Declining Service in MDR?

We just returned from our 10th cruise and have to say I was a little disappointed in our service team. We're not high maintenance by any means, but it was disappointing. The service team seemed rushed and unhappy. That along with the countless speeches on the survey made for a rather awkward and uncomfortable dining experience. We have friends going with us next year, and after raving about our previous DCL experiences, I hope they're not disappointed.
We had the same experience. Servers were just blah and kept pestering us to give them the best reviews possible. I believe Disney puts a lot of pressure on the staff to get good reviews, but it comes across as desperate. The food also was not noticeably that good either, so the whole experience was just blah. You would think that a cruise to the Mediterranean should have some inspired food from that region, but instead they had the same food that they served for our Bahamian cruise. We have decided to try out another cruise line for next summer and save money.

My approach as well. The first time it comes up, I indicate that after (now) 19 cruises on DCL, we understand the system, and one measure of excellent service is not having to listen to the reminders about the survey that we will complete at the end of the cruise. Also, I will let them know if anything is not to our satisfaction, so they don’t have to ask again if everything is okay. This approach seems to be working for us.
I like this!!! I have an especially hard time with the anxiety they seemed to portray over this, which in turn gave me anxiety. It also comes across as disingenuous at a certain point. Too rehearsed. I just wanted them to not worry about us. Going to meals stressed me out because of this toward the end when the pitches got more obvious. We skipped breakfast on disembarkation day b/c of it, in fact. They were great, so it wasn’t that. We’re just shy, non-picky people, and it felt weird for us.

There has been no decline on the Wonder. However that ship does attract the best cast members. I was not impressed by the servers on the Dream
I think it varies. We cruised on both the Fantasy and the Wonder in January. We’re much more fans of the classic ships, but our servers were far better on the Fantasy than the Wonder this time around.

I think it varies. We cruised on both the Fantasy and the Wonder in January. We’re much more fans of the classic ships, but our servers were far better on the Fantasy than the Wonder this time around.

The Fantasy keeps doing the same old boring itineraries year after year. The Wonder has the advantage of going to Alaska and going to a much wider variety of ports. Helps keep the staff around for years.

Just got off Fantasy and out servers were very nice and quick to act. However, people at table complained all week about food coming lukewarm or cold, which I assume is server’s fault? They would send it back and head server would be there bringing it back hot! Also, many complaints about meat being overcooked (not severs fault).

The Fantasy keeps doing the same old boring itineraries year after year. The Wonder has the advantage of going to Alaska and going to a much wider variety of ports. Helps keep the staff around for years.

agree the fantasy has boring itineraries. Hopefully when the new ships come out we will get some better ones on the dream or fantasy.

WDW
newest ships dcl has
Lots of people like the very short 3 and 4. Night cruises.
caribbean is ok for a few cruises

Really? I was one and done on the Bahamas. You would have to pay me to get off the ship in Nassau.

Another way for a good survey is for them to do an excellent job.
Yes, but there are things the server cannot influence. They should separate food ratings and service ratings plus hire more servers. Less tables per servers give opportunities to interact with guests better to find out the type of service the guest prefers and/or bring out the food as soon as it is done, before it gets cold.

Really? I was one and done on the Bahamas. You would have to pay me to get off the ship in Nassau.

The MacSpiffs have done four Dream cruises, #5 coming up in August (assuming the coronavirus doesn't interfere). The shorter cruises mesh better with our work schedules and we have family near PC to visit when we're sailing from there. Haven't gotten bored yet.

How does the Dream or the Fantasy attract return cruisers?
Easy: (1) both sail from port canaveral, which means you can combine it with a WDW trip; (2) for a lot of americans, Orlando is wither drivable or there are plentiful and cheap flights to Orlando that make the cruise cost more affordable—every time I’ve priced airfare to vancouver or Europe for our family of 5, the cost was much much more than orlando; (3) cabins for 5 are plentiful on those ships, which usually means I can get a better room (eg not under the noisy pool deck) cheaper on the dream class than the classics; (4) the ships are newer and have bells and whistles like the aquaduck, star wars simulators in kids club, and upgraded rainforest room.

Just off the Wonder this a.m. in New Orleans. I, too, noticed the servers seemed to be... rushed? overworked? too much on their plates? (pun intended). Maybe, as a previous poster said, their duties have been changed. Maybe more tables to cover? I don't know. At any rate, our servers were excellent, both in the MDRs and Palo. One mentioned the survey on the last night as we were walking out. They were all very attentive and truly wanted us to be happy. The food in Palo was, as usual, exceptional. The food in the MDRs was, as usual, good to very good, with some excellent and some misses. Our ninth DCL cruise and our servers were some of the best we have had. We loved the Tiana's Place menu as well.
We were on the same cruise (our 10th)! I thought the service was fine. Our children are no longer small, so we do not experience the magic tricks, etc. that the services used to do with our children. We thought the food was very good as well.

I think a lot of people, international visitors especially, tend to add a cruise to their park and so the 3 or 4 fits in perfectly for them. We live in Florida and the ability to drive to the port is a huge plus for us.

yep I only go to the Bahamas to try a new ship. One time on the wonder to the Bahamas and one time on the dream. Next time will be on the wish.
But Lots of people like the really short cruises more than any other cruise.

I think a lot of people, international visitors especially, tend to add a cruise to their park and so the 3 or 4 fits in perfectly for them. We live in Florida and the ability to drive to the port is a huge plus for us.

Yes you are right but I'm guessing that Castaway Key and the ship itself are really the draw. Not any of the port stops.

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter