December NY to FW trip

No_strings

Earning My Ears
Hi all, family is heading down to FW in late Dec from NY. Looking to make the trip in 2 days if possible and looking for any recommendations on 2 campgrounds to stay. Prefer full hookups. Thanks!!

The night before we arrive at Disney we always stay at The New Green Acres at exit 53 on I/95 in Walterboro, SC Where in NY are you leaving from; it makes a difference.

I do 2 overnights on the way down. So i can rest before heading in from nj. Yea, not ideal but kids and all. Just make sure you can handle the stops. I do koas on the way down, there all right on the hyway and pull through sites. I usually end in saint marries koa about 3 hours out from the fort on the way down. So im there early and refreshed. And yea ny is big so it does matter.

No Strings, as stated where in NY you are leaving from makes a HUGE difference. I was originally from LI and in 76 did straight run and took just over 24 hours ( Hint I was 20 at the time) Also How long are you comfortable in towing/ driving your rig.
We now live in Delaware and have a 979 mile trek to the reception outpost. As our sole driver and set up/ tear down person and dog walker, I make sure that we stop for night buy 4 pm. Going to/from Disney I have 2 place that work perfectly for us. I am comfortable with 300 to 350 miles travel each day. Like SJM9911 we spend night before check in within 1 hour of The Fort to check in early.
We have yet to stop or stay there But Camp Pedro in South of the Border is pretty close to the Midway Point for us. A friend that had lived in NJ used them as overnight stop for years.

Depending on your route, we stayed in the Cordele KOA in GA the night before we checked into Fort Wilderness. We were coming from Canada.

Coming from Long Island and in a drivable motorhome 33’ long. Will be doing all the driving but comfortable going 500 miles in a day with stops/breaks in between. Normally we stop in Florence SC when driving a car.

You just have to watch the dc area, hit it way before or after morning traffic. Addtionally, i have to look up the one bridge that will not let you over with any propane. The alt route adds like 45 mins onto the drive. See , how far you want to go, add in for stops and then look for campgrounds in that area. Its a long drive and a accident or any road work will hamper your plans.

Fort mchennry tunnel, you need to take the Francis scott key bridge. There are signs, i think.

Im stopping at einfeild koa then saint marrys on the way down. Einfeild, is a bit weird, but its only an overnight. I swore i wouldnt stay there again, but it was the only availability I could find. Were doing sanete lakes and washing dc south or something like that on the return. Tbh, i just looked for pull throughs, and close to the hyway. Easy in and out. Some take a longer route through pa and sware its an easier nicer drive. But its a bit longer.

No String Yes both DC and BMore are on your way going down 95, something to bear in mind when considering day 1 travel. Along with sunset will happen around 4:30 pm so you will likely get to your overnight stop in the dark.
Given I don't know where you live , using Farmingdale as a starting point I would suggest the Campgrounds all of which I have stayed at once or use regularly for our Disney Trip.
Camp Wilderness part of the Old Dominion Park around Richmond Va, Stayed once on way home in Jan. Would definately stay again. Carolina Crossroads RV Resort Just over the border into NC at exit 171 (Good Sam has 452 miles). Fayetteville RV Resort exit 61 so figure 562 miles.
Day 2 we stop at Camp Lake Jasper in Hardeville SC off exit 8. ( 375 miles from Carolina Crossroads I've clocked it) Never stayed at St Mary's Koa in Brunswick Ga but have on very good authority it is very worthy of consideration

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter