Debt Dumpers - 2019

I've also read that Disney+ package would be bundling possibly with Hulu (ad version) and ESPN (now, I don't track ESPN channels and what all is out there regarding ESPN at ALL, so I don't know what version that is even supposed to be).

If Disney+ does end up having a bundle offering, that could maybe take care of the sports I mentioned, Hulu would be not so great with the ads. I forgot to mention DirectTV Now threw in HBO Go for "free" for us (DH had billing issues with them for a few months not honoring their promotional rate and billing us wrong, and so they added the HBO on at no additional cost).

I've also read that Disney+ package would be bundling possibly with Hulu (ad version) and ESPN (now, I don't track ESPN channels and what all is out there regarding ESPN at ALL, so I don't know what version that is even supposed to be).

If Disney+ does end up having a bundle offering, that could maybe take care of the sports I mentioned, Hulu would be not so great with the ads. I forgot to mention DirectTV Now threw in HBO Go for "free" for us (DH had billing issues with them for a few months not honoring their promotional rate and billing us wrong, and so they added the HBO on at no additional cost).
They formally announced the Disney+/Hulu w/ ads/ESPN+ Bundle. It’s $12.99/month, no annual deal.

Where we live the internet provider is Spectrum (also known as Charter), we pay $111 a month for 300 mbps internet and landline. I have gamers in my house, so we need the fastest speed available (also nice when we're all running the TV's). Cut the cord ages ago, have Netflix (for YEARS), Amazon Prime (because 2 day shipping!), and ad free Hulu (tried with ads first, it was ruining my life!). Signed on for Disney+ because cheap, and I figure 3 years is enough time to see if we want to keep it (lol). Will never go back to ads! Never! But I also have recurring subs that most of you probably don't: Acorn (british television sub $4.99 mo.) Spotify family (some of you probably have this), Final Fantasy sub (Online video game, 2 people), World of Warcraft sub (Online video game, 2 people), Amazon unlimited Kindle (AVID reader here, but got a deal paying 2 years up front for $3.84 mo. w/ tax), and a foreign language learning app DS 24 is using to learn Japanese since DS27 already knows it. He wants to know some japanese before the trip we are planning for all the asia Disney parks in maybe 2021? He's also using his bro's college books with the app, so double the exposure. Having all these separate subs is nice, but also complicated to keep track of! I like being able to pick and choose only what we want, but I also have to keep track of when we get billed and how much. We also have an antenna for local channels, and DH watches sports on his ipad so that has never been an issue.

Because there always has to be something, the dryer isn't turning on. It worked fine last night when DS16 was doing his laundry. This happened not quite a year ago and they replaced the thermal fuse (twice!) before telling me to get my exterior vent cleaned because it was clogged and kept blowing the fuse. So we got it cleaned less than a year ago and now I wonder if it's the same problem. Lately though, clothing that hadn't ever gotten wrinkled has started coming out of the dryer wrinkled, so maybe it's something else? I hate machines when they don't work. Earliest repair appointment is next Friday, so I'll be pulling out my huge drying rack I bought last year when we had a month when the dryer wasn't working because of these issues. Silver lining of sending my kid off to college, I can put it in his room and not trip over it in my own room! Lol.

I did a thing. After talking it over with DH and mom (best next door neighbor EVER!), I applied for a new job...out of state. I don't even know if I'll get an acknowledgement, but I applied to try and better myself and move somewhere we've talked about for years. It feels good to try and get out from a petty boss, even if the pay is good. He keeps saying that he'll retire, but come back part-time. So, here's to a leap of faith. Maybe it will, maybe it won't, but it felt good to wake up this morning knowing that I have tried.

Happy Friday, friends!

They formally announced the Disney+/Hulu w/ ads/ESPN+ Bundle. It’s $12.99/month, no annual deal.
I'll have DH look at whether he wants ESPN or not. I wonder how that works if I already signed up for the 3 year promo deal. It was $140.97.

DirectTV Now changed over to ATT TV Now apparently, had to update my apps.
Because there always has to be something, the dryer isn't turning on. It worked fine last night when DS16 was doing his laundry. This happened not quite a year ago and they replaced the thermal fuse (twice!) before telling me to get my exterior vent cleaned because it was clogged and kept blowing the fuse. So we got it cleaned less than a year ago and now I wonder if it's the same problem. Lately though, clothing that hadn't ever gotten wrinkled has started coming out of the dryer wrinkled, so maybe it's something else? I hate machines when they don't work. Earliest repair appointment is next Friday, so I'll be pulling out my huge drying rack I bought last year when we had a month when the dryer wasn't working because of these issues. Silver lining of sending my kid off to college, I can put it in his room and not trip over it in my own room! Lol.
We rent, and have that issue with the dryer here. Clothes come out wrinkled. We had our own washer/dryer, but with this house our dryer hookup doesn't match the old one in here so using what was here and notified the owner, waiting to see what they'll do about this dryer. The washer hookup worked, because they had a horrible washing machine, so we were able to just use the one we owned. Not so with dryer.
I did a thing. After talking it over with DH and mom (best next door neighbor EVER!), I applied for a new job...out of state. I don't even know if I'll get an acknowledgement, but I applied to try and better myself and move somewhere we've talked about for years. It feels good to try and get out from a petty boss, even if the pay is good. He keeps saying that he'll retire, but come back part-time. So, here's to a leap of faith. Maybe it will, maybe it won't, but it felt good to wake up this morning knowing that I have tried.

Happy Friday, friends!
That's great! Sometimes we have to take that leap of faith.

We rent, and have that issue with the dryer here. Clothes come out wrinkled. We had our own washer/dryer, but with this house our dryer hookup doesn't match the old one in here so using what was here and notified the owner, waiting to see what they'll do about this dryer. The washer hookup worked, because they had a horrible washing machine, so we were able to just use the one we owned. Not so with dryer.
I made an appointment for the vent cleaning for the day before the dryer repair guy comes and will keep that because it should be done anyway, but I am thinking more about just buying a new dryer since we keep having issues. DH and I will discuss this weekend. There are some sales going on for the next couple of weeks, it might be worth it. We'll see.

Man, it is hard to believe that summer is just about over!

I finally feel like I have been adjusting to my new job. Been reading a lot about Dave Ramsey, and the one part of his baby step plan that stood out to me was the $1,000 emergency fund. My goal this year had been to save $5,000 as my emergency fund, and I was on track to hit that goal no problem. However, I have been thinking, do I really need that much right now? I rent, my car is newer, I take public transport to work, and I do not have any pets or family members that I am taking care of. My student loan interest rate is much higher than the interest rate of my savings account, so I sent a payment of $2,000 off to my student loans 🎉! After September, my loans will be under $30,000! I will also be taking that amount of money that I was saving per month and instead sending it off to my student loans.

I hope everyone has a lovely Labor Day Weekend! :)

I finally feel like I have been adjusting to my new job. Been reading a lot about Dave Ramsey, and the one part of his baby step plan that stood out to me was the $1,000 emergency fund. My goal this year had been to save $5,000 as my emergency fund, and I was on track to hit that goal no problem. However, I have been thinking, do I really need that much right now? I rent, my car is newer, I take public transport to work, and I do not have any pets or family members that I am taking care of. My student loan interest rate is much higher than the interest rate of my savings account, so I sent a payment of $2,000 off to my student loans 🎉! After September, my loans will be under $30,000! I will also be taking that amount of money that I was saving per month and instead sending it off to my student loans.
Those are all good points to consider when deciding on how much of a beginner emergency fund to start with. He never waivers from $1000 baby step one right now, and if it's anything else then it's not his method as he likes to say. He has step 3 to come back and beef up the emergency fund after the debt payoff, with three to six months of living expenses.

I listened to Ramsey back in the late 90s maybe it was 1998, on AM radio from 1-3 pm when I had to do some drive and drop offs for work, and I distinctly remember him having slightly different messages. I'm not saying completely different, but why does his not skimping on his groceries stick in my mind from back then? Probably nobody remembers this at all.

Update on my grandma. She has now met with the oncologist a few times, they ran more tests and came up with a treatment plan. Her diagnosis has been revised from stage 4 to stage 3. The tumor has not metastasized, so that is good. She is a candidate for immunotherapy, so the plan is for chemo, radiation and then immunotherapy. They gave her an appetite enhancer to make her more hungry since she wasn't eating much. My mom said that she seems to be doing better overall and eating a lot more.

Those are all good points to consider when deciding on how much of a beginner emergency fund to start with. He never waivers from $1000 baby step one right now, and if it's anything else then it's not his method as he likes to say. He has step 3 to come back and beef up the emergency fund after the debt payoff, with three to six months of living expenses.

I listened to Ramsey back in the late 90s maybe it was 1998, on AM radio from 1-3 pm when I had to do some drive and drop offs for work, and I distinctly remember him having slightly different messages. I'm not saying completely different, but why does his not skimping on his groceries stick in my mind from back then? Probably nobody remembers this at all.
Oh, I remember! DH used to say "beans and rice, rice and beans" a lot (quoting Dave Ramsay from back then) when we went grocery shopping, lol. That is all you were supposed to eat while paying down debt! While we still use some of the teachings of Mr. Ramsay, beans and rice is not one of them. Or the cash in the envelope, since we rarely carry cash any more. And we use credit cards - but only if we have the cash to pay what we charge. Then we use the points for travel.

Oh, I remember! DH used to say "beans and rice, rice and beans" a lot (quoting Dave Ramsay from back then) when we went grocery shopping, lol. That is all you were supposed to eat while paying down debt! While we still use some of the teachings of Mr. Ramsay, beans and rice is not one of them. Or the cash in the envelope, since we rarely carry cash any more. And we use credit cards - but only if we have the cash to pay what we charge. Then we use the points for travel.
Even before that saying, I don't know why but something about saying the one area they didn't skimp was groceries? Then came the rice and beans. Oh well, maybe I'm thinking of something else but I had that thought many times when I heard the rice and beans, thinking, wait, didn't he say something else way back in the day about groceries?

In the meantime, Sep 1st here! Just about the last quarter for the calendar year. Saving aside for emergency fund on projection, and also Roth IRA funding for January. Roth IRA is first focus in 2020. Not focusing on car loan until under 10k.

Also, planning for an April 2020 WDW trip.

The good news part 1: DH quit has job with his vindictive boss, and not a day too soon. He actually put in his 2 weeks on the 19th, and was fired on the 22nd, though she tried her best to make it seem like it wasn't him being fired but that she thought he would want to leave earlier than his 2 weeks so she was "letting him". The fact that she purged all his credentials and changed the door locks before telling him of this though says otherwise. :headache: Thankfully he was able to get right into his new job and he loves it and it is going great.

2nd good news: We did well in August budget-wise, and had been talking about taking a short vacation this fall and realized we could afford it now with his new job, so on Thursday I booked us a 5 night WDW trip in November! We are driving and just doing 2 park days and 2 Disney Springs/resorts days to keep costs down, but we are very much looking forward to it! We have a longer WDW trip in March so we don't mind this one being short. We will be doing AK and DHS (yay Galaxy's Edge!) and several new restaurants for us.

The bad news: Of course, the day after I booked our WDW trip I ran over debris in the roadway and it shredded one of my tires and dented up the front of my car. What actually happened is the car in front of me first hit it (not sure what it was, just a very large chunk of hard plastic) and it did really bad damage to his car, actually snapped the drive train for his back wheels and lots of other damage underneath that made his car undriveable, then it flew back and hit the front of my car and I ran over it before I could react, then the SUV behind me had the same thing happen. It shattered one of the reflectors and dented up the SUV's front bumper pretty bad too, but thankfully all of us in all 3 vehicles are fine. We had been planning on replacing all 4 of my tires before winter anyway as they were getting low on tread and I drive a lot for work, but hadn't saved up specifically for that yet, so I had to put it on a credit card yesterday when they got replaced, but we will have the money for it in the next week so it won't truly add to debt. I'm not actually going to do anything about the bumper, it's just a dent and my car is a 2011 with many small scratches and dents already. Technically insurance would replace it, but we have a $500 deductible and it's not worth it to us.

I'm baaack! It's been awhile!! Happy September!!
Let's see- August in review...
Trip to Disney in early August: The Fairy Tales event was exhausting! Those pin traders are for REAL!! The lines were so long that we rented a wheelchair just to have a place to sit. My daughter was in her element and had a great time. She got to meet some of her friends and "influencers" from Instagram and it was nice to see a group of people who were all there for the same thing. I imagine it is what going to one of "Cons" is like. The rest of the trip was a blur- I enjoyed the parties but I've decided I'm not paying for those experiences anymore.

We came home for just a few days before we moved her into the University of Florida (UF). That was emotional for sure! All in all it went as well as to be expected and nearly three weeks later she seems happy. Classes started and she went through rush (that was a grueling process!). I'd like her to get out more but right now she's content with getting to know her new sorority sisters. Had a bit of sorority sticker shock- it's not like when I went to school!!

We moved her in on a Wednesday- that Saturday my DH and I loaded the puppies into the car and drove straight home to PA. 19 hours. We are still married. It was touch and go there for a bit!! Unfortunately when I walked into the house we were greeted with a wall of heat. The A/C had died. $7800 later and I am a bit chilly- the old unit must not have been working as well as it could have- I just didn't realize it!

Now for the crazy part... my DD had gotten reservations for SWGE previews- she literally planned her first semester college schedule around what she had reserved. (I may have already talked about this??) Anyways I left the PA house at 3:30am- was on a flight at 5:30am and in Orlando at 8:00am. Fun story- the Magical Express dropped people off at all three All-Stars and then Animal Kingdom. Myself and another couple were headed to Coronado Springs. The bus driver was super friendly and we were just chatting... until I realized we were no where near Coronado. For a brief second I was a little scared- we passed POFQ! I said to the driver "I don't want to question you but where are we going?" He replied- "Coronado Springs". and I was like "we are no where near CS" and he smacked his head... He was taking us to Saratoga Springs!! Whoops. He did a U-turn on Bonnet Creek Pkwy and dropped us off at CS.

Gran Destino Tower- WOW! I loved it and would stay there again in a heartbeat. I was only in for a night but it was super quiet and top notch. I loved the interior corridor that took you to the shop and food court. Loved not going out in the rain or the heat!

I met DD and DH at Gran Destino and we drove over to DHS. Had dinner at Mama Melrose's and was quite pleased. The last time we ate there it was awful so I'm glad they upped their game! By then in was time for our preview. I really enjoyed myself. DD wanted to build a lightsaber and had gotten us a slot. Highly recommend! It's very pricey but the quality is there and it is a total experience. I was quite impressed. We poked around and just tried to enjoy the atmosphere. Didn't get to ride the ride but DD gets motion sick and wasn't in the mood anyways. DD and DH dropped me off at the Contemporary and headed back to Gainesville. I headed to MNSSHP. I had never been before and it was awesome. I was so excited to see the Headless Horseman and all of the other fun bits. I'd love to go back sometime- maybe when I am retired!!

This week I went back to work. For the first time in a long time I was looking forward to going back because I knew it would give me something to do! When I am at work I don't spend any money during the week. I don't go out to eat and once I am in my routine I do NOT like to deviate from it which definitely helps my budget. I've been doing really well not spending on anything extra. I did get Disney+ because it was just too good of a deal but other than that I am on target. I'm looking forward to getting paid on Friday and using our new budget.

I hope everyone has a great week!!

I sold a few items this weekend on Marketplace and made $90.00. Tomorrow is our 20th wedding anniversay so we used that money this weekend to celebrate. It was kind of nice to celebrate and not use any money out of budget. One a personal note we are struggling with our 18 year old son. He is an auto mechanic and won't stop buying tools from these companies that come to his work. He also has totaled 2 cars (one of them he had no insurance and hit someone) that he owes money from. He is in debt of about $20,000. He wants to handle it all on his own without any guidance or help but he doesn't handle it. He just assumes it will go away even though a few of his debts are about to go to collection. He lives with us right now but he is not following the contract that he signed to continue to live with us (he moved out with friends which didn't last long). Does any have advice or guideance? He is going down a bad road and I want to help but he does not want it.

Even before that saying, I don't know why but something about saying the one area they didn't skimp was groceries? Then came the rice and beans. Oh well, maybe I'm thinking of something else but I had that thought many times when I heard the rice and beans, thinking, wait, didn't he say something else way back in the day about groceries?

In the last ~8 months, I have become an obsessed Dave Ramsey baby stripper (including listening to 3 years worth of YouTube videos/podcasts). He does say “rice & beans, beans & rice” is how you should live while in debt, but that is not meant to be taken literally. Yes, it is the first thing you pay/put money aside for when you get paid (as per of your four walls when budgeting), however, you should be mindful of what you are eating and not getting “steak & lobster” type groceries. I think in general, those who are “gazelle intense” toward being debt free spend about $100/person/month on food. Obviously this includes NO dining out.
So you are both right. :-)

In the last ~8 months, I have become an obsessed Dave Ramsey baby stripper (including listening to 3 years worth of YouTube videos/podcasts). He does say “rice & beans, beans & rice” is how you should live while in debt, but that is not meant to be taken literally. Yes, it is the first thing you pay/put money aside for when you get paid (as per of your four walls when budgeting), however, you should be mindful of what you are eating and not getting “steak & lobster” type groceries. I think in general, those who are “gazelle intense” toward being debt free spend about $100/person/month on food. Obviously this includes NO dining out.
So you are both right. :-)

Dave Ramsey baby stripper?!! Is that the extra job? LOL.

I am in a spend, spend, spend mood. I want house décor, I want clothes, I just want stuff. So far I have only spent $10 at Dollar Tree. I'm trying to stay strong and avoid social media and ads for a while as it tends to make my want its stronger!

I sold a few items this weekend on Marketplace and made $90.00. Tomorrow is our 20th wedding anniversay so we used that money this weekend to celebrate. It was kind of nice to celebrate and not use any money out of budget. One a personal note we are struggling with our 18 year old son. He is an auto mechanic and won't stop buying tools from these companies that come to his work. He also has totaled 2 cars (one of them he had no insurance and hit someone) that he owes money from. He is in debt of about $20,000. He wants to handle it all on his own without any guidance or help but he doesn't handle it. He just assumes it will go away even though a few of his debts are about to go to collection. He lives with us right now but he is not following the contract that he signed to continue to live with us (he moved out with friends which didn't last long). Does any have advice or guideance? He is going down a bad road and I want to help but he does not want it.
Not really advice, but just a few notes. I have an older child in 20s, though not living at home. She did nothing by the book. It's hard, some young adults just have more challenges whether it be medical/mental or whatever, that just make their road not seemingly so easy as we wish for them.

Yours is 18, so that's still quite young to make their way and he's at home, so there seems to be more time to provide some advice. If they have a passion or career they want to do, or goals, that could be a good lead in to come together with a plan and teaching how to do that slowly without the need for debt, and maybe that's a door of opportunity to talk about the debt they don't want to get guidance on. As far as the current debt of 20k, that is something I can understand your concern. I learned that sometimes, they just don't see things the way the parent does on the concern level when it comes to things like legal and financial consequences. If they have another adult they can get good solid advice from, that's a good thing. This doesn't work for all, wouldn't for mine as she declines religious organizations, but if it fits your scenario there could be a church group or other outreach group that may be helpful.

🤦‍♀️ I actually read that twice before posting too! Ugh...baby STEPPER for those who might be thinking I have a lot of 1’s in my cash envelopes....

Not quite as funny as your typo, but I was typing a Costco list into my phone yesterday and I put in "Aller-flo" and when I looked at it again later on I realized that it auto-corrected to "Alter-ego." I guess you really can by anything at Costco... :rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter