not mean we need to chill out or have a drink it simply means we don't agree. I see no emotion in this thread, and I can assure you none of us that don't care for her protrayal as the voice of DVC, have lost any sleep over it.

On the Boardwalk, she would be funny.

On the streets of the Studios, funny.

DVC spokesperson, not funny.

We all understand completely she is playing a part, we are not upset with her for doing her job playing her part, we are upset that DVC, specifically Jim Lewis, thought she was an appropriate spokesperson just as many of think Disney Files is waste of good paper.

People can and discuss things they don't agree with, it does not mean we need to chill out or have a drink it simply means we don't agree. I see no emotion in this thread, and I can assure you none of us that don't care for her protrayal as the voice of DVC, have lost any sleep over it.

I agree Sammie :woohoo: No Sleep loss here, Just felt insulted by the character that was being portrayed and quite honestly a little embarassed by her. It is one of those things where you watch for a few minutes and then say "I gotta shut this off and I can't stand to see her do this (realizing of course that she is an actress)".

Just a side note to you.... I saw that you posted that you were insulted about JL saying that members couldn't do banking correctly. How was it done before? We are only members for a few years and honestly we used our points so quickly we haven't had to bank but I was curious as to how it was done before the 4 month rules. I don't mind banking at 4 months but I hate that I can't actually use my points in the last four months of my UY to go outside of the DVC resorts. Mostly because if I am trying to book within my last four months that is most likely because I need to rearrange a trip or something and want/need flexibility.

I am curious to see that not many people have "complained" about this change on their "notes to Claire" postings.

Just curious as to what you think.

WOW sorry I ever commented on this...shrew! Guess I better go take my 1/2 glass full Kool-Aid and go drink it with some others who play a little nicer. To throw me under the bus that my attitude and comments is what caused/allowed JL to go so off course...low blow!

I can see now why so many folks like to read the DIS but prefer not to post...it is rough out here! Gotta go before I get a black eye...

Its this attitude that let the JL's of the world use such a caricature to openly mock the very customer base they were making money on hand over fist.

Well I guess that is why I can't stand her. I grew up in eastern North Carolina and really hate anything that stereotypes people. People just assume that I'm some kind of country hick redneck just from how I sound and where I came from.

As "hated" as the character may be, she is acting. Doing a job, apparently well. If it is JL who thought her up, we should see the end of that character.

I guess the question to me is - how many sales have been lost because of her versus how many sales were made. Personally if I was presented to her during a sales presentation, I'd walk out the door.

I can see now why so many folks like to read the DIS but prefer not to post...it is rough out here! Gotta go before I get a black eye...

I must have missed it. I really didn't see any posts slamming you, just a couple disagreeing with you. That is what message boards are for. Not everybody agrees on everything. If they did, it would be a pretty boring place.

I must have missed it. I really didn't see any posts slamming you, just a couple disagreeing with you. That is what message boards are for. Not everybody agrees on everything. If they did, it would be a pretty boring place.

But I want everything to be sunshine, smiles and rainbows! That poster is all over the place with a few other late arrivals proclaiming the greatness of dvc of late. If I didnt know better...

I really fail to see how finding fault with a caricature who was created to mock the very customer base they are selling to is some kind of devisive issue. Some people dont care, and thats fine, and many more are offended. I dont see too many people who find the caricature to be a good idea.

The character works my nerves, but I'd never thought about why. After reading this thread, I think I have my answer: irony exhaustion. I'm in a business where knowing irony is a constant. That is, I work with lots of very smart young people in a *highly* competitive environment where sincerity and unabashed optimism can be in short supply. Disney, for me, is a place where those values can be enjoyed.

Deeveecee seems to me an "opportunity" to make fun of the enthusiasm and wide eyed innocence that WDW was created to celebrate.

No thanks; I gave at the office.

But that's just me -- the original reason I wrote this post was to ask: if you could design a new mascot / representative for DVC, what would it be like? A fictional person? A character? What traits would he / she / it embody? Or would you throw the idea of a persona overboard all together?

I agree Sammie :woohoo: No Sleep loss here, Just felt insulted by the character that was being portrayed and quite honestly a little embarassed by her. It is one of those things where you watch for a few minutes and then say "I gotta shut this off and I can't stand to see her do this (realizing of course that she is an actress)".

Just a side note to you.... I saw that you posted that you were insulted about JL saying that members couldn't do banking correctly. How was it done before? We are only members for a few years and honestly we used our points so quickly we haven't had to bank but I was curious as to how it was done before the 4 month rules. I don't mind banking at 4 months but I hate that I can't actually use my points in the last four months of my UY to go outside of the DVC resorts. Mostly because if I am trying to book within my last four months that is most likely because I need to rearrange a trip or something and want/need flexibility.

I am curious to see that not many people have "complained" about this change on their "notes to Claire" postings.

Just curious as to what you think.

The old banking rule was more complex. You had allowable percentages you could bank up to depending on how late it was in your use year. It may of been something like 100% at 6 months and then eventually the allowable percentage shrunk to 20% of your points at 10 months. So I think there was some allowable banking later, but you are only talking 20 points out of 100.

I just love these threads about Deevy. She's a Rorhscach inkblot for DVC owners.

We purchased a set of DVDs during the Happiest Celebration that were made in 2004 that display each of the parks. The MK video is played straight with Mickey and the other characters as hosts, but the other WDW parks are hosted by cornball characters played by Streetmospheres actors -- my DD3 was looking for the "Journey Jack" host all through AK, and we had to work hard to cover that he wouldn't be there to keep her from a meltdown...(OK, enough digression...)

The actress that plays Deevy is the host of theDHS video. She's playing an over the top 30s gossip columnist, with many of the same mannerisms that Deevy has,but a little more Hollywood glamour. She also has a part as Hester, wife of Chester, and " operator" of the Dinoland USA attraction. If you've seen her two characters that we're portrayed in 2004, you'd know that that's the type of role and humor that the actress performs well in, and is part-and-parcel of the Streetmospheres routine. Yes, it's cornball, but aren't a lot of things at Disney? The fact is she was playing roles very similar to this well before Jim Lewis became such a lightning rod -- rightfully so IMHO.

I would sooner think that Norwegians would be offended by the Maelstrom trolls, or visitors from Appalachia would bristle at Country Bears. What the reaction to Deevy -- and I thought there was rather a lot mentioned in the "Letter to Claire" -- indicates is how much JLs actions have corroded the trust of members/customers toward DVC. The grasping for every dollar at BLT, both on the purchase price end (defensible in MHO) and the cost of furnishings ( completely indefensible), the problems with housekeeping, and now the Aulani freeze are things to be upset over. JLs view of "Disneyphiles" ;) may indeed be less than flattering, but the feeling is mutual for many of us. I don't think that same view is shared by "Deevy See.". Like her or not, but don't foist your own insecurities onto her -- besides, I think "Deevy's" pretty proud of who she is.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter