Deck Parties, Etc. A thing of the past?

With a lower capacity (50-60% full) maybe DCL can add more performances or space people out for inside shows or single events held up top...but, what about the Safety Drill??
Unless they do it in shifts, or cabin by cabin somehow, it will be a challenge. This will be an issue for all cruise lines.
I am sure all buffet food will be served to you, no more handling food as you pick the best item.
Photo ops with characters??? Maybe they will have cutouts of the princesses and critters. I will truly miss the hug, or the tap on the shoulder by Captain Hook (did this to my wife and she jumped 2 feet).
I am assuming that the first DCL cruises will get off in December of this year. Even if it is early next year it will be very interesting to read the trip reports about how the Mouse copes with all the new rules and regs. We have three scheduled for next year and are willing to wear a mask most places on the ship if directed. Maybe a gift on our bed of an array of 5 Disney masks will make wearing the darn facial hammock bearable.

They will serve you for buffet. Likely no characters to start. Royal Caribbean just filed a trademark for an e-muster drill, you would likely have to watch a video on your cabin TV or your phone to do check in or something along those lines. There's no doubt the sailings will look different when they start but when they do start I will be happy. Hopefully things calm down by this upcoming summer/next fall. Only time will tell.

There are a few cruises that are experimenting right now. These are some of the things they have implemented and what we can probably expect on DCL, initially.

MSC has sailed with 70% occupancy, in the Mediterranean. You must be swab tested and then wait 60-90 minutes to get the result back. They have staggered embarkation times to facilitate this process. There will be social distancing, with about 50% occupancy in some public venues. Cruisers will wear a digital contact tracing wristband. There will be no self-service food stations but at a buffet, staff will prepare your plate. At specialty restaurants they will use QR codes to access a digital menu. They have upgraded HVAC systems and will us UV-C irradiation. They are cleaning, wearing masks and controlling shore excursions.

Carnival Cruise Lines, Costa brand just had a cruise leave Monday visiting Italian ports. Their information lists some of the same protocols as MSC, but they did provide that crew will have been tested and quarantined for 14 days and then will be re-tested every 30 days. They will have repeat performances at shows to accommodate smaller audiences. They are only having seated restaurants.

There are a few cruises that are experimenting right now. These are some of the things they have implemented and what we can probably expect on DCL, initially.

MSC has sailed with 70% occupancy, in the Mediterranean. You must be swab tested and then wait 60-90 minutes to get the result back. They have staggered embarkation times to facilitate this process. There will be social distancing, with about 50% occupancy in some public venues. Cruisers will wear a digital contact tracing wristband. There will be no self-service food stations but at a buffet, staff will prepare your plate. At specialty restaurants they will use QR codes to access a digital menu. They have upgraded HVAC systems and will us UV-C irradiation. They are cleaning, wearing masks and controlling shore excursions.

Carnival Cruise Lines, Costa brand just had a cruise leave Monday visiting Italian ports. Their information lists some of the same protocols as MSC, but they did provide that crew will have been tested and quarantined for 14 days and then will be re-tested every 30 days. They will have repeat performances at shows to accommodate smaller audiences. They are only having seated restaurants.
I read about them and hope that this is laying the groundwork for DCL to bring on the water mouse (mice) in a few months. By the way, we saw several cute wombats in Australia a few years ago and I even got a stuffed one before we left. We held a koala, visited emus, rode a camel and tried to tell the difference between a wallaby and a kangaroo. Love that country!!! I even had a friendly argument with an Australian guy about why the letter "r" was not pronounced in the word/city of Cairns. "We have too much to say, we don't have time for it," he said.

Not surprising, but this is slowly turning into one of those thread that started with only questions about "deck parties" into a broader food, entertainment and large gathering issue. My thoughts

• On deck parties such as sail away: DCL could do repeats of some of these, with controlled/ticketed access. For Sail-Away which is one and done - maybe they double up with an inside and outside version ran at the same time (Ok, not sure that Disney will allow two Mickey's to be live at the same time... but you got to do what you got to do...). For fireworks, maybe DCL has more than one fireworks night...wishful thinking as this increases costs but why not. Or they do it twice in one night if they can set it up... Disneyland has fireworks twice on NYE...
  • On Muster Drill - This has been discussed before. Some cruise lines intend to experiment with mandatory in-room video watching but staggering is indeed another option... Could become part of the embarkation process maybe...

Not surprising, but this is slowly turning into one of those thread that started with only questions about "deck parties" into a broader food, entertainment and large gathering issue. My thoughts

• On deck parties such as sail away: DCL could do repeats of some of these, with controlled/ticketed access. For Sail-Away which is one and done - maybe they double up with an inside and outside version ran at the same time (Ok, not sure that Disney will allow two Mickey's to be live at the same time... but you got to do what you got to do...). For fireworks, maybe DCL has more than one fireworks night...wishful thinking as this increases costs but why not. Or they do it twice in one night if they can set it up... Disneyland has fireworks twice on NYE...
  • On Muster Drill - This has been discussed before. Some cruise lines intend to experiment with mandatory in-room video watching but staggering is indeed another option... Could become part of the embarkation process maybe...

Muster Drill as apart of the Embarkation Process would be kind of awesome, pandemic or not. Also like the idea of the inside/outside Sail Away. But would just eventually (Fall 2021) love to see parties, at least outside on the deck, return to what we know and love. I don't think multiple firework showings are completely out of the realm of possibility, at least down the line a little bit, I can see cutting it out during initial reopening and sailing to save.

They will serve you for buffet. Likely no characters to start. Royal Caribbean just filed a trademark for an e-muster drill, you would likely have to watch a video on your cabin TV or your phone to do check in or something along those lines. There's no doubt the sailings will look different when they start but when they do start I will be happy. Hopefully things calm down by this upcoming summer/next fall. Only time will tell.
TV muster would be awesome!!! I’ve heard they did that in the past when people arriving on DCL-purchased flights or ground transportation are delayed and arrive too late for muster. Maybe combined with a requirement that you sign a form/check a box on the app acknowledging you watched the muster video and know where your station is.

TV muster would be awesome!!! I’ve heard they did that in the past when people arriving on DCL-purchased flights or ground transportation are delayed and arrive too late for muster. Maybe combined with a requirement that you sign a form/check a box on the app acknowledging you watched the muster video and know where your station is.

Holland America does a video muster on the new ships because they have eliminated their promenades. It could be improved upon by your suggestion though.

You remain in your stateroom and watch a video and then you go to an assigned area (bars, restaurants, or theater) for them to give a few more instructions and check you in.

Obviously, it's nice because no one enjoys standing outside on deck. I would like the ability to check in on the app, but if they want to see me in person for a few minutes, I can live with it.

Another aspect of the way HAL is doing their muster that I can appreciate, is that in case of a real emergency, you have people gathering in different areas of the ship and not everyone trying to get to their spot on the deck. I just hope I never have to experience it in real time.

I've always wondered why they haven't done TV musters. On the classic ships, they make you muster outside, on the deck, in the sun right at the 4:30p hot part of the day. Some people have spent the day traveling from cooler whether places and are not acclimated to the Miami heat/humidity and they pack you in lines on the deck like sardines. I've actually seen people semi-pass out and have to be taken inside during the drill.

Be aware that MSC is having is White Party deck party during its current sailings. I only saw a couple of pictures. No feet that I recall. People seemed to be in little groups so maybe markings on the ground. Mask compliance seemed good.

So deck parties seem most certainly to not be completely of the past.

But are those restrictions and protocols forever?
I know to some the Sail Away Parties, See Ya Real Soon, Pirate Nights, etc, are not deal breakers but I can't help but be heartbroken thinking this is the new permanent future of cruising.
It isn't permanent. It amazes me how many people think that life will never go back to normal. It will.

That said, there will be restrictions & cutbacks early on.

It isn't permanent. It amazes me how many people think that life will never go back to normal. It will.

That said, there will be restrictions & cutbacks early on.

Oh, I’m not one of those people. I have just been feeling absolutely insane lately thinking “Why do people think everything pre March 2020 is canceled and forever changed?”
I’m not downplaying they severity of this year and pandemic, I just don’t think we will be living in this bubble mentality forever and wanted to see if I really was in the minority of thinking that.

For sure agree it will be a pretty restricted vacation in the early sailings!

I would be very disappointed if Disney limited the number of attendees to major events like the Sail A Wave Party or Pirate Night. I sailed RC once and it was annoying that we had to get tickets to nightly shows and events. DCL was great because all the entertainment was there for everyone

I would be very disappointed if Disney limited the number of attendees to major events like the Sail A Wave Party or Pirate Night. I sailed RC once and it was annoying that we had to get tickets to nightly shows and events. DCL was great because all the entertainment was there for everyone

I don't think it will last forever, just until we can, hopefully, get the virus to behave in the population like the others we have encountered in the past.

Can we talk about the elevators for a moment? I think that is the only place on the ship I can't avoid being shoulder to shoulder with people, especially if we end up on Deck 2.

Can we talk about the elevators for a moment? I think that is the only place on the ship I can't avoid being shoulder to shoulder with people, especially if we end up on Deck 2.
Only solution is the stairs...we use them all the time...but, how to not touch the handrails. Coming from the top deck to deck 2 might be tricky.

Only solution is the stairs...we use them all the time...but, how to not touch the handrails. Coming from the top deck to deck 2 might be tricky.

I can teach you. I do it all the time and have been doing it for years. It usually works very well on cruise ships because they have a continuous handrail. You put your arm over the railing and hold on with your forearm. I haven't ever fallen and I'll gladly take a broken arm, rather than a broken neck.

At WDW, the hotels had posted signs saying that elevators were for single parties or groups of up to 4 people from different parties (such that you'd each stand on one corner). People were pretty good about complying as far as I could tell. There were distance markers to stand on while you wait for the elevators. It wasn't super efficient, but really not that big of a deal. The most annoying part of it is when you are on the elevator, the doors would still open on other floors and we'd have to the sheepish "sorry" to people waiting to get on (or vice versa, when we were waiting for an elevator on our hotel floor, sometimes the door would open and it would be full so we had to press the button again and wait for an empty one). It would be nice if they could work it out so that once someone inside the elevator presses a button, the elevator can no longer be "called" to stop at other floors until it reaches its destination. That seems unlikely though, so I assume that when on the ship we will mostly take the stairs and only use the elevators at off-peak times.

My guess is that sanitizer will be pretty much everywhere on the ship, so you could just hold the handrails and sanitize at the top.

I usually don't hold the handrail when using stairs outside my home [and have been his way for years]. Instead, I hold my hand just above the handrail, ready to grab it if I need it, but not actually touching it. [steep, rickety, etc stairs obviously change that]

Something like this: https://ysm-res.cloudinary.com/imag...yms/prod/5199157c-7bcc-43b4-93bc-f245969c9ee5

On the ship sometimes the seas are rough and holding the handrail is necessary. I carry hand sanitizer with me when outside our stateroom, so if we do have to hold the handrail we use that once we're off the stairs. Presumably once cruising resumes there will be plentiful hand sanitizer stations.

SW

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter