December 2020 - keep or cancel?

It sounds like you have a really good plan. I appreciate you sharing some of those extra precautions which I plan on incorporating if we do go. Definitely looking into the air purifier. We will have a 2-bedroom. Will one purifier be enough for the whole 2-bedroom unit?

The Levoit Core 300 filters a ~200 sq ft room 5 times per hour. That’s a little smaller than the average DVC studio, so ideally you’d either want two small purifiers or one larger one for a 2BR, but that would take up a lot of luggage space! As it is, mine takes up a carry on sized luggage.

If you wanted to bring one “small” purifier, you could leave it in the bedroom and close the door since that’s the room you’ll spend the most hours in sleeping.

I know the purifier probably sounds crazy to most people, but I figure why not do what you can to minimize risk where it’s possible!

Had a Dec. 2020 large family trip planned, switched to Jan. 2021 and hoped one DS and his wife and 4 year old would join (I had a OKW GV and hated to give it up!). Just cancelled that today after DS said he doesn't feel it's safe for us (coming from MD) - though I tried to entice him by saying we'd drive the 15 1/2 hours, have a pop-up tent and porta potty in the car, not have to go to the parks every day or wake up early, wear masks and clear ponchos, use the hand sanitizing stations they have and so much more!... I don't know why that didn't sound appealing! :D. Booked for April now in a 2 bdrm for "just" 5 nights to use just the 2019 points we have banked (June UY). Hoping that, at least, DH and I will drive to use the reservation. I plan to bank my 2020 points and hope for the best next year. If DH and I decide not to go, I will probably gift the reservation to family in FL - I assume that's possible, though I would never usually do that!!! :sad:

KEEP!!! Our stay is third week of December - Riviera and Beach Club -- it's ALL I WANT for Christmas. Current events are making me nervous that there will be obstacles with traveling. We do all we can do to be safe so plan to go if no travel issues. Flying out of ISP in NY also. I think we are at 39 days until our visit and have no desire to cancel. :santa:

Most of the new cases are just confirmed cases, that is people who tested positive. Since many people have no or few symptoms they do not get tested until they have a reason to such as for work or travel. We will see a larger number of confirmed cases so long as more testing is taking place.

Most of the new cases are just confirmed cases, that is people who tested positive. Since many people have no or few symptoms they do not get tested until they have a reason to such as for work or travel. We will see a larger number of confirmed cases so long as more testing is taking place.
Around here we're also seeing an increase in hospitalizations, so an increase in number of people who are actually sick enough not just to be tested but to be hospitalized. That's the scary thing.

Around here we're also seeing an increase in hospitalizations, so an increase in number of people who are actually sick enough not just to be tested but to be hospitalized. That's the scary thing.

Same in my area, loads of new infections and hospitals are getting strained. I am thinking we will likely postpone our December trip due to all the uncertainty.

Minnesota and the surrounding states are seeing increasing numbers of deaths, and are running out of hospital beds. Beds aren't the problem, though, it's lack of doctors and nurses and other critical staff.

Aloha from Hawaii! we have just made the extremely difficult choice to cancel our December Polynesian stay. For us the amount of travel it would take to get there just did not feel like the right thing for our little family. My son is 14 months old and too young for a mask and I am uncomfortable with him on a plane for that amount of time. This will be the first year EVER that we have not gone to Disney World in the month of December. But with cases rising on the mainland and having to test prior ti heading home we decided it just was not right for us to go this year.

It's such a hard choice to make. Everyone is different and will say or do different things, but at the end of the day you need to do what YOU think is best for your family.

We canceled and booked May. But were going to lose our flights, thought we were getting a refund but it didn't turn out that way. So we may go for a long weekend in December and finish the trip in May, not really sure. We are both very conflicted.

I tried to entice him by saying we'd drive the 15 1/2 hours, have a pop-up tent and porta potty in the car, not have to go to the parks every day or wake up early, wear masks and clear ponchos, use the hand sanitizing stations they have and so much more!... I don't know why that didn't sound appealing! :D.

This made me laugh!! It is so appealing :)!!

We thought we would keep, but the new cases are giving us pause.

We are starting to feel a little bit of that as well. My DD also has a routine cardiology appointment next week. Going to talk through with the Doc but he could easily sway me to cancel at this point. Especially since Disney has confirmed increased park capacity and still no announcement of FPs coming back :worried:.

This thread makes me sad ... and a little nervous. We have canceled and rebooked so many trips this year. We have banked Feb UY points expiring 1/31/21 so we are also planning/hoping to go in December. I agree, the new park capacity ## are a little concerning, but we are getting better masks and if we can fly nonstop from NYC I think the flights will be safe enough. (I had to fly in September for a family emergency and flights in/out of NYC were half full and my fellow passengers were as cautious as I was. Connecting flights, not so much.) Ironically, since DH and I are both essential workers, the new testing protocol made it more possible for us to travel, and we really need a vacation! At least it will be warm, (or warmer than NYC) so it will be a break no matter what we do. We'll spend as much time outside as we can. And we're all used to masks and washing hands all the time, so it's not really any different from what we are doing now.

We canceled and booked May. But were going to lose our flights, thought we were getting a refund but it didn't turn out that way. So we may go for a long weekend in December and finish the trip in May, not really sure. We are both very conflicted.

Can you rebook your flights? Airlines are being pretty flexible about modifying flights and at least rolling the value forward. I have flights on AA that I have changed 3-4x, and on JetBlue that I have changed once. This last time I was able to do all the modifications online instead of calling, which was nice. One of them I had to pay a bit more; the other I think I have a tiny credit or a tiny upcharge, can't remember. But you can see online whether the new ticket will cost more or less, and plan your flights accordingly.

We are still going. The actual parks and the airplane concern me less than going to my in laws house for thanksgiving which will be filled with people who won't be masked, inside, who have been actively going to parties, having parties and hanging out with other people like no big deal....

We know we will be in places where people are required to wear masks, we know where we have decided to eat is either outside or extremely well ventilated/spaced out.

We know if we feel uncomfortable anywhere, we can leave whatever location. We will have a 1 bedroom and are getting groceries.

We know that when we get home, we are staying home - just like we've been since march.

For the same reason I would NEVER presume to suggest that people who do not feel comfortable going are "living in fear" I wouldn't ever say to someone going that they have different standards of safety for their family or a "crystal ball"....because you know...that's pretty condescending. But maybe that's just me...

We feel we are making a researched decision. We cancelled a few trips this year when things were really bad bc of the numbers giving us pause, but the parks and resorts were open- and instead we stayed home. We watched other people go, watched the parks continue to be safe, watched the masks continue to be on and CM's continue to police it, watched the cleaning measures not get cut, not slacking, hand washing and sanitizing everywhere.

At home, we don't go to bars, indoor restaurants, to parties, to recreational indoor activities. We ARE going to Disney. We don't have different safety standards. We've just evaluated it to be a safe risk.

facebook twitter